Do you agree with Jon Asher's article about NHRA Leadership? (1 Viewer)

We will pay ourselves big money and this will go-away----this is how its been since Wally left us-the undeserving as you can see now lead us. Now I remember what those legal papers sent to me meant,.Racing is not the object profit is.,We have no leaders other than profiteers.THat have Wally turning over- I was lucky to raced for the last 60+ yrs and be able to say it all ways wase'nt this way-big business all ways finds out how to rip off the playing and the paying. They manage to get rid of all the good people that work there now all we got are the kiss asses-no longer the racing-good people that started this org. I guess the next time- hopefully I go racing I will be further in the MUD. This what loyalty of 60 plus years gets UU-replies appreciated-MIKE KOSKY-The clowns now finally are paying to perform. Take -Take- charge, charge more, give less.
Mike. Im not quite sure what you’re talking about with the first line of your post. Please translate. And I think I might know what those’ ‘ ‘’legal papers ‘ are but maybe you can enlighten us?? I get the message in your words and know you as a great drag racer. But if nhra was so bad why’d you stick around so long?? I’m not a racer. Im a loooong time fan. I think nhra does a very good job of putting on great drag races. Especially when you consider the decline in fan base over the last 10 yrs. and some might say nhra is to blame for that. But nhra has provided the frame work for mike kosky and hundreds of other dedicated racers to race in safety in front of tens of thousands of fans each weekend. I give them credit. Yeah, its a business. Yeah, the top echelon might have their eye on the bottom line. And yeah, maybe They should appoint Snake as chairman of the board. Nobody would say Steve Gibbs didn’t love the sport. And of course they got Alan . And maybe we all have too much time to complain these days. Asher is a professional complainer. But his arguments are most times poorly supported with any good alternatives.

Your argument falls apart at the get go because NHRA is not in the same league as NASCAR, Indycar, MLB, et al. You're carrying Jon Asher's water because even he knows this to be true and the article was created to be "edgy" or "critical" but falls flat. This is the same outlet whose editor came out to say how he contracted COVID-19, how bad it is and that it's real, but then failed to ask Bill Bader Jr. why he thought it was a vast conspiracy. I don't understand why it's OK to call out Peter Clifford but not Bill Bader - people play favorites and it is what it is.

NHRA doesn't have the luxury of having a product that translates to TV like MLB, NASCAR, etc, and their revenue stream is fundamentally different. MLB can play to empty stadiums with only the players and essential personnel on the field. NASCAR can run a race with the "big show" cars and crew in an empty speedway. Both can have telecasts and actually make money on the broadcast. NHRA, on the other hand, depends on entry fees and gate concessions and (from what I understand) actually loses money on the TV broadcast. In other words, unlike the other sports, NHRA requires thousands of people because the sportsman classes are an important cog in NHRA's financial machine..

NHRA is being prudent and will run races 1.) when the states allow and 2.) when it makes sense financially to do so.

At the end of the day this is a whole lot of whining about absolutely nothing.
Well said

Mike. Im not quite sure what you’re talking about with the first line of your post. Please translate. And I think I might know what those’ ‘ ‘’legal papers ‘ are but maybe you can enlighten us?? I get the message in your words and know you as a great drag racer. But if nhra was so bad why’d you stick around so long?? I’m not a racer. Im a loooong time fan. I think nhra does a very good job of putting on great drag races. Especially when you consider the decline in fan base over the last 10 yrs. and some might say nhra is to blame for that. But nhra has provided the frame work for mike kosky and hundreds of other dedicated racers to race in safety in front of tens of thousands of fans each weekend. I give them credit. Yeah, its a business. Yeah, the top echelon might have their eye on the bottom line. And yeah, maybe They should appoint Snake as chairman of the board. Nobody would say Steve Gibbs didn’t love the sport. And of course they got Alan . And maybe we all have too much time to complain these days. Asher is a professional complainer. But his arguments are most times poorly supported with any good alternatives.
Are the board taking pay cuts while not working?put our heads in the sand and we will be back racing soon.If you think you Know what the papers where then you might know. I never said NHRA was bad I said its bad how it's being run now.Never said this is not the greatest show and all ways was.And as you point out AIan is big part of the show along with the rest of the working staff'.I believe its a big business and it needs to bring in more sponsorship yes its not 1970 as Alan said. But all corperations that are for profit if you don't bring in new money you go broke a slow death.And yes NHRA has been good for me but as they say one hand washes the other.For something to ponder my first national win brought me17000.00$ my last 30yrs. later total appx.7500.oo$ Our qualifyng money has been the same sinsce25 yrs ago how much has board given there selves over that same time ?We still after fourty plus years of racing at the prestigious US nationals park in swamps we moved from gravel to there.- That should be enough rant for now.And to reiterate I never said once that NHRA racing did not treat me good-Mike

