Improving NHRA Safety... (1 Viewer)

As I am preparring to head to the races this weekend, an idea hit me for the shut down areas. Why don't they make a "grade" to them? Most sand traps are flat and the same level as the track. Most cars going a decent speed just skip over the sand. Raise the sand trap and make the car dig in like it should be doing. Ever seen the truck run off ramps while traveling the Grapevine (here in California)?

Thats funny, I had that exact thought on the way home from work today. I thought the constant grade might act as a ramp though, once it hits that grade and the angle of the car changes, the car might just skip at that angle then lanuch it (remember physics class?) Maybe grade it with a vertical curve, like a parabola, then the constant upward change in direction would dig it into the gravel instead of skipping it.

Thats funny, I had that exact thought on the way home from work today. I thought the constant grade might act as a ramp though, once it hits that grade and the angle of the car changes, the car might just skip at that angle then lanuch it (remember physics class?) Maybe grade it with a vertical curve, like a parabola, then the constant upward change in direction would dig it into the gravel instead of skipping it.

Think Oatmeal, not 'puffed wheat'

d'kid

They don't all necessarily run 1000 feet, either. Tasca and Worsham, just this morning, ran 4.73 and 4.71, respectively, to 1320 feet, the times that came up on the boards. That would indicate both drivers ran their cars clear out the back door, for whatever reason, without too much concern for chute issues or shutdown length, either.

That race will fuel a bunch of new 1320 VS 1000 arguments, I'm sure, since Tasca was first to 1000 and Worsham was first to 1320.

The first, and simplest, thing to do is to require TAFC and TAD cars to install the auto shutoff device - and go from there.
Doesn't anybody read their rulebook. Check pages 12.1 and 13.7 of the 2010 rulebook. The electrimotion shutoff device for loss of compression (blower burst panels) is mandatory on both TAD and TA/FC. The shutoff receiver like TF anf FC is not required. Many of the alky teams are on a shoestring budget as it is. Requiring both devices would probably destroy both classes as we know them today due to finances. They aren't giving these things away and most alky teams don't have a corporate sponsor to pick up the tab. Maybe the receiver wil become mandatory going forward ... we'll see. Obviously, the current device didn't come in to play with this incident as there was no engine failure.

Pisses me off when people come on to a message board to rany and present a solution without facts. Geez people, hard to have credibility when you come here to just spout off on things you do not know.

Doesn't anybody read their rulebook. Check pages 12.1 and 13.7 of the 2010 rulebook. The electrimotion shutoff device for loss of compression (blower burst panels) is mandatory on both TAD and TA/FC. The shutoff receiver like TF anf FC is not required. Many of the alky teams are on a shoestring budget as it is. Requiring both devices would probably destroy both classes as we know them today due to finances. They aren't giving these things away and most alky teams don't have a corporate sponsor to pick up the tab. Maybe the receiver wil become mandatory going forward ... we'll see. Obviously, the current device didn't come in to play with this incident as there was no engine failure.

Pisses me off when people come on to a message board to rany and present a solution without facts. Geez people, hard to have credibility when you come here to just spout off on things you do not know.

Wouldn't they have to be specifically permitted by the rules to be on an Alcohol car? I don't see anything in the rules permitting this device.

Wouldn't they have to be specifically permitted by the rules to be on an Alcohol car? I don't see anything in the rules permitting this device.
Huh ??? The automatic shutoff device is MANDATORY on both alcohol cars and fuel cars. This is the device which launches the chutes in the event of a blower pop or loss of compression. As I said this device was not a factor in this crash as there apparently was no mechanical failure.

As I clearly stated, the second device (receiver) which is also mandatory on fuel cars ... is not for alcohol cars.

Check your rulebook ... it is all there in black and white.

Lose this discussion Rex. You don't have a clue what happened last Fri. Did you miss the point about the stock Vette at PBIR?

Now you say those were miracles at E-Town. Give me a break. Dixon also said it was a safe track. He was asked that specifically. Apparently you only listened to the last half of the interview.

I'll post again when the accident report comes out Rex. You may continue to post your theories without any further interruption from me.

Huh, BASIC math..........a "Theory".:confused:

You are a 'engineer':rolleyes:

Do the math, then get back to me.:):cool:

REX

Doesn't anybody read their rulebook. Check pages 12.1 and 13.7 of the 2010 rulebook. The electrimotion shutoff device for loss of compression (blower burst panels) is mandatory on both TAD and TA/FC. The shutoff receiver like TF anf FC is not required. Many of the alky teams are on a shoestring budget as it is.

Maybe this will clear up the confusion. Electrimotion Shutoff Receiver is not required as you state. My question was, is it permitted?

THe answer to the question on the safety device is that the radio shut down is not required. As it is set up now it would shut of a alky car on a 1320 pass It is not expensive app.$ 250.00 Probably will be utilized soon. Mike

Sorry, Raw Numbers show, including RT that BTIII (.027) vs Del (.104) without the last digit in the 1320 ets, Bob crossed the stripe first between .03 to .045 quicker....

I stand corrected in that case. It was my understanding the win light came on for Worsham (at the 1320 timers) which I took to mean he got there first. Doesn't compute; sorry.

Doesn't matter, I suppose. It was a 1000' race, and Tasca won it.

It was mentioned about weight exertion on the wings of a T/F. As much as 3000 pounds on the front, not tires, and as much as 6000 pounds on the rear.

The Burkster could not even TRY..........to be on the same page I am.

His are the reflections of an intelligent man.

Four years ago I strapped into a car that ran 130mph at the eighth, no chutes, poor brakes, with around 700' to stop.

I drove that sucker all day until the powerglide locked and threw me into the dash.

I FELT invincible, and NEVER, EVER, thought I could be hurt.

THAT.........is what ANY driver feels.

Not to me.........not on this pass.

The bracket bike i had ran 130 in the 1320.

I NEVER wanted to roll off, I wished the track had a half mile.

I LOVED the speed in a TAFC.........Intoxicating...........a DRUG.

Never any fear once the pedal was mashed.

Absolute, pure, adrenaline.

Tomorrow, I would drive a 200 mph car at that same eighth mile, nothing but Armco at the end, because.........It will......never, happen to me......not on THIS pass..........

We, that do this, and are willing, ain't wired quite right, like the rest of the 99.9% of the population.......

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back