Improving NHRA Safety... (1 Viewer)

I stand corrected in that case. It was my understanding the win light came on for Worsham (at the 1320 timers) which I took to mean he got there first. Doesn't compute; sorry.

The reflector blocks were not in the right place. So when the first car tripped the beam at 1320, it set the time for both drivers, not just the first driver to get there.

Jim

As a former Nationaly Registered Paramedic for DCFD and part of the executive protection detail for 3 Past United States Presidents And a S/C Driver. Where we need to look at safety is the small tracks that run large shows that hire (Low Bid) or give free passes to the local first responders. To man the tracks inadaquate equipment on race day that are sitting asleep or lounging under the umbrella as the race is going on and then if something happens. They manage to respond as if you bothered them. Or they are cruiseing the pits gawking at racecars when racing is going on.
BELIEVE ME I look. Most do not have any training as to what can explode (Nitrous) Location of Fuel tanks of Dragsters (behind Seat or Nose) What bars to cut or not cut (Fuel lines or battery Cables) How a seat belt works. As a paramedic I had to transport anyone over 40MPH is a car crash for "Mechanism of Trauma" Yet they allow someone who crashes at 100+MPH to walk away (Although you do have the right to refuse)
PLEASE NHRA & IHRA Set some standards that have to be met at ALL tracks.

It great to have the Safety Safari at a national or divisional event. But then next week we race the same track at the same speed and have "Joe the ambulance driver" and two kids that wanted to get in free as the safety team.:eek:

What a bloody genius Mr Burke is!

RIP, what a lot of crap that is. I feel truly awful for the family though. This should've have happened.

For those of you who accept a death of a racer easier than others, all I say is think of the kids, widows etc they leave behind and how that loss will impact on the rest of their lives. What would happen if this had happened in other forms of motorsport? F1 and their support racers race on tracks where the safety and standards are the best. if they don't meet the latest requirements they drop that race from the calander simple.

Huh ??? The automatic shutoff device is MANDATORY on both alcohol cars and fuel cars. This is the device which launches the chutes in the event of a blower pop or loss of compression. As I said this device was not a factor in this crash as there apparently was no mechanical failure.

As I clearly stated, the second device (receiver) which is also mandatory on fuel cars ... is not for alcohol cars.

Check your rulebook ... it is all there in black and white.

Maybe this will clear up the confusion. Electrimotion Shutoff Receiver is not required as you state. My question was, is it permitted?

Let me ask one more time. If I own a AFC or TAD can I install an Electrimotion Shutoff Receiver? I ask because it's not in the rules and even if I wanted to install one I don't think I am allowed to.

Apparently Mr. Bowen doesn't know the answer. Does anyone know?

Let me ask one more time. If I own a AFC or TAD can I install an Electrimotion Shutoff Receiver? I ask because it's not in the rules and even if I wanted to install one I don't think I am allowed to.

Section 13.7 TAFC Support Group
SHUTOFF DEVICE
Properly installed and operational Electrimotion Top Alcohol Funny
Car Shutoff Controller Kit (part number SB001TAFC) mandatory.
The Electrimotion Top Alcohol Funny Car Safety Shutoff Controller
Kit must be properly installed per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Modification of or tampering with the Electrimotion Top Alcohol
Funny Car Safety Shutoff Controller Kit prohibited.

Section 16.2 Funny Car Support Group
SHUTOFF DEVICE
Properly installed and operational Electrimotion Funny Car Safety
Shutoff Controller Kit (part number SB001FC) and Electrimotion
Shutoff Receiver (part number RF001) mandatory. The
Electrimotion Funny Car Safety Shutoff Controller Kit must be
installed per the manufacturer’s instructions. Modification of or
tampering with the Electrimotion Funny Car Safety Shutoff
Controller Kit prohibited.

I can't find anything on Shutoff Receiver being optional on TAFC. Also can't find a part number for TAFC Shutdown Receiver at Electrimotion site. If anyone can contact a Division Tech Director, that should provide a difinitive answer.
Can't remember where the Transmitter is located on the wall (how far downtrack), but I am sure it is positioned for fuel cars. For some reason, 400' comes to (cloudy) mind. If it's 400' past 1000' timers, that would mean it would activate on Alky cars only 80' past their finish line - probably a little quick.
Wish I could be more help, but this is all I can find. - Jim

Section 13.7 TAFC Support Group
SHUTOFF DEVICE
Properly installed and operational Electrimotion Top Alcohol Funny
Car Shutoff Controller Kit (part number SB001TAFC) mandatory.
The Electrimotion Top Alcohol Funny Car Safety Shutoff Controller
Kit must be properly installed per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Modification of or tampering with the Electrimotion Top Alcohol
Funny Car Safety Shutoff Controller Kit prohibited.