Are the board taking pay cuts while not working?put our heads in the sand and we will be back racing soon.If you think you Know what the papers where then you might know. I never said NHRA was bad I said its bad how it's being run now.Never said this is not the greatest show and all ways was.And as you point out AIan is big part of the show along with the rest of the working staff'.I believe its a big business and it needs to bring in more sponsorship yes its not 1970 as Alan said. But all corperations that are for profit if you don't bring in new money you go broke a slow death.And yes NHRA has been good for me but as they say one hand washes the other.For something to ponder my first national win brought me17000.00$ my last 30yrs. later total appx.7500.oo$ Our qualifyng money has been the same sinsce25 yrs ago how much has board given there selves over that same time ?We still after fourty plus years of racing at the prestigious US nationals park in swamps we moved from gravel to there.- That should be enough rant for now.And to reiterate I never said once that NHRA racing did not treat me good-Mike
Ok mike. I hear you

Despite recognizing that whatever I write in this space is going to be misinterpreted I will nevertheless attempt to set a few things straight.

First, I've been attending drag races since 1959 and began my photojournalism career in 1966. Yes, I've driven a few cars over the years but would never claim to have been a successful and accomplished racer. I could get the cars from here to there without hitting anything, but the majority of Nitromater members are/were probably far better behind the wheel than I ever was.

I have never claimed to have mechanical expertise and therefore spent most of my time with the Jade Grenade asking my late partners, Bill Flurer and Sarge Arciero, a lot of questions. When I made an error mixing fuel one time about 18 months went by before they let me do it again without checking. How embarrassing...

Despite some claims made in this thread, I have never given a damn about clicks or anything like that. I have never written anything with the aim of stirring the proverbial pot. My intent has ALWAYS been to try and improve drag racing. If that has meant sometimes pointing out the flaws in the way NHRA has or hasn't done things, then so be it. When you're the most important organization in the sport it's a given that you're going to receive criticism from every quarter. That's simply how things work. Expecting a reporter to only write positive news isn't being realistic, yet there are many drag racing fans who believe that's what we should be doing.. That is neither the job or responsibility of those who contribute to the various online sites and magazines that cover drag racing. That is the job of National Dragster and nhra.com. They are the public relations/propaganda arms of the NHRA and please try not to lash out at the use of the word "propaganda" because it's not meant in some insidious way.

Over the years the NHRA has done some remarkable things, and I have often pointed out those positives. But, it would appear that at least some people would prefer that the flaws never be pointed out Again, that is not how the real world works. In years gone by many writers did avoid pointing out the errors, just as in decades gone by the press never reported on the fact that Babe Ruth was a hard-drinking womanizer, or that John F. Kennedy may have been having affairs with Hollywood stars right in the White House. Now we all know better.

There have been instances when NHRA executives have said things to me like, "Why did you write that? Nobody needs to know that." Why don't they need to know? Shouldn't they know what's really going on in the activity they've devoted their lives to? Shouldn't they know that one reason they aren't racing for a million dollar championship is because of (pick the one you like -- and I am not suggesting that any of the following scenarios are real), executive salaries are too high, there's no one capable of "selling" that kind of program to a sponsor or the TV ratings are so low that no sponsor can justify spending that much money for so few eyeballs?

