Do you agree with Jon Asher's article about NHRA Leadership? (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
Three quotes listed below. Link to article at bottom. Do you think Asher is correct in his assessment?

"The last press release that scrolled across my screen from NHRA was dated April 2 announcing the proposed race dates. Glendora has remained silent for the last 22 days"

"Consider that Chevrolet’s highly competent PR team is churning out results releases and “post-race” interviews on an almost daily basis for virtual NASCAR and IndyCar events. They wouldn’t be doing that if they didn’t see the value in maintaining regular contact with their fans and the media. Meanwhile, Chevrolet has nothing to say about drag racing because drag racing’s leadership isn’t giving them anything to talk about."

"Friday’s release included a status update from 26 different leagues and organizations, including behemoths like NASCAR, MLB, F-1, the NBA, the NCAA and the NFL. Also included are markedly smaller entities like the East Coast Hockey League, the Pro Bull Riders, the already folded XFL and the UFC. Noticeably absent – the National Hot Rod Association.
About a week ago the president held a long conference call with NCAA conference leaders, the management of the NFL, NASCAR and IndyCar and numerous others in the sports world. Noticeably absent – the National Hot Rod Association."

Jon Asher article

Once again, Jon Asher hit the nail on the head with his article.
I wish he posted more here. He has seen the best and worst of the NHRA and pulls no punches in his writing.
I think the last line in the article is the most telling about the group in Glendora; "When you act like a third-rate activity, that’s not only how you’re going to be perceived, it’s how you’re going to be treated. NHRA has earned that distinction."

"Consider that Chevrolet’s highly competent PR team is churning out results releases and “post-race” interviews on an almost daily basis for virtual NASCAR and IndyCar events. They wouldn’t be doing that if they didn’t see the value in maintaining regular contact with their fans and the media. Meanwhile, Chevrolet has nothing to say about drag racing because drag racing’s leadership isn’t giving them anything to talk about."

How do you e-race a Top Fuel or Funny Car?

I saw a little bit of an iRacing off-road race on FS yesterday, Capps took 5th! I couldn't believe how realistic it was. So besides the technology allowing drivers to feel like they're actually in a car, driving it, "the camera" is also moving all over so it gives all the different views of the race that a camera would pick up in a live event. So why couldn't that be done with drag cars? It's all software. if the software was designed so that you needed to input all the tune-up variables the same way you would for real, you would get the same huge range of outcomes, such as tire-smoke, tire-shake, blown motor, dropped cylinder, etc. Pro Stock would be cool too, with the precision required to hit shift points added to the mix. I think it would be pretty popular, and could be a great training tool.

He hit the nail right on the head. NHRA management was OK (laugh, laugh) before the virus. Now with the virus they have no clue what to do.

We will pay ourselves big money and this will go-away----this is how its been since Wally left us-the undeserving as you can see now lead us. Now I remember what those legal papers sent to me meant,.Racing is not the object profit is.,We have no leaders other than profiteers.THat have Wally turning over- I was lucky to raced for the last 60+ yrs and be able to say it all ways wase'nt this way-big business all ways finds out how to rip off the playing and the paying. They manage to get rid of all the good people that work there now all we got are the kiss asses-no longer the racing-good people that started this org. I guess the next time- hopefully I go racing I will be further in the MUD. This what loyalty of 60 plus years gets UU-replies appreciated-MIKE KOSKY-The clowns now finally are paying to perform. Take -Take- charge, charge more, give less.

Last edited:
Mike,

I have all the respect in the world for what you have done, and what you are still doing. But there is no business on the planet that does business today the same way they did in the 70's.

Alan

Last edited:
How long since NHRA did a video game, been since like PS2 days? Talk about missing out on a HUGE market! 😱 F1 was onto iracing almost as soon as they canceled their first event. They had a platform already to go NHRA time to catch up with the real world...

I've been involved in drag racing since 1965 and since then I've seen the sport slowly going downhill and losing it's appeal. When the "new" regime came into power and starting letting go the people who built the sport that was the beginning of the end. The money it costs to run a Nitro car has gotten out of control and I see the whole shebang going away unless the NHRA takes drastic measures right now. I see Nitro racing in it's present form going away real soon unless NHRA can make the changes to take some of the excessive costs out of the genre. The clowns running the show right now don't have a clue how to run a racing organization. Asher is right, NHRA's leadership is making mistakes left & right and not being visible in these times is showing how inept they are. Of course you could drink the Kool-Aid that Alan Reinhart drinks and everything will be fine but I don't think so...

Mike,

I have all the respect in the world for what you have done, and what you are still doing. But there is no business on the planet that does business today the same way they did in the 70's.

Alan
And NHRA certainly doesn't, it's gone downhill. It was operated much better in the 70's when it had people who had experience in the sport. I have been racing since the late 50's and have never seen NHRA go into hiding like they are now doing. The only thing they are concerned about is keeping their overpaid salaries which are paid for by all of us members.

Last edited:
And NHRA certainly doesn't, it's gone downhill. It was operated much better in the 70's when it had people who had experience in the sport. I have been racing since the late 50's and have never seen NHRA go into hiding like they are now doing. The only thing they are concerned about is keeping their overpaid salaries which are paid for by all of us members.

I worked with Hart, Gibbs, Doll, Couch, Daniels, Ham, Partridge, Zimmerman and Shannon. They truly did it for LOVE. :)

I worked with Hart, Gibbs, Doll, Couch, Daniels, Ham, Partridge, Zimmerman and Shannon. They truly did it for LOVE. :)

Man those are some great names! Hart, Gibbs, Couch, Partridge. They were always cool with me. There is still a few good people left, but the NHRA has there hands tided...
And this so called Kool-Aid. I want some!!!😎

The eracing you're watching these past few weeks is all being done using existing gaming software that is based on existing gaming platforms. Think Steam for instance. Don't know what Steam is? Ask your kids or grandkids. They'll know.

The point is that the design, engineering, and production of this software you've been seeing used has long been paid for by subscribers.

That's the problem with creating a "nitro" based egame for drag racing. The last version I had of an NHRA drag racing game was put out over 15 years ago and is completely obsolete. (Actually, it really never worked all that well to begin with.) Do a search for drag racing games, and you'll find they're all based on a street racing theme, with street cars and motorcycles. Nothing exists for nitromethane. So a software engineer would have to sit down and do all of the math required to produce a game, and a modeler would have to create the cars and tracks. All if this takes, yep, you guessed it, time and money. It isn't cheap to do.

That's why saying "There should be eracing for drag racing" is MUCH easier said than done. Someone has to pay for it, but who?

NHRA just announced their latest plan for racing. We just need to stand by and see what happens. Racing 4-5 weeks in a row is extremely hard on even the biggest teams and the logistics are a nitemare. It's success depends on which states allow racing and whether they allow the fans or not.
Best of luck, hope it works.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back