Do you agree with Jon Asher's article about NHRA Leadership? (1 Viewer)

Don’t want to stir this “storm in a lock-down teacup” thread but I did some Google Trends study on this - If the PR is down then the eye-balls should follow.

Should have better things to do with my time but I’m the curious type and social distancing boredom is getting me doing all kinds of time wasting stuff :).

Nearly all motorsport sanctioning body web searches are way down, mostly just above the “off season dip”. NHRA’s is noticeably *below* the normal off season dip and I did not find another sanctioning body (large or small) where this was the case.

Even if Mr Usher is seen by some as always negative, on this occasion at least, he may have a point.

Forgot to add this in my previous post. There's a news gathering App called "Flipboard" that's an electronic version of a news clipping service that I use every day. You can customize it to select the stories you want to view and they have a couple of pages that have drag racing news. Enjoy...

There’s been a lot of pointing out things people don’t like about Jon’s article. But, it doesn’t appear there has been anything or anyone showing inaccuracies in what he wrote.

You keep saying that but you've still failed to address the main component - do you think that NHRA is on the same par as MLB and NASCAR? The answer is no so the remainder of your questions are irrelevant. You need to show why NHRA is in the same league as MLB and NASCAR because that is the basis of Asher's faulty argument.

You keep saying that but you've still failed to address the main component - do you think that NHRA is on the same par as MLB and NASCAR? The answer is no so the remainder of your questions are irrelevant. You need to show why NHRA is in the same league as MLB and NASCAR because that is the basis of Asher's faulty argument.

It’s obvious the mainstream media doesn’t think NHRA is on the same level as the other series.
But, it appears the people taking Asher to task for telling the truth think it is.
If that’s not the case, why are they so upset with what he wrote?
He called a spade a spade.

I'm not talking about the "mainstream media" as you say. I asked you - do you think NHRA is on the same plane as MLB and NASCAR? Does NHRA have the same audience, TV Ratings and make the same amount of money on TV? If not, every other question is irrelevant because Asher's worn out complaining was based on the fact of how other entities are handling the shutdown.

I don't really see too many people "upset" with what he wrote, rather I see people refuting what he wrote. They have seen Asher's one trick pony show and, to use your words, are calling a spade a spade.

In the grand scheme of things, why does it matter what I think about NHRA?
Do I wish NHRA was taken more seriously? Sure I do.
Asher’s column was an opinion piece. I agree with his opinion. It’s as simple as that.
But, again, nobody has yet to prove him wrong in his latest column.

Keep on picking the nits. Asher is right. :D

If anyone cares to go back and reread my posts on the subject, I never said that Jon had the facts wrong, or that any of his information was incorrect. I don't know who is and isn't still working, I just know that right now I'm not.

My first post basically said that it was no surprise that Jon found something negative to write about. That's what he does. As for my reference to "Haters" there are those who would complain if NHRA cured world hunger. If you are not one of them, I wasn't taking to you.

After that I was asking "What's the point?" What is Jon attempting to accomplish by throwing rocks (figuratively) at NHRA?

Terry Almy and I exchanged a couple of thoughts, and when he pointed out that I had
misinterpreted what he was trying to say I apologized.

Micheal Reed then asked me what I saw that was incorrect, and again, I never said that Jon had the facts wrong, I asked him what he was trying to accomplish?

He responded to me like I was both a
nuisance to him and that I was too stupid to understand what he said. I responded to him in kind.

Right now many companies large and small including NHRA are dealing with things that have never been seen before and trying to survive. And Jon decided that this was a good time to pile on. He says he's trying to help.

That prompted my last post, that if this is his idea of "Helping" then I hope he never tries to help me. I would rather not have that kind of help.

As for
constructive criticism, if one of my customers has an issue and brings it to my attention, or if someone sees my work and wants to suggest a possible better way, I'm happy to listen. But if they go on FB or some other public forum to shout to the largest audience that everything I do sucks, don't try to pass it off as "Trying to help".

Alan

After rereading the thread and paying particular attention to Jon's post I have three questions. And I would really like an answer. I could call or text Jon just as he could me. But, this played in in this forum and I would like it to be posted here.

Jon,
1: What was the objective of the original story? To help? To hurt? Or just to throw a turd in the punch bowl?

2: Did you leave the situation better or worse then you found it?

3: You stated, these are YOUR WORDS. "
My intent has ALWAYS been to try and improve drag racing." Did you do that here?

Alan
After rereading the thread and paying particular attention to Jon's post I have three questions. And I would really like an answer. I could call or text Jon just as he could me. But, this played in in this forum and I would like it to be posted here.

Jon,
1: What was the objective of the original story? To help? To hurt? Or just to throw a turd in the punch bowl?

2: Did you leave the situation better or worse then you found it?

3: You stated, these are YOUR WORDS. "
My intent has ALWAYS been to try and improve drag racing." Did you do that here?

Alan
I find it interesting that you refused to answer Micheal Reed s questions ( that might make the NHRA mamagement look bad) but you want your questions about the Asher story answered.

Darrell,

He asked if what Jon had written was true or untrue. I said in the first line of my last post "I never said that Jon had the facts wrong, or that any of his information was incorrect." And I didn't fact check him. I was asking why he thought it was productive to write it. I don't see how it is helpful either long or short term.

Alan

Okay, I’ll respond – again.

Please note that whatever appears here is likely to become moot after NHRA’s release of their altered schedule later this afternoon, something we’re all looking forward to.

Once again the Man-Who-Writes-in-Red asks a question with an obvious answer, which he chooses to ignore, but nevertheless:

What was the point of the editorial? To point out to every fan of NHRA Drag Racing that while every other form of motorsports had remained engaged and connected with the media, NHRA had failed to do so.

