If you were a driver in Fuel Funny Car... (1 Viewer)

Shan

Nitro Member
I think we can all agree that John Force is and will always be one of the biggest names, one of the most influential and successful drivers and one of the fiercest competitors in the sport of drag racing, not to mention the fact that he has practically dominated the Funny Car class, 14 championships, almost-20-year qualifying streak, etc.

With that being said, and assuming (yes, this is just an assumption) that Force may only be driving for a couple of more years, if that, I pose this question out of curiosity:

Hypothetically speaking, if you were a driver in Fuel Funny Car, would winning the Championship title be more meaningful and create more satisfaction for you personally if Force was still one of your competitors?

If yes, why? If no, why not?

Last edited:
Force is the benchmark against which all other Nitro Funny Car drivers will be judged, especially if the sport ever goes media "big time". His place in the history of ALL sports, because of his sucess and untouchable streaks, will forever be what every racer strives to be compared to.

That being said, the ability to be able to compete against those that have established the high water mark, especially in sport, is very limited at best. To pitch against Mays, to defend a pass from Namath, to go into a break even match against Ashe are things that those that have had the opportunity to do it should revere and honor- they were lucky enough to play against the best in history. But the new breed of athletes, including drag racers, have the opportunity to establish new benchmarks with determination and a bit of luck on their side. To see Hank Aaron break the record was amazing- to watch Bonds approach it is something I never thought I'd be lucky enough to see twice in my lifetime. Same goes for Force. IF I were ever lucky enough to compete on that level of playing field, I'd want to take it against the best at the time- but obviously if "the best" was no longer competing, the best at the time would be just fine for me...

Personally, I would have loved to compete against Prudhomme...

If he were still relevent as a championship contender, like my hero Big Daddy circa 1987-1988. It was cool to win a championship and still have Big in the ranks. However, after that, it was kinda a given that he was just an also-ran. But that's just my opinion, and these 2 drivers (Garlits and Force) are still my favorite racers.

You should always want to beat the best to become the best yourself.

or as Ric Flair says " to be the man you got to beat the man"

yes I did use a wrestling quote.

Anyway I'd want to race against the best, the only thing is that in all sports the best is in a constant state of flux. 2 seasons ago the Detroit Tigers stunk, last year they made the world Series and are a top team this year. We've seen super bowl champs who miss the playoffs the next year. Who would guess that Force would be in 18th place this far into the season. Beating him would still be huge but beating Capps or Hight right now is more of an accomplishment. Who knows in a few more races that may change.

Remember when Force first started winning championships. It was the year Snake and Kenny moved to Top Fuel, there were critics at the time that claimed he only won because those two had moved on. Now, we all now that Force and his team are among the best ever but then they were not considered great, just good timing.

Force is the benchmark against which all other Nitro Funny Car drivers will be judged, especially if the sport ever goes media "big time". His place in the history of ALL sports, because of his sucess and untouchable streaks, will forever be what every racer strives to be compared to.

I still think Dale Pulde's the Best FC driver ever! Force while he may be a good driver has had the Best Tuner in the Business for over 15 years, makes a driver look real good!:rolleyes:

I still think Dale Pulde's the Best FC driver ever! Force while he may be a good driver has had the Best Tuner in the Business for over 15 years, makes a driver look real good!:rolleyes:

I'd submit my vote for Ace. As tuner/drivers go, his resume is stellar. His lack of championships is more due to the lack of an existing points scheme than lack of accomplishment. He's never been an also ran.

I think I would want to race with Force prior to his multi car effort to keep the playing field even (you know back when he didn't "dominate"). That would also pit me against Kenny and Etchells.....wow that would rock.

I think I would want to race with Force prior to his multi car effort to keep the playing field even (you know back when he didn't "dominate"). That would also pit me against Kenny and Etchells.....wow that would rock.

What?? So John didn't dominate before Tony joined?? :rolleyes:

I seem to remember the slogan "The nightmare continues" very well.

I'd submit my vote for Ace. As tuner/drivers go, his resume is stellar. His lack of championships is more due to the lack of an existing points scheme than lack of accomplishment. He's never been an also ran.

Good point. Ace has always been a front runner (FC, TF, driver, crew chief, etc.).

I wanna clarify something here. When I said about Big Daddy being an "also ran" towards the end of his career, I absolutely mean no disrespect. He is my all time hero. But when he last competed at Indy, yes, it was truly impressive that he qualified, but did anyone think, other than miraculous parts failure of all his competitors, that he would win? Of course, I pulled and pined for him, but deep down I knew that Big winning the Big Go would be like the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series!

NOPE! He had tough races then and had to earn them the hard way. I feel he was a better driver before Tony.

Ok.. if winning 4 titles in 5 years is not dominant (almost 5 for 5) I don't know what is. If you look back to 1993 and 1994 after Cruz took Johns title away, nobody else was even close. :rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back