Years ago the largest newspaper in Oklahoma City uncovered a significant amount of illegal activity going on in the University of Oklahoma football program. Everything from grade-purchasing to the actual distribution of illegal substances by some players was involved, and there were strong suspicions that the coaches were aware of the situation. Before the story broke there were serious discussions with upper management about the potential fallout. People would physically attack the newspaper offices, some predicted. Readers would cancel their subscriptions if their sacred cow was exposed, and advertisers would cancel.

The newspaper took the journalistic approach, and the stories ran. Advertisers did cancel and so did subscribers, although there were no attacks. After the initial outraged responses the advertisers returned and so did the subscribers because it turned out Sooners fans did care about learning the truth about their beloved University.

The editorial that started all of this took NHRA to task for their failure to remain relevant during the COVID-19 situation, as has virtually every other motorsports organization in North America. That's a fact, not an opinion. It wasn't my opinion that NHRA had failed to remain in contact with the media. It wasn't my opinion that NHRA was the only so-called "major sport" not included in the Sports Business Journal daily reports on how sports in general is dealing with COVID-19, it wasn't my opinion that NHRA hadn't put out a single press release in three weeks. Those are facts. They may be inconvenient or even painful to swallow, but they're nevertheless facts.

If you're of the belief that there should only be good-news reporting about drag racing then your "news" source of choice absolutely must be Dragster and nhra.com. But, if you're looking for in-depth reporting on both the good and bad in our chosen endeavor you should be turning to CompetitionPlus.com, Dragzine.com, DragIllustrated.com, Draglist.com, DragRacingEdge.com and a whole host of others. If you like reading on paper there's Drag Racing Edge, Drag Illustrated and others. It's your choice.

But don't lash out at the messenger. If you're unhappy with what's being reported, first find out if the stories are true. If they are, start questioning the subjects of those stories. If there's been an error and inaccurate reporting has resulted, then reach out to the journalist or his or her publication and ask for a clarification. None of us is error-free, but each and every one of us tries to not only report fairly and accurately, we approach our editorial writing in the same way. We try to be fair, but if you're simply unable to deal with harsh truths maybe you'll be better off hiding in your kid's closet, playing with his cars and trucks.

Last one: Thank you so much for elevating the Grenade to the Number 1 qualifying spot at Indy in 1973, but the harsh truth is that we were a DNQ! However, we did set Low E.T. of the Meet in 1974 (6.017) when we qualified ninth and lost in the second round.

Jon Asher

Jon, with all due respect, unless I'm missing it nobody is saying "only report good news". People who want only fluffy drag racing news can pick up National Dragster.

Speaking for myself, what people are saying is stop being unrealistic. NHRA is not (and probably never will be) MLB or NASCAR. And that's OK.

I'd rather the NHRA come out of this a month later than MLB, NASCAR and whoever with money in the war chest, rather than some half baked Bill Bader Jr. scheme which would be a money loser.

Last one: Thank you so much for elevating the Grenade to the Number 1 qualifying spot at Indy in 1973, but the harsh truth is that we were a DNQ! However, we did set Low E.T. of the Meet in 1974 (6.017) when we qualified ninth and lost in the second round.
Jon Asher

Yes, Jon, after I posted that I realized my memory was fuzzy and I subsequently deleted the post. It was the 6.01 run in '74 that I was thinking of and could not place it chronologically. (I remember now that Jim Bucher was the #1 qualifier in '73, the best TF race I have ever seen). That 6.01 run in '74 is still in my vision memory as I was standing along the fence near the starting line and remember the car chaterring the tires ever so slightly for the first 200 feet or so, then hooking very cleany and marching for the top end. That was a pretty car.

Let me state a few views on Mr. Ashers views of today and back when. From the time Mr. Asher started a magazine in the Midwest called, All American Drags, his negativity has been consistent concerning the NHRA. He claims to a degree that the NHRA has dropped the publicity ball.

