Interesting stuff on track safety (1 Viewer)

Could this be the reason that the HANS guy was perking up about safety and the need for his product?:

Head and Neck Restraints | Systems | Equipment | NecksGen.com

(Competition is good...)

I have been using a Hybrid for the last 2 years. Simpson HYBRID PRO RAGE Head and Neck Restraint
The main reason I got that over the Hans is along with straps preventing helmet movement forwards, it also has straps to prevent it sideways. ( I can't gaurantee any accident I'm in will be straight head on.) The Neckgen you posted also has those straps. I have been suggesting these to people ready to buy something.

A friend used to work for a place that formed carbon fiber for Hans. His saying: "The cost of a Hans is $100 of carbon fiber-and $900 of liability insurance."

So, everyone going down a track should have a HANS on?

When a family is faced with the decision to pull the plug on their son/racer after a crash, no matter how preventable it was, they and you will begin to understand that a human life cannot be repaired after a basil skull fracture. :eek:

Anyone else see that interview ages ago with Bill Simpson where he was talking about Dale Earnhardt testing a new helmet.

The story went that Dale was testing the helmet and didn't like it so at speed while testing on the race track he chucked the helmet out the window.

And you got your medical degree where?

Nobody said I had a medical degree... The Hans states it is to prevent head movement forward and back... How many head on collisions are there in drag racing?

Some of the other models that prevent the side to side movement would be better off...

A firesuit only works when you're on fire......

And a firesuit is not required in ALL of drag racing either...

Why not require carbon fibre brakes on Junior dragsters and all cars as well while your at it... They are better after all... ;)

When a family is faced with the decision to pull the plug on their son/racer after a crash, no matter how preventable it was, they and you will begin to understand that a human life cannot be repaired after a basil skull fracture. :eek:

Uncle was riding his bike to work in the Ealy 80s down 5th Ave in NYC, Darr. Someone exited the cab on the street side and unk caught the door- hit it so hard he took out the window AND the frame. Big crack in the noggin, helmet was broken into three big pieces and a few small ones. Cracked a few verts in his neck too. Docs weren't too sure about the neck and the ability to walk again- even less positive about the broken (and not basic, by any means) skull fracture. Long story short, Unk leads as happy, productive, normal life after great repairs by the medical staff and the PT folks. Could have, and should have, been his time, as it could be with anyone doing anything, but life WAS repaired after a extremely traumatic skull injury.

And your point is, Darr?

Uncle was riding his bike to work in the Ealy 80s down 5th Ave in NYC, Darr. Someone exited the cab on the street side and unk caught the door- hit it so hard he took out the window AND the frame. Big crack in the noggin, helmet was broken into three big pieces and a few small ones. Cracked a few verts in his neck too. Docs weren't too sure about the neck and the ability to walk again- even less positive about the broken (and not basic, by any means) skull fracture. Long story short, Unk leads as happy, productive, normal life after great repairs by the medical staff and the PT folks. Could have, and should have, been his time, as it could be with anyone doing anything, but life WAS repaired after a extremely traumatic skull injury.

And your point is, Darr?

Thought we were talking about racing Marty, let's see, the early 80's and 2012, lots of things have changed since then and especially in driver safety when drag racing. Love your story though.

I remember all the BS stories about the times people were wearing seat belts while driving on a rural road, and the car plunged into a lake and everybody drowned except for the one not wearing a seat belt. And your point is?

Thought we were talking about racing Marty, let's see, the early 80's and 2012, lots of things have changed since then and especially in driver safety when drag racing. Love your story though.

I remember all the BS stories about the times people were wearing seat belts while driving on a rural road, and the car plunged into a lake and everybody drowned except for the one not wearing a seat belt. And your point is?

All I got out of your post was that sometimes families have to make horrible decisions after an accident to the head, Darr... And accidents pretty much have remained accidents throughout time- I would bet there were a few head-and-neck injuries running from saber tooth tigers back in the day... Mid way between then and now, it was a smart idea to put men in a metal suit- even that chit didn't keep all of them alive all the time.

And my mom calls me Marty.....

Funny how the safety threads come around here and there are two schools of thought- its not safe enough and there needs to be more added to prevent the unpreventable (potential casualties performing a dangerous activity); and the one that allows free will, while working inside of the established rule set, to all participants in our sport. I'm sure that I'd have a helluva time convincing our local bracket guys that they should voluntarily add a HANS to their package, even after witnessing a few on-track accidents... Free will kinda works best that way. Change the rules and require it- but as some here have already said, God forbid an incident with it results in the same outcome- we've seen the lawyers have a new-Porsche field day with some of the ones we've encountered in the past....

Speaking about oval track racing, I had an opportunity to ride in a two-seater dirt modified this year and was stunned at how much you get thrown around in the car, even with a wrap-around seat, belts and helmet.

The car owner/driver of the team I crew on has had a neck restraint (not Hans) since they first came out. He's the only dirt track driver I've seen that does. He's also a business owner and has a young family to think about. I'm really surprised at how few drivers have followed suit, although neck restraints are mandatory.

