Force and T Ped going at it in the shutdown? (2 Viewers)

Goodwin stated "Now the man on his own despite multi car teams has won a championship (2007) and JF had nothing to do with it".

Nothing to do with it other that Tony having one of Force's tuners in his corner.

Tony left Force at the right time when he won a championship and he had the perfect marketing ploy to get a major sponsor to go on his own. If he did not sign Quaker State would he of gone out on his own.

SPEEDZONE MAGAZINE ONLINE

Dean

Because he shoved an official, that's why!

But you don't believe being called a cheater on national TV or a cripple by the brother to his face in the shut-down area is wrong? Remember "inciting a riot" gets the same penalty as being in a riot civilly speaking.

At some point these threads will eventually die but I doubt the truth will ever come out. As I see it:
Some like Force, and defend his actions!
Some like Tony and Cruz and defend their actions!
Some just hate John and some just hate the Pedregon brothers and will spew pages of rhetoric in an attempt to make their point. Present poster included.

Ron Capps clocked Whit in the pits a few years back yet, that physical drama wasn't as emotionally moving to us as this simple exchange of words was between these figures. There is simply a lot of love here (and hate!)

Because he shoved an official, that's why!

I may be wrong but I didn't see him shove anyone. He tryied to free himself several times because two guys were draging him away. Yet I saw no one pulling on Tony. Don't get me wrong, I like Both John & Tony.

Just seems like folks are making more out of it then it was. Unlike nascar, no one thru the finger - a helmet - or a punch. ESPN is as much at fault for setting this up.

I think I have the solution to end this whole thing right here:

Charlotte is in what, 2 weeks? Next event on the schedule, and is a 4 lane track. Get both of the Pedregon brothers, Robert Hight and John Force and put them in all 4 lanes and RUN 'EM. None of this 1000' foot sissy $hit either, run the quarter, and as Cruz "the hypocrite" Pedregon said yesterday, "let the chips fall where they may".

I think I have the solution to end this whole thing right here:

Charlotte is in what, 2 weeks? Next event on the schedule, and is a 4 lane track. Get both of the Pedregon brothers, Robert Hight and John Force and put them in all 4 lanes and RUN 'EM. None of this 1000' foot sissy $hit either, run the quarter, and as Cruz "the hypocrite" Pedregon said yesterday, "let the chips fall where they may".

Here Ya Go !!

MARCUS SMITH OFFERS 20K FOR T-PED/FORCE GRUDGE RACE
Written by Adrian Parker
Tuesday, 08 September 2009
Determined to give drag racing fans the race they want to see in the wake of the U.S. Nationals, Speedway Motorsports President Marcus Smith is offering to host a winner-take-all $20,000 grudge race between John Force and Tony Pedregon on Friday night,
Sept. 18, of the NHRA Carolinas Nationals at zMAX Dragway.

"I'm a race fan at heart and after watching the U.S. Nationals at Indy, and the heated confrontation between John and Tony, I can say without a doubt that's the matchup I want to see at the Carolinas Nationals," said Smith. "Those guys nearly came to blows. What better way to kickoff an exciting weekend than ending the first Pro day with a $20,000-to-win 'Grudge Match at zMAX' between those two champions?"

The drama started at Indianapolis when Robert Hight beat teammate and team owner Force in the semifinals, taking the 10th and final spot away from Cruz Pedregon in the Funny Car Countdown to 1 field. The Pedregon brothers claim Force threw the race to ensure his fourth team car made the playoffs

Here Ya Go !!

MARCUS SMITH OFFERS 20K FOR T-PED/FORCE GRUDGE RACE
Written by Adrian Parker
Tuesday, 08 September 2009
Determined to give drag racing fans the race they want to see in the wake of the U.S. Nationals, Speedway Motorsports President Marcus Smith is offering to host a winner-take-all $20,000 grudge race between John Force and Tony Pedregon on Friday night,
Sept. 18, of the NHRA Carolinas Nationals at zMAX Dragway.

"I'm a race fan at heart and after watching the U.S. Nationals at Indy, and the heated confrontation between John and Tony, I can say without a doubt that's the matchup I want to see at the Carolinas Nationals," said Smith. "Those guys nearly came to blows. What better way to kickoff an exciting weekend than ending the first Pro day with a $20,000-to-win 'Grudge Match at zMAX' between those two champions?"

The drama started at Indianapolis when Robert Hight beat teammate and team owner Force in the semifinals, taking the 10th and final spot away from Cruz Pedregon in the Funny Car Countdown to 1 field. The Pedregon brothers claim Force threw the race to ensure his fourth team car made the playoffs

Good for Marcus Smith, I like it, but like I said, it's a 4 lane track, at least run John against BOTH of the whining little douchebags and run them both at once.

I'll bet Force kicks BOTH their asses at once! Imagine how pissed the Force bashers would be then. Or do you think the little *****es at Pedregon racing have the sack?

In the last two season the Pedregons have the winning record against all JFR cars and their big time budget s and the 30+ employees...and how many crewchiefs compared to Tony and Cruz's team?
And who holds the 1320 et record? I think it is Tony......

In the last two season the Pedregons have the winning record against all JFR cars and their big time budget s and the 30+ employees...and how many crewchiefs compared to Tony and Cruz's team?
And who holds the 1320 et record? I think it is Tony......

Last I heard JFR had about 80+ employees.

Many years ago Brad Anderson once told me, when the rage was to buy 53 foot trailers and a Kenworth tractors, "You can't take all that sh#t to the starting line."

RG

Randy, I heard the same thing about the # of employees in the JFR compound.