He claims that the NHRA has not put out releases like Indy Car or Nascar with a frequency he deems appropriate. Let me delve further into this slight with a little perspective from one who is employed and actively involved in the operation of a successfull racetrack. My other world is the realm of short track oval racing, primarily on dirt.

There are not endless fluff releases from the World of Outlaw Sprints and Late Models. The Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model Series. The World Racing Group's DIRT Big & Small Block Modifieds. All Star Circuit of Champions Sprints, (owned and run by Tony Stewart)USAC Sprint, Silver Crown, and Midgets, ISMS Supermodifieds, IMCA, USMTS, and dozens of others. Does that make them sub-par Jon?

Mr. Asher has always taken to task the NHRA for over 40 years and the same line he tows has grown quite old, has for many a moon. The tone of most of his belly-ache fests have little to no solutions, just attacks.

This is not against him on a personal note, just opinions expressed. I have had the chance thru these near 60 years of this stuff to talk to Jon and I will leave the personality aspects out of this.

I have seen what the NHRA was back in the early 60's and where we have progressed until now. Over all it has climbed the ladder and done well, perfect? Who or what is? Room for improvement, sure. While series such as Nascar, has seen attendance drops, our gang racing on the strip is doing pretty dang good. The timing of the shows, length of Sunday's shows have come a long ways.

I would love in a fantasy world to see Mr. Asher run the show and see how awesome he could be. I find whenever I read anything from Mr. Asher it would be a eye-roller with the thoughts, here we go again, another gripe fest on how bad the NHRA is. Too bad he could just shoot good pictures like Jim Kelly, Richard Brady,Bob McClurg, Jere Alhadeff, Tim Marshall, Steve Reyes and Larry Maxwell to name a few instead of being always negative about the NHRA.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Let me state a few views on Mr. Ashers views of today and back when. From the time Mr. Asher started a magazine in the Midwest called, All American Drags, his negativity has been consistent concerning the NHRA. He claims to a degree that the NHRA has dropped the publicity ball.

He claims that the NHRA has not put out releases like Indy Car or Nascar with a frequency he deems appropriate. Let me delve further into this slight with a little perspective from one who is employed and actively involved in the operation of a successfull racetrack. My other world is the realm of short track oval racing, primarily on dirt.

There are not endless fluff releases from the World of Outlaw Sprints and Late Models. The Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model Series. The World Racing Group's DIRT Big & Small Block Modifieds. All Star Circuit of Champions Sprints, (owned and run by Tony Stewart)USAC Sprint, Silver Crown, and Midgets, ISMS Supermodifieds, IMCA, USMTS, and dozens of others. Does that make them sub-par Jon?

Mr. Asher has always taken to task the NHRA for over 40 years and the same line he tows has grown quite old, has for many a moon. The tone of most of his belly-ache fests have little to no solutions, just attacks.

This is not against him on a personal note, just opinions expressed. I have had the chance thru these near 60 years of this stuff to talk to Jon and I will leave the personality aspects out of this.

I have seen what the NHRA was back in the early 60's and where we have progressed until now. Over all it has climbed the ladder and done well, perfect? Who or what is? Room for improvement, sure. While series such as Nascar, has seen attendance drops, our gang racing on the strip is doing pretty dang good. The timing of the shows, length of Sunday's shows have come a long ways.

I would love in a fantasy world to see Mr. Asher run the show and see how awesome he could be. I find whenever I read anything from Mr. Asher it would be a eye-roller with the thoughts, here we go again, another gripe fest on how bad the NHRA is. Too bad he could just shoot good pictures like Jim Kelly, Richard Brady,Bob McClurg, Jere Alhadeff, Tim Marshall, Steve Reyes and Larry Maxwell to name a few instead of being always negative about the NHRA.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Boo bleeping hoo. :D

