Do you agree with Jon Asher's article about NHRA Leadership? (1 Viewer)

Okay, I’ll respond – again.

Please note that whatever appears here is likely to become moot after NHRA’s release of their altered schedule later this afternoon, something we’re all looking forward to.

Once again the Man-Who-Writes-in-Red asks a question with an obvious answer, which he chooses to ignore, but nevertheless:

What was the point of the editorial? To point out to every fan of NHRA Drag Racing that while every other form of motorsports had remained engaged and connected with the media, NHRA had failed to do so.

Despite what was written, I wasn’t throwing rocks at NHRA, but was merely pointing out a very important shortcoming.

I was asked if I’d made the situation better or worse for having pointed out this shortcoming. My editorial had no impact on that either way. Only NHRA itself can improve the situation – by trying to re-engage with the media and fans.

In responding to the question of whether or not my words had “improved” drag racing or not, see the sentence above. Only NHRA can “improve” things with a better media effort and presence.

As I’ve also previously stated both verbally and in writing, If I wrote something that was incorrect let me know and I’ll try to correct it, but if you just disagree with my opinion, that’s up to you. I didn’t write anything that was incorrect. NHRA has failed to maintain a media presence during the pandemic. NHRA has not been included in the daily virus updates from Sports Business Journal while most other racing organizations have been listed. Chevrolet is putting out regular releases about the virtual racing that’s being hosted by NASCAR and IndyCar. NHRA was not included in the call with others sports organizations and the President. NHRA has furloughed or let go most of the employees in the Media Department. When an organization is absent from the media by its silence it definitely does require more work to re-connect.

So, what was so bad about what I wrote? That I pointed out NHRA’s media failures?

In the world of some of the people posting here, pointing out the errors or mistakes made by the NHRA is pure blasphemy and will not be tolerated.

As I said in my last posting, is anyone here naïve enough to believe that if they write a letter to someone at NHRA, or even call on the phone, that they’re going to get a serious listen or response? One aim of a published editorial is to generate a reaction. In this case that means hoping that NHRA might actually re-start its media efforts.

Keeping silent about the issue wouldn’t have “convinced” NHRA to re-engage. The only thing that would have happened is, uh, nothing, and how does that benefit drag racing?

But those of us who write those editorial do so not to be negative and not to be attacking NHRA. We do it in the hopes that someone in Glendora will perhaps read those words and say to themselves, “Ya know, this guy is right. We do need to…”

Jon Asher

They need to hire you and Odd Job. :)

Im glad to see that many people here consider Jon Asher a perennial complainer. I agree. He himself said a few pages back that there are many better editorial writers than him. So he even complains about his own writing. He talks about these problems he has identified as our problems, that we have to solve. Mr Asher you don’t work for nhra. So they are not your problems to solve. And like Alan said nhra doesn’t need your help. Example: you’re upset that nhra was not on the call with trump. But then when questioned as to why they weren’t , you admit you don’t know how the call was set up and what criteria was used to pick the participants. Thats not journalism. Thats pointless complaining. And that’s what you seem to be good at.

Im glad to see that many people here consider Jon Asher a perennial complainer. I agree. He himself said a few pages back that there are many better editorial writers than him. So he even complains about his own writing.

Complaining about his own writing? I don't think so. I think he's acknowledging there are better writers than himself, out there. That's my interpretation.

He talks about these problems he has identified as our problems, that we have to solve.
Mr Asher you don’t work for nhra. So they are not your problems to solve. And like Alan said nhra doesn’t need your help.

These are our problems. As far as solving them, are you really confident the NHRA brass is currently trying to solve any problems, perceived or real? How would said NHRA brass ever realize there may be a problem, it it's never pointed out? Some around here would prefer everyone keep their heads buried in the sand, because if you can't see a problem, or don't hear about a problem, it's not a problem. Look at baseball. They realize they have severe problems with their game, based on fan and media input, and are SLOWLY working to make the necessary changes to keep themselves relevant, in this much different climate of live and televised sporting events. Even before all this Covid 19 stuff. MLB could have chosen to ignore all the negativity, but would they have been doing the sport any justice by doing so? The answer is absolutely "No!". Most sports organizations are reactionary. They will continue status quo unless something happens to force change. Bringing attention to problems is necessary. Sorry if it hurts some feelings.

Example: you’re upset that nhra was not on the call with trump. But then when questioned as to why they weren’t , you admit you don’t know how the call was set up and what criteria was used to pick the participants. Thats not journalism. Thats pointless complaining. And that’s what you seem to be good at.

How is that "pointless complaining"? What if the attention brought to the neglect gets NHRA on the next call? Better yet, what if the attention somehow registers with the NHRA brass, and instead of sitting back and waiting for Trump or anyone else to call them, they take some initiative? Do you find it as ironic as I, that after this article from Asher, there has been more from the NHRA, than we heard in the previous several weeks?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back