Improving NHRA Safety... (1 Viewer)

So why are they still running 1000 feet over 1320'? I don't know the answer (I do have some thoughts), but I don't believe the problem lies with the car, it lies with the track.

They don't all necessarily run 1000 feet, either. Tasca and Worsham, just this morning, ran 4.73 and 4.71, respectively, to 1320 feet, the times that came up on the boards. That would indicate both drivers ran their cars clear out the back door, for whatever reason, without too much concern for chute issues or shutdown length, either.

That race will fuel a bunch of new 1320 VS 1000 arguments, I'm sure, since Tasca was first to 1000 and Worsham was first to 1320.

The first, and simplest, thing to do is to require TAFC and TAD cars to install the auto shutoff device - and go from there.

So why are they still running 1000 feet over 1320'? I don't know the answer (I do have some thoughts), but I don't believe the problem lies with the car, it lies with the track. It is therefore it is a fallacy to be running at 1000' giving racers and fans a false sence of security.

Both drivers were lost at 1320 ft, so the 1,000 ft rule has nothing to do with it.
May as well get used to it gang, 1,000 ft is ( like the countdown ) here to stay.

Why is it that couch potatoes think they have a clue about racing ? How about they shut down the NJ Turnpike since many people are killed driving at a fraction of the speed of a Funny Car. Why is Pomona not mentioned since it is even shorter than Englishtown ? How about teaching the crew how to pack a chute and check the braking system before every run.

No, actually, he did not, he said to paraphrase, "when i get strapped in that car I feel like i can take on the world".

He did not specify E-Town was safe
, nor was he asked that specific question.

And I KNOW alky drivers that DON'T like the place.

they race there because of the schedule, the venue, and points.

What is this "lose" crap.

you would defend E-town if they were losing a driver a week.

And last year?

those were two very nasty miracles that happened back to back.

Never should have happened at all, at least not with the violence and magnitude that they did.............

REX

Lose this discussion Rex. You don't have a clue what happened last Fri. Did you miss the point about the stock Vette at PBIR?

Now you say those were miracles at E-Town. Give me a break. Dixon also said it was a safe track. He was asked that specifically. Apparently you only listened to the last half of the interview.

I'll post again when the accident report comes out Rex. You may continue to post your theories without any further interruption from me.

Because there is no (very little) weight on the front wheels of a 300 inch dragster.

You're right...standing still. I bet theres more down force on the front tires of a fueler at 300mph + then either of us would guess.

We've both seen TFers bouncing thru the shut down with the rear tires off the ground 75% of the time. I'm saying, lets put brakes on the front tires that ARE on the ground.

Both drivers were lost at 1320 ft, so the 1,000 ft rule has nothing to do with it.
May as well get used to it gang, 1,000 ft is ( like the countdown ) here to stay.

I was trying to say I think the 1,000 ft rule isn't the answer. But I think you are right Paul, 1000 ft is here to stay, but why continue under that rule if that isn't the answer to the problem?

Why is it that couch potatoes think they have a clue about racing ? How about they shut down the NJ Turnpike since many people are killed driving at a fraction of the speed of a Funny Car. Why is Pomona not mentioned since it is even shorter than Englishtown ? How about teaching the crew how to pack a chute and check the braking system before every run.

Why is it that some people think that if you are not a racer your thoughts and opinions are garbage? People who have different backgrounds other then racing might bring thoughts and ideas to the table that a racer might not bring. If you are closed minded and think that only racers can solve racing related problems then you are limiting your problem solving ability.

Why is it that some people think that if you are not a racer your thoughts and opinions are garbage? People who have different backgrounds other then racing might bring thoughts and ideas to the table that a racer might not bring. If you are closed minded and think that only racers can solve racing related problems then you are limiting your problem solving ability.

Well put sir, post of the day.

All you have to do is visit this site which is a fan board, then visit some of the racer boards, and you would see exactly why.

All you have to do is visit this site which is a fan board, then visit some of the racer boards, and you would see exactly why.

Expanding more on that racers only idea.

In another thread we talked about parts failure on a 300 mph fueler and the fact that in order to understand whats going on inside that engine you would have to bring in experts in the field of metallurgy and failure analysis because of the dynamics of the parts and pieces inside a fuel engine. It is important, however, that the expierenced racer remains an integral part of the solution that that expert comes up with.

That is if you believe that the problem lies with the car. If you believe that the solution to safety lies in the shutdown area, I think an expert in crash analysis would be more suitable to come up with the solution to that problem. My background is in engineering, specifically highway design. I know a little about those crash safety devices you see on the side of the highway. Those were developed by testing different ideas in a real world environment. I would think that in order to confidently come up with a shutdown area that is safe in any scenerio you would have to test... with a few fully loaded funnycars and dragsters equipped with a crash test dummy in the seat. Then launch the car into various ideas to see what happens.

But because this is a problem with drag racers and not the general public, either the racers or a sanctioning body such as the NHRA would have to pay for testing, which I would imagine isn't cheap.

Built into this solution would be the fact that drag racing is a dangerous sport with risks involved. It is not feasible to eliminate all risk. There comes a point where you just have to say "we can design a safety system that will safely bring to a stop a car with no chutes and functioning brakes, or a car with chutes and no brakes, or an exploded car with compromised chutes and limited braking, but we can not safely bring to a stop a car with no chutes, no brakes, and an unconscious driver.

Either way, non-racers would play a significant role in making the sport safer.

If he did in fact have a heart attack and that's what caused the tragedy, does all the talk of englishtown being an "unsafe" track go away? From personal experience in a 7.50 dragster I've never had an issue with the track. I know its a far cry from a 250 mph funny car but its just my opinion.

They don't all necessarily run 1000 feet, either. Tasca and Worsham, just this morning, ran 4.73 and 4.71, respectively, to 1320 feet, the times that came up on the boards. That would indicate both drivers ran their cars clear out the back door, for whatever reason, without too much concern for chute issues or shutdown length, either.

That race will fuel a bunch of new 1320 VS 1000 arguments, I'm sure, since Tasca was first to 1000 and Worsham was first to 1320.

The first, and simplest, thing to do is to require TAFC and TAD cars to install the auto shutoff device - and go from there.

Sorry, Raw Numbers show, including RT that BTIII (.027) vs Del (.104) without the last digit in the 1320 ets, Bob crossed the stripe first between .03 to .045 quicker....

As I am preparring to head to the races this weekend, an idea hit me for the shut down areas. Why don't they make a "grade" to them? Most sand traps are flat and the same level as the track. Most cars going a decent speed just skip over the sand. Raise the sand trap and make the car dig in like it should be doing. Ever seen the truck run off ramps while traveling the Grapevine (here in California)?

If he did in fact have a heart attack and that's what caused the tragedy, does all the talk of englishtown being an "unsafe" track go away? From personal experience in a 7.50 dragster I've never had an issue with the track. I know its a far cry from a 250 mph funny car but its just my opinion.

That is what was believed to have happened to John Shoemaker....

That is what was believed to have happened to John Shoemaker....

Exactly. All the rants on this site about the track, NHRA, etc. are by people who fly off the handle without knowing the facts.

The guy in the other lane was quoated as saying , in effect. that the chutes never came out, and he never got off the throttle, driving it full speed off the end of the track. Just like John Shoemaker.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back