There’s been a lot of pointing out things people don’t like about Jon’s article. But, it doesn’t appear there has been anything or anyone showing inaccuracies in what he wrote.
There’s no disputing that people who actually raced a car no longer manage NHRA.
Isn’t it possible that his article was meant to wake up those in Glendora in order to get NHRA drag racing into normal conversations when people talk about motor sports in general?
My first take from the column was that it was written by someone who cares deeply about the sport and wants it to survive, and even thrive.
Sometimes, the truth hurts. You can either get mad about the truth, and be satisfied with the status quo. And things will never change.
Or, you can agree changes need to occur and work to effect those changes.
Personally, I think, without the personal attacks, this is a great thread. And it makes me miss seeing our great sport in action.
I’ve been following and attending drag races since 1966.
To this day, I’m still baffled by the “red-headed stepchild” treatment of the NHRA by most of the so-called mainstream media.
For the longest time, the only way I’d see something about drag racing was if somebody got hurt or killed. Nobody talked about the incredible sights and sounds, and fan accessibility, at a drag race.
I’m so ready to hear Lee Greenwood’s “Proud to be an American” followed by the sights and sounds of a pair of top fuelers firing up.

After rereading the thread and paying particular attention to Jon's post I have three questions. And I would really like an answer. I could call or text Jon just as he could me. But, this played in in this forum and I would like it to be posted here.

Jon,
1: What was the objective of the original story? To help? To hurt? Or just to throw a turd in the punch bowl?

2: Did you leave the situation better or worse then you found it?

3: You stated, these are YOUR WORDS. "
My intent has ALWAYS been to try and improve drag racing." Did you do that here?

Alan

Last edited:
When it comes to business there are times when you need someone to point out what you could be doing better. It’s easy to get lazy or fall into a routine with blinders on. You may not like the messenger or the message. Criticism has helped me become better than any compliments thrown my way.

When it comes to business there are times when you need someone to point out what you could be doing better. It’s easy to get lazy or fall into a routine with blinders on. You may not like the messenger or the message. Criticism has helped me become better than any compliments thrown my way.
This is absolutely true. I don't think anybody denies that all organizations need someone to keep them honest and tell the hard truths. However, for criticism to be constructive, it has to come from someone whose word you take seriously. You don't have to like them, but you do have to respect their opinion. When there's a lengthy history of nothing but negativity toward your organization, often excessive or unfounded, that respect goes away and words will fall on deaf ears, even if there are occasionally valid points.

After rereading the thread and paying particular attention to Jon's post I have three questions. And I would really like an answer. I could call or text Jon just as he could me. But, this played in in this forum and I would like it to be posted here.

Jon,
1: What was the objective of the original story? To help? To hurt? Or just to throw a turd in the punch bowl?

2: Did you leave the situation better or worse then you found it?

3: You stated, these are YOUR WORDS. "
My intent has ALWAYS been to try and improve drag racing." Did you do that here?

Alan

By drinking & dispensing the Kool Aid, do you? :D

I have found over the years that responding to individual comments on ‘Mater can be detrimental to one’s very sanity. Nevertheless, I will try to add some perspective in the hopes that those reading it will understand.

As Ted Kuburich generously points out, I didn’t write anything that wasn’t true. I have had the same response for NHRA executives who have complained about my editorials over the years: Did I write something that wasn’t true? If you can point out my factual error I will do my very best to get things corrected via additions to the original column, or a completely new one. But, on the other hand, if you simply don’t like what I have to say, that’s your problem, not mine.

I was not the founder of All-American Drags Magazine, Mark Hendon, but was merely its editor for a short time. Yes, by its very silence NHRA has dropped the publicity ball, and no I don’t care what any other racing organization does or doesn’t do. This is about NHRA Drag Racing, not the numerous circuits you’ve listed.

Over the years far better editorial writers than I have made literally dozens of suggestions about how to improve various aspects of NHRA Drag Racing. To my knowledge not a single one of them has ever been adopted.

What NHRA did or did not do 10, 20 or even 60 years ago is an irrelevancy. The only things that count are today and tomorrow. The other things are just stories for the history books.