Section 16.2 Funny Car Support Group
SHUTOFF DEVICE
Properly installed and operational Electrimotion Funny Car Safety
Shutoff Controller Kit (part number SB001FC) and Electrimotion
Shutoff Receiver (part number RF001) mandatory. The
Electrimotion Funny Car Safety Shutoff Controller Kit must be
installed per the manufacturer’s instructions. Modification of or
tampering with the Electrimotion Funny Car Safety Shutoff
Controller Kit prohibited.

I can't find anything on Shutoff Receiver being optional on TAFC. Also can't find a part number for TAFC Shutdown Receiver at Electrimotion site. If anyone can contact a Division Tech Director, that should provide a difinitive answer.
Can't remember where the Transmitter is located on the wall (how far downtrack), but I am sure it is positioned for fuel cars. For some reason, 400' comes to (cloudy) mind. If it's 400' past 1000' timers, that would mean it would activate on Alky cars only 80' past their finish line - probably a little quick.
Wish I could be more help, but this is all I can find. - Jim

Goodwin we would like you to articulate on the subject:D

After Scotts crash I asked about Chute failures, and why it wasn't getting much mention. And here we are after this weekend, everyone is blaming the tracks! Cory mac went 324 on this supposedly Dangerous track! Anyone want to bet that we wouldn't be talking about any of this had chutes worked? But now that it's apparent Neil had Health problems in the past, I'm not gonna rule that out as a possible cause!

I don't have the exact answer, but typically the rule book tells you what you CAN and CANNOT do. As stated by others, even if it was optional (not mandatory) you couldn't just show up with the device on your car as the on track system is in place to aid runs from the 1000' distance. The current location may be too close to the 1/4 mile finish line for and have to be relocated. I don't know but just thinking of changes that might be necessary. What would be the proper distance past the 1/4 mile finish line to position the signal? At what distance into the shutdown are you passed the point of "no return" so to speak.

I think if the receiver is made mandatory in alcohol, you'll see alcohol cars moved to the 1000' distance at the same time. Then naturally you have to race to 1000' at Divisional events also. All good, but lots to be considered.

Last edited:
Cory mac went 324 on this supposedly Dangerous track! Anyone want to bet that we wouldn't be talking about any of this had chutes worked?

And if memory serves me correctly, and I may be wrong, but Rod Fuller stopped without a chute the same weekend we lost Scott after a pass well over 300mph (314?).

As for your other question, I won't take that bet at all. There are problems that are going to happen that the longest of shutdowns aren't going to remedy.

Sean D

I wrote the text below on the Facebook group.

James Welling I think that all 250+ cars should have F1 style Monaco tubs fitted somehow. But like F1 if the tracks don't meet the correct safety standards, they should be dropped from the calandet.

But I do think we need a top ten list of what makes the racing for the big classes most expensive to race, then address these to see if they can be reduced.
Yesterday at 9:23pm · Like ·
James Welling Just thought of this whilst at work. How about at the end of the track having high concrete barriers in a V shape that then feeds into a tractor pulling sled type device that when hit absorbs the impact and at the same time goes backwards so to slow the car, and depending on the speed of the car involved, the sled applies enough weight/brake to stop at the reinvent distance? The front of the sled cushioned with a few rows of tyres?
55 minutes ago · Like ·
James Welling The above instead of a sandtrap or the sandtrap covered when in use?

We have to apply USAF Preditor drone technology to these race cars. The technology is there.

The sooner we can get people out of these death traps, the sooner we can make racing safe.

While we are at it, I think spectator stands should be moved back an additional 200 feet, for spectator safety.

We can make this sport really safe if we just make the effort.

Drag racing will NEVER be 100% safe. Why doesn't everyone get that.
Strapping a human being into a vehicle that accelerates to 300+ mph in 1000 ft. is dangerous. Period.
There will always be FREAK accidents and combinations of malfunctions that result in tragic outcomes. Yes, all efforts in the interest of safety should be made, but bad things will still happen.
All of the safety equipment in use today is a direct result of some sort of accident in the past and many lives have been saved because of the improvements. But the fact remains, when a driver makes a pass, it may be his last.

Last edited:
We have to apply USAF Preditor drone technology to these race cars. The technology is there.

The sooner we can get people out of these death traps, the sooner we can make racing safe.

While we are at it, I think spectator stands should be moved back an additional 200 feet, for spectator safety.

Damn it Jay! You owe me a Monitor!!!!;):p:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back