I think the statements about caring more about how fast you can go, rather than spending $$$ on safety is a common truth. Sad.

I'd be fine with everyone making their own choices--if we lived in a society where some lawyer can't come in + sue someone (car owner-track-sanctioning body-sponsors on the side of the car-etc.) for a persons wrong choice. "You mean there was equipment availible that might have saved his life-you knew this and you didnt require them to wear it? You make them wear a helmet-correct?--and firesuit correct? And you think that making them buy a $600 piece to drive a $75k race would be too much of a financial burden on the driver?" I know I'd hate to be up against a lawyer asking these questions.

Great points Sherman

Last edited:
Here's a slightly different way to approach this somewhat controversial subject... Lets ask ourselves this question. Why is it NHRA's (or any sanctioning body) responsibility to keep drivers safe? Even hired drivers can walk away if they feel their car owner isn't allowing them to feel as safe as they would like to be. So should personal driver safety be left up to the racers? I say yes.

I mean lets take a step back for a minute and really think about this. Drivers make a concious, personal decision to get into the car to race, whether it's your local dirt track or a 320 MPH Nitro car. They know, or should know, how the car is built, what it's capable of and that it can, in fact, hurt and/or kill them. They also know the track layout, length of the shutdown area, obstacles at the end of the shutdown area, if any, etc. Furthermore, they know, or should know, what safety features exist (fire suits, HANS, roll bar padding, arm straps, etc.) and should do their own research to determine how much, if any, protection they feel they need. Have we really reached a point where we expect someone else to think for us?

Does NHRA have a responsibility to protect the fans? Absolutely. In my mind, many of the safety features that exist are there to protect the fans and keep the track dry so racing can continue. Cylinder Head/Blower restraints, diapers, etc. But even with all of that, fans accept a certain level of responsibility for their own safety as soon as they walk throught he gate... They understand that things can go very wrong and there is a possibility, however slight, that they could be injured, or worse. Antron's unfortunate and tragic incident in AZ is a perfect, but sad reminder of this. The NHL (when there was an NHL) placed nets above the glass behind the nets following the tragic death of a young girl who was struck with a deflected puck in Columbus. Again, the nets are there to protect the fans, not the players. So yes, NHRA still maintains a responsibility to provide a safe racing venue, primarily to protect the crowd.

Am I endorsing a concept where drivers go out each and every week and get themselves severely hurt or killed because nobody cares? No, of course not. I'm simply tired of people expecting someone else to do their thinking for them. These are extremely intelligent human beings we're talking about. I find it difficult, if not impossible to believe that if NHRA suddenly took themselves out of the cockpit and left it entirely up to drivers, that all of a sudden you'd see guys climbing out at at the top end wearing only shorts and a t-shirt. If I'm not mistaken - and again, if I am I'm sure someone will tell me - Alan Bradshaw walked away from his TF ride because he was unhappy with a certain safety feature, or lack thereof, and didn't feel comfortable driving it anymore.

I would even go so far as to say that if we left it solely to the racers themselves, without them being told exactly what to wear, they may, over time, come up with more safety stuff all on their own.

I'm sure there are those who disagree, and I welcome that, but I really feel strongly that people have to be responsible for themselves and their own safety... especially when we're talking about something as trivial as racing.

Because NHRA was founded 60+ years ago with a dedication to safety in mind. That was the whole point. Take drag racing from the streets and wherever else it was and provide a safe organized place to do such a thing. That is their founding concept and a responsibility they assumed in 1951.

Take drag racing from the streets and wherever else it was and provide a safe organized place to do such a thing. That is their founding concept and a responsibility they assumed in 1951.
And nowhere in my comments do I detract from this stated mission. I stated that it should always be NHRA's responsibility to provide a safe racing venue that protects the fans. My comments are primarily directed at the drivers themselves.

The problem is-the guy that would race his S/c dragster in shorts + open face helmet is the same guy that doesn't take into account how anything he does affects others. Ok-something bad happens-he gets burned + paralyzed from the waist down. In the hospital for a month. Insurance only covers some of it. Now what? Now his family is down 1 income-and his wife is pretty much full time his care giver. Now his kids cant afford to go to college. etc etc.
I know this is a "for the want of a nail" scenaro-but one common thing thru this thread- those that are for safety gear, most implyed that their concern was also for others around them.
"I dont have anything to lose"-yea but others do.

Why is it NHRA's (or any sanctioning body) responsibility to keep drivers safe?

That was the premise of my response. Yes it IS their responsibility to keep the drivers safe. They weren't founded just for fans or racetracks. That is why you have to join to be able to compete. If they let anyone on track, then it is a free-for-all, but you need a physical and NHRA license before you plan on making a pass. You are competing in their environment so they are responsible.

That was the premise of my response. Yes it IS their responsibility to keep the drivers safe. They weren't founded just for fans or racetracks. That is why you have to join to be able to compete. If they let anyone on track, then it is a free-for-all, but you need a physical and NHRA license before you plan on making a pass. You are competing in their environment so they are responsible.
Nevermind.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back