Responding to the comments in red ink as its writer strives to be noticed, there are actually four questions listed under Number 1. Only the first one is relevant. The objective was to call to everyone’s attention how the leadership of our chosen endeavor has further diminished its position with the general public by remaining completely silent during a period when every other major motorsports organization in North America was aggressively courting the media and their fans with stories, reports of their progress and more. While they were scoring points NHRA was being ignored because of its silence.

Do you not understand the concept of Out of sight, Out of mind?

My job is to bring what I consider to be important topics to the public’s attention (Number 2). I made suggestions about how to make things better, but it’s up to others to implement those suggestions. And as I pointed out above, to my knowledge NHRA has never adopted a single suggestion that’s come from the media.

Well, Alan, if NHRA hadn’t furloughed or let go the bulk of their entire media manpower pool maybe there’d be someone left at 2035 Financial Way who could be putting out the press releases that NHRA Drag Racing so desperately needs to remain relevant with the general public. That would result in the improvement in drag racing you reference (Number 3).

I think there’s something else here, something that looms over not only this conversation, but over drag racing itself. We need to come to grips with the fact that we really are a small-time activity with a very limited number of participants and followers. We would like to think of ourselves as major league players in a major league activity, but we really aren’t. NHRA used to promote the fact that we sold two millions tickets a year to the national events. The organization, when pressed, would admit that 500,000 of those ticket buyers attended multiple events, so let’s just say that we sell 1.5 million a year. There are over 325 million people in America. See how small we really are?

Look at our TV ratings, which remain abysmally low. Is that because the shows aren’t good enough, or is it because the audience itself just isn’t that big?

Are the ratings low because of the changing viewing habits of young Americans, or is it something else?

Are the ratings low because NHRA continues to put out a two or three-hour show when television executives themselves readily admit that the attention span of the average viewer is proven to be shrinking, or is it something else?

Is cord-cutting a factor, or is it something else?

Let’s cut to the chase: Didn’t anyone here watch the terrific profile that HBO’s Real Sports did on John Force? If you watched, did you miss the key exchange between host Bryant Gumbel and reporter John Frankel? At the end of the segment Gumbel asks Frankel, “Before you did this story had you ever heard of John Force?”

“No. Never,” he replies.

“Me neither,”” says Gumbel. “Okay, let’s move on.”

So, we’re so damn naïve that we believe everyone knows who Force is, yet here are two reporters dedicated to sports reporting, and they’d never even heard of him. As John said to me, “They didn’t even know who I was.”

That ought to tell you just a little bit about who and what we are, so don’t attack me for trying to point out the mistakes NHRA makes. When you see them doing something wrong, or missing the boat on something why not tell them? Oh! You’ve learned over the years that nobody will respond to your complaints and comments?

Join the crowd…

Jon Asher

Jon,

You can obviously correctly count question marks, I assumed that you would understand a multiple choice question.

I'm sure that you will continue to "Try and improve drag racing" as I will continue to be proud of the organization that I work for. Even if they're not perfect.

I do have one request. Whatever business venture I may get involved with in the future, would you please NOT try to help me? I would prefer to see if I can succeed without your assistance.

Alan

Last edited:
Jon,

You can obviously correctly count question marks, I assumed that you would understand a multiple choice question.

I'm sure that you will continue to "Try and improve drag racing" as I will continue to be proud up for the organization that I work for. Even if they're not perfect.

I do have one request. Whatever business venture I may get involved with in the future, would you please NOT try to help me? I would prefer to see if I can succeed without your assistance.

Alan

Wow, so disrespectful. :(

Jon I should have said involved with the magazine. While you dismiss other sanctioning bodies efforts or lack there of you do throw out Nascar and Indy car, if your thoughts are only on the strip, leave Nascar and Indy car out.

Was there pressure from outside sources other than the NHRA execs to shorten the race track after Scott?

I would just for the heckuva it like to hear what you think is good about out sport. Where are your overall solutions to the on track product?

I have no beef with you as a person, only the constant, consistent griping I have read out of you for all these years.

With all respect.
TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Jon, you mention the University of Oklahoma football scandal. I'll bet that newspaper had published plenty of stories praising the football team before the scandal was uncovered.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back