NHRA Called On The Carpet (1 Viewer)

He's spot on regarding the PS/M fiasco...but it's the same thing everyone NOT associated with NHRA, Harley, or V & H have been saying all season....:cool:

As has been said, a lot, over the last 40 plus years...
Bit..chin' Ash !!!!

d'kid
(in the top end stands, top row, @ The County Jan.1970)

I'm not understanding the part about the "all important home visit" regarding military recruiting. When I enlisted, nobody came to my house. Plus, I've seen them do mass swear-ins at many different places. Why not have the necessary parties at the track and make it official right there?

I'm not understanding the part about the "all important home visit" regarding military recruiting. When I enlisted, nobody came to my house. Plus, I've seen them do mass swear-ins at many different places. Why not have the necessary parties at the track and make it official right there?

Might be figuratively speaking.....knowing an address gets you a visit by a beautiful full-color catalog of life in the service, probably reads much like a graphic novel, with the hero (after a world tour) enjoying a party on the beach with adoring babes/hunks everywhere while h/she leans against the latest detroit performance car. The gist is that a name or a cell phone number is not worth money, but attach those to an address, and voila!

I'm not really up on the cost of operating a Pro Stock motorcycle team but I imaging after traveling expenses and parts breakage if they don't win the wally they're losing money. It looks like the way to solve this problem is don't show up that way they just have one round to run with Krawiec and Hines. Make sense, why through away money when odds are that great against you.

Military recruiting in the 21st Century is far different from what it was even 20 years ago. All of the services have had a more difficult time in convincing people to join than they once did, and with the elimination of the universal draft, recruiting has become even more important and, considering the inter-services rivalries, more cutthroat.

If a young, impressionable young person signs on the dotted line at the track it's possible that his parents can get his enlistment over-turned. Since this has happened any number of times, the military has learned that it's critically important to get the entire family in support of the enlistment, and that requires a home visit. That's why the name-gathering is the critical ingredient. With no names and addresses, there's no follow-up, and therefore, no enlistee.

The military is also restricted in terms of what they can "show" a potential enlistee during a school visit. The rules require they arrive at the school in a regular sedan, not a military vehicle of any kind, because some young people are so stoked at the sight of a Humvee that they're liable to sign up on the spot.

There are NO such restrictions during the YES events, hence making the sponsorship of that program a huge home run for the Army, but ONLY the Army. NHRA's willingness to provide the exclusivity of name-gathering has become a de facto exclusivity of team sponsorship as well. No other branch of the military is interested in being involved because without the ability to gather names they have no chance of recruiting successes.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Jon pretty well sums it up for me:

"The money was more important than their reputation in the world of motorsports"

great article,, money is the root of all evil:eek: sometimes u just need 2 whoop a man's ass,:D and NHRA needs one:p

Alan Reinhart please come up to the mic.

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask someone (ANYONE) actually sitting on the Board of Directors to step up to the mic?

Amazing how the directors of this sport have decided not to speak to its fan base-

(not the general butt-in-the-seat fan, but its actual foundation fan base found here)

-to even come on here and give us even the SMALLEST bit of information denying that there has been any kind of shenanigans...

Hell- who's gonna see it, NHRA?
Maybe a few hundred regular ticket buyers? What do you have to lose? Come tell us why this whole thing is "OK" in your eyes...

Jon pretty well sums it up for me:

"The money was more important than their reputation in the world of motorsports"

It should come as no surprise that greed has overtaken the concern for the betterment of the sport. After all, Glendora's arrogance and incompetence is rivaled only by the federal government. As far as the PS/M H-D mess goes, whenever I hear NHRA say they are “working on a long-term solution” I know it really means they are ignoring the problem and hoping everyone will get over it. Kind of like the "slowing the fuel cars to get back to 1320" lie.

