Racing safety and issues involved (1 Viewer)

I have always wondered if instead of a remote kill switch or something of that nature like monster trucks use... if it would work to put a lever on the steering wheel like what they use on lawn mowers for engaging and disengaging the cutting blade. Most drivers that I have seen with "in cockpit" cameras always seem to keep on hand as a dedicated steering hand and the other runs the fuel levers, parachutes and any other necessary switches. It should be something that must be held on for the motor to run instead of a switch to turn shut it off. We use foot and hand switches at work to do this, so that way when you run away from a machine that is freaking out... you don't have to think about stopping the machine before you get out of the way. Cause when I panic... thinking is the last thing I'm thinking of :D :D :D

If something like this was added it could deploy chutes, pneumatically apply the brakes, shut of fuel pumps and electrical, if the driver isn't capable of doing it, all at the same time quicker than a remote device.
I think that's an excellent idea, Brad..would be easier at shutdown as well. Driver just releases a button..rather than finding one, which sets the shutdown process in order.

I've never been in the monster breather..but from a laymen's perspective..that certainly makes sense.

Anybody here have Sirius radio?

On the NASCAR channel today they had an interview with John Melvin [very well known and respected in areas of biomechanics/injury causation]. Unfortunately, I didn't hear his interview, I only heard Randy Lajoie talking about his interview. Someone called in about Medlen's incident and whether Lajoie was going to start marketing his seats to drag racers. Lajoie referred to comments Melvin had made, apparently with some authority, that Medlen's injuries were similar to those experienced with shaken baby syndrome. There was apparently something that caused massive vibration, and that was the source of the injury, not necessarily a direct impact.

I hate I missed the actual interview, but I thought I would pass it along.

If this info. is wrong or misleading, I apologize in advance.

I was wondering, as someone that works on one of the NHRA safety trucks quite often national and divisional level. What do you all think is the most prevalent safety issue today.

Great question Anthony and I feel honored that you would ask us. I'd also echo the sentiments of the others and thank you and your truly professional team that keep us safe on race weekends.

I hope I am not beating a deadhorse when I ask this. Anthony, in your experience, how many of the really bad accidents happen on the top end? You asked about the most prevalent safety issue and to me, it is the top speeds of the cars. Or more importantly the amount of time spent at these fast speeds. When 300 mph was the top speed, obviously the cars spent very little time there. But now the TF cars are going 270+ at half track. That is faster than any other motorsports vehicle with the exception of landspeed cars. 270 mph is roughly 400 feet per SECOND. The human reaction time is maybe 0.2 seconds?? A fuel car anywhere past 1/2 track will move 80 feet in that time. A good 1/8th et is about 3.3 sec? That means on a 4.70 pass a funny car is going FASTER than 270 mph for more than a full second.

I truly love my 1320 ets. It is what I learned to race on and pretty much all I know, but I have to wonder how many incidents would never have happened if we raced to 1000 ft or shorter. How many less engine explosions, tire failures, loose cars would there be? I have no stats or anything to back up my theory but I feel that the kings of the sport are crossing into the twilight zone in top speeds these days.

The only way to guarantee safety is to not race and that is not an option. But I honestly believe the speeds are getting to places nobody imagined back in the day. I have to admit I am in complete awe of a 330 mph funny car, but I think the risks today are 10 times what they were when Jim Epler went 300 mph in a funny car and it never occured to me until last week.

Very true Scott,
And most Land Speed cars dont go 300+ either. Very few people on earth have ever gone over 300 on the ground.

Once again, you don't have all the facts.

The wall was not the problem

The car was not accelerating when it hit the wall

The car only hit the right wall

Eric did get the chutes out, and on time.

I understand that everyone wants to speculate and try to come up with an answer, but without all the facts, it's tough to come to the right conclusions

I'm sorry that I can't say more, but PLEASE wait until all is investigated before making your detirminations.

Alan

Alan,

I know that this has been hard on you, as it has been with us all(but you were closer to Eric than most).
I have to say that I am amazed again and again by your great sense and sensitivity, whilst speaking out firmly to stop pointless and painful speculation.

Thanks, Alan

David

Anybody here have Sirius radio?

On the NASCAR channel today they had an interview with John Melvin [very well known and respected in areas of biomechanics/injury causation]. Unfortunately, I didn't hear his interview, I only heard Randy Lajoie talking about his interview. Someone called in about Medlen's incident and whether Lajoie was going to start marketing his seats to drag racers. Lajoie referred to comments Melvin had made, apparently with some authority, that Medlen's injuries were similar to those experienced with shaken baby syndrome. There was apparently something that caused massive vibration, and that was the source of the injury, not necessarily a direct impact.

David - Thanks for your input. This could be what happened - we'll just have to wait. It is now clear that an impact with barriers was not an issue.
Your Dad was a neighbor in Memphis, he put up with kids like me in his garage. I got to hang out with him at Indy in (I think) 1964. Some very good memories of "Mr. 4 Speed".
I remember that Herb was having some health issues, please let us know how he is doing - Jim

Ray,Terry,
Did you have a chance to look at the link I put up on helmets? It goes in pretty deep looking at two different schools of thought on head protection. Kinda hard vs soft.

Also as the original idea of this thread was for any safety ideas and not to be a guess of how we could have saved Eric I hope I didnt turn it in that direction its just a question I have had for a few years on roll bar padding and if it could be made better.
Also not all blows to the head are fatal. Rance McDaniel and Jerry Stiner both had bad crashes and got their bell rung pretty good. Much recoup time and Im not sure they are at 100% yet. So I think more could be done in this area. Just my .02
Troy
I have to be totally honest with you... I would never BS anyway, however I did read a 1/3 of it and skipped down to Snell vs. DOT... Only because I know that a motorcycle helmet, or DOT approved helmet, is not the same as we run in motorsports which are Snell approved... Now with that being said, I understand that my thinking that way from the start is the wrong thing to do... I AM going to go back and re-read the entire article just as soon as I get enough time to do so, and have the time to fully understand it... I am very interested in this issue as a few of you may know...

I wanted to let you know that I see Rance quite often, and he seems good, not great, but more of physical issues, rather than memory... I am not with him everyday and night... But it is always great just to see him, if you know what I mean?? Thanks for the link Troy, I will get back to it this week... It's like a two hour read man... But just you posting this question to both Terry and I... Means that I overlooked something that is important enough to you, for us to go back, read and understand... I WILL GO BACK... Thanks again...
Ray-

Hey Ray,
No Problem. LOL It is a looooong read. Like I said "way more that you ever wanted to know about helmets". And I know it doesent answer all the questions either and will most likely bring up more questions on what would work best in a race car.
Im really glad to hear Rance is doing good I met him at Rodecks in Paso and used to see him at Famoso, a real great guy and I havent seen him in a long time. Tell him we wish we could still watch him drive.
Troy

Aren't the seats in FC/TF bolted directly to the frame? If so wouldn't some sort of absorbent technology such as currently being incorporated into high-rise/skyscrapers to assist in the survival of earthquakes help in this area?

I no mechanical engineer but just maybe something as simple as rubber grommets between the frame and the seats like those used in production cars to help absorb suspension bumps/impacts would help in reducing the harmonics that seems to be the issue here.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back