Despite what was written, I wasn’t throwing rocks at NHRA, but was merely pointing out a very important shortcoming.

I was asked if I’d made the situation better or worse for having pointed out this shortcoming. My editorial had no impact on that either way. Only NHRA itself can improve the situation – by trying to re-engage with the media and fans.

In responding to the question of whether or not my words had “improved” drag racing or not, see the sentence above. Only NHRA can “improve” things with a better media effort and presence.

As I’ve also previously stated both verbally and in writing, If I wrote something that was incorrect let me know and I’ll try to correct it, but if you just disagree with my opinion, that’s up to you. I didn’t write anything that was incorrect. NHRA has failed to maintain a media presence during the pandemic. NHRA has not been included in the daily virus updates from Sports Business Journal while most other racing organizations have been listed. Chevrolet is putting out regular releases about the virtual racing that’s being hosted by NASCAR and IndyCar. NHRA was not included in the call with others sports organizations and the President. NHRA has furloughed or let go most of the employees in the Media Department. When an organization is absent from the media by its silence it definitely does require more work to re-connect.

So, what was so bad about what I wrote? That I pointed out NHRA’s media failures?

In the world of some of the people posting here, pointing out the errors or mistakes made by the NHRA is pure blasphemy and will not be tolerated.

As I said in my last posting, is anyone here naïve enough to believe that if they write a letter to someone at NHRA, or even call on the phone, that they’re going to get a serious listen or response? One aim of a published editorial is to generate a reaction. In this case that means hoping that NHRA might actually re-start its media efforts.

Keeping silent about the issue wouldn’t have “convinced” NHRA to re-engage. The only thing that would have happened is, uh, nothing, and how does that benefit drag racing?

But those of us who write those editorial do so not to be negative and not to be attacking NHRA. We do it in the hopes that someone in Glendora will perhaps read those words and say to themselves, “Ya know, this guy is right. We do need to…”

Jon Asher

Okay, I’ll respond – again.

Please note that whatever appears here is likely to become moot after NHRA’s release of their altered schedule later this afternoon, something we’re all looking forward to.

Once again the Man-Who-Writes-in-Red asks a question with an obvious answer, which he chooses to ignore, but nevertheless:

What was the point of the editorial? To point out to every fan of NHRA Drag Racing that while every other form of motorsports had remained engaged and connected with the media, NHRA had failed to do so.

Despite what was written, I wasn’t throwing rocks at NHRA, but was merely pointing out a very important shortcoming.

I was asked if I’d made the situation better or worse for having pointed out this shortcoming. My editorial had no impact on that either way. Only NHRA itself can improve the situation – by trying to re-engage with the media and fans.

In responding to the question of whether or not my words had “improved” drag racing or not, see the sentence above. Only NHRA can “improve” things with a better media effort and presence.

As I’ve also previously stated both verbally and in writing, If I wrote something that was incorrect let me know and I’ll try to correct it, but if you just disagree with my opinion, that’s up to you. I didn’t write anything that was incorrect. NHRA has failed to maintain a media presence during the pandemic. NHRA has not been included in the daily virus updates from Sports Business Journal while most other racing organizations have been listed. Chevrolet is putting out regular releases about the virtual racing that’s being hosted by NASCAR and IndyCar. NHRA was not included in the call with others sports organizations and the President. NHRA has furloughed or let go most of the employees in the Media Department. When an organization is absent from the media by its silence it definitely does require more work to re-connect.

So, what was so bad about what I wrote? That I pointed out NHRA’s media failures?

In the world of some of the people posting here, pointing out the errors or mistakes made by the NHRA is pure blasphemy and will not be tolerated.

As I said in my last posting, is anyone here naïve enough to believe that if they write a letter to someone at NHRA, or even call on the phone, that they’re going to get a serious listen or response? One aim of a published editorial is to generate a reaction. In this case that means hoping that NHRA might actually re-start its media efforts.

Keeping silent about the issue wouldn’t have “convinced” NHRA to re-engage. The only thing that would have happened is, uh, nothing, and how does that benefit drag racing?

But those of us who write those editorial do so not to be negative and not to be attacking NHRA. We do it in the hopes that someone in Glendora will perhaps read those words and say to themselves, “Ya know, this guy is right. We do need to…”

Jon Asher

Just curious, do you know how the call with various sports organizations was handled (i.e., were invites sent out to all sports organizations, or just the ones that someone under the President considered "significant")? You seem to imply that either: 1) they were invited to the call, but did not attend, or 2) they knew about the call, were not invited, but should have told the President that they want to attend. Or maybe it is 3) NHRA was not aware of the call because they were considered by someone to not be "significant", and thus they were not on the call? I don't know the answer, but you obviously must since, based on your comment, they SHOULD have been on the call.

Michael, I know nothing about the details of the conference call with Trump. I don't know who set it up, and only know what's been reported about those involved. I have no idea why NHRA was not included, only that they weren't included while the other major motorsports organizations were involved. NHRA should have been included only because we consider the organization to be a major player in American motorsports, but obviously, others do not see drag racing the way we do.

Jon Asher

Darrell,

He asked if what Jon had written was true or untrue. I said in the first line of my last post "I never said that Jon had the facts wrong, or that any of his information was incorrect." And I didn't fact check him. I was asking why he thought it was productive to write it. I don't see how it is helpful either long or short term.

Alan
Yes , you answer only one of the 4 questions. That's ok Asher answered the other 3. The NHRA is just plainly a poorly run company. When most teams are trying there best to keep there people, the NHRA gets rid of it's media ppl ( if reports are true) at a time when they need them the most.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back