Did anyone stop to think maybe some of NHRA’s moves are purely for survival? The last few years I think certain moves in any business have been labeled greed when in fact in was a key to staying in business and keep folks employed. People always see the money comming in, but dont look at the cost it takes to keep the monster going. I am sure all of the other racing associations that have come and gone in the past 60 years wish they would have been a little more “greedy” in certain areas and still be around to showcase their product.
My major complaint with the NHRA is that is has become boring. This is the first time in over 30 years that I have not attended a national event. Sure the sights and sounds are still awesome, but it is way too predictable. OK, a Schumacher car is going to win TF, throw in a win for Lucas and AJ just for fun every now and then. FC, Force or Shoe. PS, a little excitement with the performance out of the other AJ, Cagnazzi and V Gains, but still the Summit Boys set the standard. PSM, we all know that story. At least all of the PS guys start out with the same head casting and do their magic from there.
Call me an old timer, but I really got into when a low buck part timer could mix it up. Racing always has been expensive, but when the needed investment in technology beats out hard work and mechanical smarts every time, it is a no win battle. So while I am a little put off with the current on track product, I have to side with the NHRA on some of these moves (except the HD deal, that is ridiculous!). You don’t last this long without making moves that might viewed as only money motivated, but guess what, money keeps this deal going. While I might not have attended a race this year, I never miss the TV shows, so thank you NHRA for being able to pickup the tab for ESPN2.

Did anyone stop to think maybe some of NHRA’s moves are purely for survival? The last few years I think certain moves in any business have been labeled greed when in fact in was a key to staying in business and keep folks employed. People always see the money comming in, but dont look at the cost it takes to keep the monster going. I am sure all of the other racing associations that have come and gone in the past 60 years wish they would have been a little more “greedy” in certain areas and still be around to showcase their product.
My major complaint with the NHRA is that is has become boring. This is the first time in over 30 years that I have not attended a national event. Sure the sights and sounds are still awesome, but it is way too predictable. OK, a Schumacher car is going to win TF, throw in a win for Lucas and AJ just for fun every now and then. FC, Force or Shoe. PS, a little excitement with the performance out of the other AJ, Cagnazzi and V Gains, but still the Summit Boys set the standard. PSM, we all know that story. At least all of the PS guys start out with the same head casting and do their magic from there.
Call me an old timer, but I really got into when a low buck part timer could mix it up. Racing always has been expensive, but when the needed investment in technology beats out hard work and mechanical smarts every time, it is a no win battle. So while I am a little put off with the current on track product, I have to side with the NHRA on some of these moves (except the HD deal, that is ridiculous!). You don’t last this long without making moves that might viewed as only money motivated, but guess what, money keeps this deal going. While I might not have attended a race this year, I never miss the TV shows, so thank you NHRA for being able to pickup the tab for ESPN2.

Richard, you really think NHRA restricting who can sponsor NHRA or Racers is based out of survival?

Alan Reinhart please come up to the mic.

Not really fair, he works for them, can't expect him to shoot himself in the foot.

I know I couldn't go on an industry website for my company and rip on them, most of us couldn't

Their dealings have chased off the sponsors Asher mentions, they would have made up for any money NHRA had gotten.

Remember all of the energy drinks that were starting to show up? Yup they got chased out. UPS bought their way in, fedex wanted in but couldn't. The list goes on

Their dealings have chased off the sponsors Asher mentions, they would have made up for any money NHRA had gotten.

Remember all of the energy drinks that were starting to show up? Yup they got chased out. UPS bought their way in, fedex wanted in but couldn't. The list goes on

VisViva and Vegasfuel were smoke and mirrors.
Rockstar and Monster were getting no ROI ... they wanted out not long after they got in. Look at other venues where Rockstar and Monster have a presense, and then tell me that Jerry Toliver and Kenny Bernstein (or Tommy Johnson Jr) resonate with that target demo.

I never heard about the FedEx deal (doesn't mean it didn't happen).

When anyone in the NHRA(non-profit) makes more than the teams that put on the show, its called greed!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back