If you were a driver in Fuel Funny Car... (1 Viewer)

Hey Ray, maybe you can answer this. I think the dry hops went away with the advent of the direct-drive, no tranny deal. But alky cars have been using 3-speeds & clutches since Pro Comp. What changed in their combo to dictate no need for dry hops? BTW, I too miss the dry hops a bunch!! And wheel bubbles...

Awesome memories for sure, Chi-Town Hustler and Ramchargers doing 1/4 mile burnouts, dry hops, test launches...................

If I was a funny car driver, I would take verbal jabs at John Force in my interviews and burn him down on the tree just to start a competitive rivalry..............:eek:

I'm not sure what the average age is on mater... But I have been seeing a lot of mid 40 birthdays lately... :eek: :D

Dry Hops have been long gone since around the mid to late 80's I believe... So if you were not around in that era, you missed one of the coolest things ever...

Long smokey burnouts, followed by either one or two simulated launches behind the starting line... RPM's up as high as at launch for the Alky cars followed by dumping the clutch and mashing the loud pedal for a split second and grabbing a handful of brake... The fuel cars did it as well... Atleast I have ALL those memories on audio tape... :D

I was just a kid in the 80's but I remember dry hops and crazy long burnouts. I miss them both

Hey Ray, maybe you can answer this. I think the dry hops went away with the advent of the direct-drive, no tranny deal. But alky cars have been using 3-speeds & clutches since Pro Comp. What changed in their combo to dictate no need for dry hops? BTW, I too miss the dry hops a bunch!! And wheel bubbles...
Clutch pack wear... :( Along with valve train stress/breakage... Why do everything twice to both, when once is plenty... :rolleyes: Ever notice that some cars are late to fire and Rick motions them to bring it right to the line with either a minimal burnout, or just enough to get the wetness off the tires?? Then they go out and shock us by not going directly up in smoke, much less laying down a solid number... I sure hope the days of burnouts are not numbered... :mad: I know they have to build heat in everything, but sometimes heat is not your friend...

If burnouts ever stop, the place will be empty I tell ya, E-M-P-T-Y... :D

No worries Ray. I have it from a reliable source that NHRA will be announcing a return to 90% nitro and a mandatory minimum of 400 ft burnouts. Also being considered are bonus points for burnouts past the 1/8...

If you were a driver in Fuel Funny Car...

I'd trailer it to the local "Cruise in" at Burger King... park it around the corner... then start it on 90% Nitro, and "Idle" into the car show..

Give it a few "Blips" as I entered the lot.....

LMAO at all the people dying from the Nitro fumes... Then I'd start to think of how to talk my way outta trouble with the Cops when they showed up :D

No worries Ray. I have it from a reliable source that NHRA will be announcing a return to 90% nitro and a mandatory minimum of 400 ft burnouts. Also being considered are bonus points for burnouts past the 1/8...
REALLY?? :cool:

Maybe we can petition them to bring back the bunny hops as well... :D
I mean dry hops... :p

2 things....

I'd wear Depends, and I agree 100% about the dry hop, LOTS of them. (The Depends would take care of the wet hops!):D Then I'd leave late when I raced PJ and catch him in the lights!

you'd leave late anyway, you'd be catching one of your "power naps" between pre stage and stage

I'd marry Ashley Force.

hey stay off my kool-aid chris!! :p :eek: :cool:

if i were the driver of a funny car....it would of course be the rebirth of the Chi-Town of course....maybe try to get Coil back from Force LOL

i would have to have my grandfather and father teach me how to make the burnout famous again ;)

...I'd figure out how to make 98% legal again, so that starting line cackle would make women quiver, and the big orange flames over the roof would make mortal men coil back in fear!!

These 85% guys are wusses!!!!!:D

Clutch pack wear... :( Along with valve train stress/breakage... Why do everything twice to both, when once is plenty... :rolleyes: Ever notice that some cars are late to fire and Rick motions them to bring it right to the line with either a minimal burnout, or just enough to get the wetness off the tires?? Then they go out and shock us by not going directly up in smoke, much less laying down a solid number... I sure hope the days of burnouts are not numbered... :mad: I know they have to build heat in everything, but sometimes heat is not your friend...

If burnouts ever stop, the place will be empty I tell ya, E-M-P-T-Y... :D

Ray, isn't it Jim Head we can blame for the loss? I think I remember hearing him take credit for, or someone crediting him with, the demise of the beloved dry hop.

I'm not sure what the average age is on mater... But I have been seeing a lot of mid 40 birthdays lately... :eek: :D

Dry Hops have been long gone since around the mid to late 80's I believe... So if you were not around in that era, you missed one of the coolest things ever...

Long smokey burnouts, followed by either one or two simulated launches behind the starting line... RPM's up as high as at launch for the Alky cars followed by dumping the clutch and mashing the loud pedal for a split second and grabbing a handful of brake... The fuel cars did it as well... Atleast I have ALL those memories on audio tape... :D

Heck no, I'd be the guy out side the the car, while that lil cutie in the jeans cut off to the pockets and the loose halter top backed ya up after the 1000 ft smokey burn-out... put ya where I wanted ya on the track.... then ya'd do the first of two dry hops, just past the tree.... we'd all watch her run out and guide ya back... another dry.... she does it again.... then bows to the crowd... damn, the views better from outside the car.... I'd guide ya into the beams... and you're on your own as that baby hikes the front 2 feet on launch, carries it out to half track, sets the front end down and boogies to the top end... meanwhile, lil cindy sue climbs her cute little self into crew cab dually and I have her company as we run down ta pick ya up....

and who cares if the cars are only running low sevens or very high sixes... it's the show people..... :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back