Phoenix Track Surface & Safety (1 Viewer)

Jimbo

Nitro Member
Anyone have an opinions why so many Funny Cars were headed to the wall and Pro Stocks were all over the place causing several aborted runs.

Has the resurface made Phoenix safer?

Are tracks being prepared the same way this year as last year by the NHRA?

Does it make since to have a transition from one surface material to another at the place the cars are going their fastest?

Does the NHRA have requirements for Track Surface in regards to these issue?

I am hoping this thread will create a healthy discussion about track safety.

Thanks...

I personally thought it was one of the best races I'd see in a while due to the tougher track conditions. Kinda nice to see Lesenko, Milican and Shumacher go rounds!

They spent a lot money resurfacing the track last year, there was a bump in the left lane before they did the work and there is still a bump after the work. A lot of money wasted here. :confused:

Surface appeared to be extremely sensitive to sunlight. With a cloud cover, the first round of T/F was incredibly quick. Sun came out and things got interesting almost immediately.

Surface appeared to be extremely sensitive to sunlight. With a cloud cover, the first round of T/F was incredibly quick. Sun came out and things got interesting almost immediately.

What I was thinking. It was beautiful weather in Phoenix, high 60s-low 70s, and I never saw the track temp above 95....yet there they were trying to deal with excessive heat and having to spool back the tuneups. Even Ron Capps commented about not understanding why the track was getting loose. It wasn't just Phoenix, either; we saw some of this in Pomona where the weather was equally cool. We're in for a long season if that's gonna be the case.

They were still throwing down 3.70's in top fuel and Courtney ran 4.09 in round 2 of funny car. That was one of the hotter parts of the day. I don't think the track is to blame. Jeg getting loose was a result of being to the left of the groove, it's plain as day on the replay he got too close to the centerline and had to lift. I do agree that it seems the funny cars have trouble on the top end. It was more than a few that seem to start "rotating around" just at or just past the 1,000ft mark. Kinda wonder if they were still running the quarter how hairy those last 320 feet would be.

I don't think the track is to blame.

I don't either. I've noticed this the past couple of years and I suppose it's evidence of the staggering amount of power the nitro cars are now developing. Five years ago, they could run the number on a 120-degree track. Today, not so easy.

Oh what fun it was in Texas, Sept 2010, when the track temperature on Friday afternoon was 149. :eek:

I agree as well. I also don't understand how a track resurfaced a short time ago has bumps etc in one of the lanes.

From my perspective it seemed like a lot of the Pro Stock cars were on the ragged edge of loosing it when the sun came out even though the track temp never went over 100. It also seem like a few too many Funnies were up against the wall.

Many of the FCs have opened up their spoilers quite a lot, meaning less down force but quicker and faster if it stays planted.

I agree as well. I also don't understand how a track resurfaced a short time ago has bumps etc in one of the lanes.

From my perspective it seemed like a lot of the Pro Stock cars were on the ragged edge of loosing it when the sun came out even though the track temp never went over 100. It also seem like a few too many Funnies were up against the wall.
Seemed like Mike Neff had it figured out ... running 4.09's in each lane during rd. 2 and semi's speaks to tuning skills. Remember Neff also sat for 35 minutes while they cleaned up the Lucas mess and still ran a 4.09. We all love an event full of high quality runs, but when the conditions change ... they are the same for all. Some are just better at adapting.

The Summit cars and Edwards have more power.
So the other 13 can either admit defeat, and run a nice, safe, 6.65. Or they can be uber agressive down low, on the ragged edge all the way down and take a shot...maybe it works, maybe it kicks the tires and drives out of the groove. The thing is they are racers, which option do you think appeals to them??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back