TF/FC 1000" Track = new 1320 speed? (1 Viewer)

DG

Nitro Member
I see that there are no reflectors at the "old 1320" when Top Fuel and Funny Car run.

Does anyone have any ACTUAL information on what they are actually running for speed at the old 1320 mark with the chutes out and the throttle off?

330+ MPG was regularly the top speed, I wonder what it is now?:confused:

It has to help slow them down for the shorter tracks!

I see that there are no reflectors at the "old 1320" when Top Fuel and Funny Car run.

Does anyone have any ACTUAL information on what they are actually running for speed at the old 1320 mark with the chutes out and the throttle off?

Good point, I would love to see speed at the 1320, that would prove or disprove wheather this has much effect on safety.

Good point, I would love to see speed at the 1320, that would prove or disprove wheather this has much effect on safety.

If they are off the throttle at 1000', the tremendous downforce, and wind resistance, would probably scrub off 30-50 mph even w/o chutes.

How many times in the "1320 era":rolleyes: we saw cars lose power at the 11-1200' mark and still run .60's at 280 or so?

They are slowing, anything else would just defy physics.

Unless at 1320 they are under power, then all bets are off..............

REX

If they are off the throttle at 1000', the tremendous downforce, and wind resistance, would probably scrub off 30-50 mph even w/o chutes.

How many times in the "1320 era":rolleyes: we saw cars lose power at the 11-1200' mark and still run .60's at 280 or so?

They are slowing, anything else would just defy physics.

Unless at 1320 they are under power, then all bets are off..............

REX

yet it took Kalitta 2240 more feet to scrub off 50 mph.. How is that?

From the data acq on a 320 MPH ET slip 1320' run...0.1 of a second the car lost 5.29 mph on the Right Front Wheel Speed (RFWS). 0.20 the RFWS is 11.63 slower. Then 19.57 at 0.30, 24.92 at 0.40 and 31.77 MPH at 0.50. You make your own deductions from it. Thats just the real data.

yet it took Kalitta 2240 more feet to scrub off 50 mph.. How is that?

Downforce was gone from the loss of the body.

Annnnd.........the motor was still running on it's own oil that was being sucked into the motor through a damaged intake system.

Those were the reports, and that was enough to keep the car going a fairly good clip.

It should have slowed much, much more, when I saw the car steaming in from the end cam, I was horrified by the velocity.

I have been to at least 20 national events there, and NEVER saw a car (when a cam was in place there) come in THAT hot.

People around me screamed.

REX

From the data acq on a 320 MPH ET slip 1320' run...0.1 of a second the car lost 5.29 mph on the Right Front Wheel Speed (RFWS). 0.20 the RFWS is 11.63 slower. Then 19.57 at 0.30, 24.92 at 0.40 and 31.77 MPH at 0.50. You make your own deductions from it. Thats just the real data.

Yup, a simple "do the math" thing.

Even a know nothing knud like me figured about the same reduction.

Probably roughly 40 or so mph plus or minus at the "old" stripe.

REX

If it's "40 miles or so", then it's faster than mid-track speeds! WOW!

Slowing the cars down to a "safe" speed is going to be tough...

If it's "40 miles or so", then it's faster than mid-track speeds! WOW!

Slowing the cars down to a "safe" speed is going to be tough...

and remember, you don't lift until after you cross the stripe... that was the logic behind shortening the speed traps years ago... how many drivers were famous for driving it 'out the back door'?

the math would be hairy, but if they shortened the traps to 6' 8"...(1/10th of the length now), then we would really know what the cars were running at the stripe.

d'kid

Downforce was gone from the loss of the body.

Annnnd.........the motor was still running on it's own oil that was being sucked into the motor through a damaged intake system.

Those were the reports, and that was enough to keep the car going a fairly good clip.

It should have slowed much, much more, when I saw the car steaming in from the end cam, I was horrified by the velocity.

I have been to at least 20 national events there, and NEVER saw a car (when a cam was in place there) come in THAT hot.

People around me screamed.

That is a sight that I am fortunate to have not witneesed. I have talked to someone that saw a film or photos of Scott's crash that have not been posted and hopefully never will. I saw a Top fuler crash many years ago in which a driver was killed. Can't put the vision of it out of my thoughts. It is the duty of everyone that loves this sport to help prevent this from happening again. We all know 330 mph. is a bit to fast.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back