NHRA Called On The Carpet (1 Viewer)

This is what money has done to our "sport". It used to be about racing and hot rods, now every time two teammates race each other, regardless of class, the fans are left wondering about team orders. The NHRA used to be about promoting safety with fast cars and presenting a better public image, now it's about who's got the most bribe money. I'm sick of it all wonder what happened to honest competition. At what point did all the corruption creep into drag racing? Now that my son's old enough to appreciate drag racing, we go to the local track often during the summer, but only stay for time trials because I despise bracket racing. I was going to take him to Sears Point this summer to see the pros run, but now wonder why I should bother. If I'm sick of all the politics and dishonesty, why support the people who made it a "business" rather than a sport. An underhanded, dishonest business at that...

NHRA needs a change of command. But unfortunately the racers Pro and Sportsman and sponsors don;t have the b//ls to stand up to them, and until they do something nothing is going to change.

Last edited:
Money truly is the ROOT of all evil and a couple of posters on this thread have hit it on the head. Unfortunately Mr. Parks dream of a haven for hot rodders died along with 10 cent cokes, 30 cents per gallon gas, and guys like the Ridge Route Terrors fielding a top flite fuel car that shared space in the garage with the washer and dryer. As stated earlier, the product has become too boring and predictible---and several other forms of motorsports are suffering the same fate. Although NHRA's intentions on some of the aforementioned sponsor drama may have been rooted in greed, I would say now it is more rooted in survival. Sometimes we forget that they pay the same price for diesel fuel that the racers do. And like the racers, their costs have also spiraled out of control. And speaking of the racers, I dont have to remind anybody on here that those great sponsor deals are not lying around. Add to the fact the national economy is in the toilet and the average guy does not have several hundred bucks to travel to a national event with his family. As far as I am concerned, NHRA drag racing lost its luster for me sometime in the late 80's. When many professional drag racing teams were still transported in a dually truck with a Chaparral trailer.

Money truly is the ROOT of all evil and a couple of posters on this thread have hit it on the head.

This is the second time in this thread that this phrase has been mis quoted. It comes from 1 Timothy 6:10 in the Bible and the correct quote is The LOVE of money is the root of all evil.....

That totally changes the meaning.

I was going to take him to Sears Point this summer to see the pros run, but now wonder why I should bother.

Because he probably could care less about the inner workings of NHRA at this point in his life. Take him. It'll be an experience he'll never forget. You'll have a different outlook on bracket racing, too, if your son ever competes in one and starts winning rounds. ;)

This is what money has done to our "sport". It used to be about racing and hot rods, now every time two teammates race each other, regardless of class, the fans are left wondering about team orders. The NHRA used to be about promoting safety with fast cars and presenting a better public image, now it's about who's got the most bribe money. I'm sick of it all wonder what happened to honest competition. At what point did all the corruption creep into drag racing? Now that my son's old enough to appreciate drag racing, we go to the local track often during the summer, but only stay for time trials because I despise bracket racing. I was going to take him to Sears Point this summer to see the pros run, but now wonder why I should bother. If I'm sick of all the politics and dishonesty, why support the people who made it a "business" rather than a sport. An underhanded, dishonest business at that...

About the same time they dumped Modified Eliminator

NHRA needs a change of command. But unfortunately the racers Pro and Sportsman and sponsors don;t have the b//ls to stand up to them, and until they do nothing is going to change.

There is no longer any competition to the NHRA in Pro racing. No alternative. Nothing to balance out the unbridled monetizing of the sport. Enjoy the ride.

Vegas Fuel is far from smoke and mirrors. It is owned by ex pro stock racer Max Naylor. It has nationwide distribution in Rite Aid stores and is growing all the time.
They sponsor many cars and track programs in the area near the companies home base in PA.

Vegas Fuel is far from smoke and mirrors. It is owned by ex pro stock racer Max Naylor. It has nationwide distribution in Rite Aid stores and is growing all the time.
They sponsor many cars and track programs in the area near the companies home base in PA.

Max was a first class act, too bad he hung it up!

Because he probably could care less about the inner workings of NHRA at this point in his life. Take him. It'll be an experience he'll never forget. You'll have a different outlook on bracket racing, too, if your son ever competes in one and starts winning rounds. ;)

I go there every year along with Pomona, Sears Point is a very enjoyable layout, good weather, nice facility.

Did anyone stop to think maybe some of NHRA’s moves are purely for survival? The last few years I think certain moves in any business have been labeled greed when in fact in was a key to staying in business and keep folks employed. People always see the money comming in, but dont look at the cost it takes to keep the monster going. I am sure all of the other racing associations that have come and gone in the past 60 years wish they would have been a little more “greedy” in certain areas and still be around to showcase their product.

I agree the poor economy has had a big affect on most businesses. There is a distinction, however, between making good business decisions with honesty and integrity and making back-room deals that smack of impropriety. I think Asher is referring to the latter.

I get what you are saying about surviving--I've made many changes in my business that would have been unfathomable 5 or 6 years ago. But surviving these times doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your morals.

Considering the fact that (as far as I know) with the exception of Graham Light, none of the NHRA Board members or ruling suits (mostly the same people) had never been to a drag race before being hired by NHRA, it shouldn't be too surprising that they've gotten everything in such a mess. I'm firmly convinced they are all just holding on to their huge salaries, for doing nothing, until they can retire. Not every normal business practice translates to running a racing body. Some things might have to be tweeked a bit to work for racing. The current suits obviously don't understand that and don't seem to care.

Anymore, the best part of national event racing is the people. The rest is a joke!

Now that my son's old enough to appreciate drag racing, we go to the local track often during the summer, but only stay for time trials because I despise bracket racing. I was going to take him to Sears Point this summer to see the pros run, but now wonder why I should bother. If I'm sick of all the politics and dishonesty, why support the people who made it a "business" rather than a sport. An underhanded, dishonest business at that...

Jim, take him to Eagle Field and show him how racers can have fun without have a gazillion dollar operation. We're working on a '34 Ford with an old Olds in it just for these events. We're also thinking of building our own minibike to race there too.

If you want to show him some nitro racing, there's the March Meet or Nitro Nights at Famoso. Heck I'll even sneak him down to the starting line if you want.

Probably the most FUN place I ever raced at. Never had I felt more welcome showing up at a track.

Try being there when there is a big safety issue. Very instructive.
Max did not just Hang It Up. Jagermeister lost interest in sponsoring a pro stock car. Max was far too smart to race out of his own pocket.
Max is the sponsor for a Friday night series at Beaver Springs.

Jim, take him to Eagle Field and show him how racers can have fun without have a gazillion dollar operation. We're working on a '34 Ford with an old Olds in it just for these events. We're also thinking of building our own minibike to race there too.

If you want to show him some nitro racing, there's the March Meet or Nitro Nights at Famoso. Heck I'll even sneak him down to the starting line if you want.
You know, you may have something there! I have always wanted to see the March Meet myself, and although it's quite a bit farther to drive, at least it would be (IMHO) more of a fun atmosphere for both of us. BTW, your '34 sounds neat, I'd love to see some pics of it. Also, thanks for the offer, but beware, I just may take you up on it!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back