Down Force On A Funny Car? (1 Viewer)

NitroRichFire

Nitro Member
Hello everyone! Some of the posts here say that taking away the down force on a funny car will help slow the funny cars down. I'm alittle confused over this. I always thought (there I go thinking again) that the down force made the funny cars easier to drive or handle if you will. How would taking away the down force help slow the funny cars down. Many thanks and have a great week, please stay safe out there!!!

Take away down force and lose traction The downforce pushes down on the tires effectively increasing traction... No traction=tire smoke=No speed.. To over come it they would have to set the clutches up softer allowing more slip.. Once again No Speed.. Take the HUGE spoilers off the back of the car and you eliminate the TOP END SPEED.. Still have the acceleration off the line but lose MPH..

At least that's my theory on how it works :D Just don't know if people would consider PEDAL FESTS as an unsafe condition.. :p

Great idea!

Eliminating downforce has worked, to my knowledge, in every other form of racing to slow performance.

We also know that, eventually, one way or the other, the racers will get the numbers back!

The father of professional, paid drag racing , Doug Kruse - with his PDA races of the late '60s to late '70s predicted years ago there would be two kinds of dragsters, open wheeled and STREAMLINERS.

Compared to Jocko Johnson's and later the Arivett brothers efforts to turn TF into a true aerodynamics, streamlining for speed AND ET, contest, todays "Fuel Coupes" (ain't that a joke?") have circumvented those guys dreams with today's F-16 cockpits, corporate wind tunnel designed, downforce driven abortions.

How 'bout a five year plan to turn them back into something we'd maybe recognize on the street?

But then they'd look like today's Pro Stocks, wouldn't they?

Last edited:
Also, the more traction you have, by increasing the downforce, the more you can load the motor and, therefore, can throw more nitro at it. That's obviously one of the reasons for more speed.

I don't care for those huge wings as it takes away from the looks of the car. But I want the drivers to have a safe ride too.

Reduce blower overdrive.
No setback blowers (hate the look)
One mag
Maybe change the rear end gearing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back