This whole deal was not an issue til Force looked like an idiot on TV.
My family who has zero interest in drag racing was watching w/ me and they called Force a 'hot mess'.

The Pedregons earned alot of fans by calling him out as many drivers/owners applauded them Monday evening..

My family who has zero interest in drag racing was watching w/ me and they called Force a 'hot mess'.

Mine too. My 83-year old Dad kept asking me "why is that man yelling all the time", even before the incident. He just thought Force was a loose cannon, then the top end scuffle, and he just rolled his eyes. Sheesh...

Is there a second source on Tony P calling John a cripple in the shut down area? I can only find one source, that being one of the articles quoting John on comp plus.

Was Tony's comment on camera? I watched and can't find it.

Randy Goodwin previously asked the same thing.

There's currently TWO prime time TV shows about behavioral science playing a role in solving crimes. (The Mentalist and some other show?) I sure would like behavioral scientists to look at the Force/Tony shut down tapes and analyze what their expressions and body language are saying about them.

Tony's expression and body language really seems to be saying that he wanted John to take a swing at him and Tony was really prepared for a physical response.

Tony would snap John in half, in a one on one. He's much younger and fit, and may have some boxing or karate martial arts stuff in his history?

Strictly my own personal lay opinion, but I think Tony was prepared to get physical. He would win, but what's the honor in beating up a much older man that is "crippled"?

I think this is called a "straw man argument". I'm debating about my own hypothetical that never happened. Beware of such arguments.

But, the confirmation for the under the breath 'cripple' comment and also the pursuit of scientific analysis on the confrontation are worthy and legitimate topics.

-90% jimmy

Tony was trying his best to get John to throw a punch in hoping NHRA would suspend John or dock him points. Anything to get Cruz back in the top 10.

Again I say, racers in every series are very intelligent people and understand that team orders can have a direct impact on a championship outcome, and in the 20 years I've been covering motorsports, I can't recall any driver or any team taking any less pride or satisfaction in winning a championship after utilizing team orders. Not one.

On the record? Of course not. Off the record, looking in the mirror, for instance, I bet they would, but that's just me. Bill, all of us accept the fact that there will always be team orders in place, regardless of the motorsport, but that damn sure doesn't mean we have to like it. Myself, I think it sucks big time. Let the racer in question earn his/her success.

Tony was trying his best to get John to throw a punch in hoping NHRA would suspend John or dock him points. Anything to get Cruz back in the top 10.

Amazing the ability some people have on this board to just jump head first right into the minds of other people.

Absolutely amazing!:rolleyes:

On the record? Of course not. Off the record, looking in the mirror, for instance, I bet they would, but that's just me. Bill, all of us accept the fact that there will always be team orders in place, regardless of the motorsport, but that damn sure doesn't mean we have to like it. Myself, I think it sucks big time. Let the racer in question earn his/her success.

If "You" or "I" or "Any" racer had a problem with winning a race that was a forgone conclusion, or losing one (if told to do so) by the "Team Boss" I would advise "You or "That Racer" NOT to sign on with ANY "TEAM" and go it alone so if he won he can honestly say "I" won the championship!!

However if the racer (whoever it may be) has a problem by taking a "Dive" (Team Orders) or winning, knowing the guy in the other lane (His Teammate) is going to dive.. He'd be best advised to go it ALONE !

Last edited:
If "You" or "I" or "Any" racer had a problem with winning a race that was a forgone conclusion, or losing one (if told to do so) by the "Team Boss" I would advise "You or "That Racer" NOT to sign on with ANY "TEAM" and go it alone so if he won he can honestly say "I" won the championship!!

However if the racer (whoever it may be) has a problem by taking a "Dive" (Team Orders) or winning, knowing the guy in the other lane (His Teammate) is going to dive.. He'd be best advised to go it ALONE !

And THAT, as the saying goes, is where the rubber meets the road.

In 2003 at the U.S. Nationals (ironically), I was sitting in the VIP suite hanging with Gary Scelzi who had joined Schumacher Racing that year. I asked him if he had yet been asked to execute team orders. He said at that point, he hadn't. I asked him what he would do if he were asked and he said, "There's no way I would do that. I'm a racer and I race to win." I told him I respected his feelings, but also that at some point, he would be facing a very tough decision which could impact his employability.

Most of you remember the incident in Seattle soon thereafter when Gary raced Whit Bazemore in the second round with Whit in position to take the points lead. I was the top end reporter for ESPN at the time and conducted the interview with Gary. After losing handily to Whit, Gary was visibly shaken, emotionally distraught, and literally looked like he would puke when he exited his car. Gary stayed with that team for several more years, won a championship in 2005, and in my opinion, belongs on the Top 5 of the greatest Top Fuel and Funny Car drivers of the past two decades, if not in history. I can also tell you that what happened in Seattle that day (and on any other occcasion where he was required to abide by team orders) has always stuck in Gary's craw.

Sure, the four devastating accidents he suffered in the span of three years had something to do with his decision to step away, but Gary Scelzi is also not the kind of driver who can comfortably race in an era when team orders come into play. I think he made the right decision, although the sport has lost one of its genuine stars.

And BTW, nobody takes greater pride and satisfaction--on or off the record--than Gary for winning the 2005 championship.

Last edited:
And THAT, as the saying goes, is where the rubber meets the road.

In 2003 at the U.S. Nationals (ironically), I was sitting in the VIP suite hanging with Gary Scelzi who had joined Schumacher Racing that year. I asked him if he had yet been asked to execute team orders. He said at that point, he hadn't. I asked him what he would do if he were asked and he said, "There's no way I would do that. I'm a racer and I race to win." I told him I respected his feelings, but also that at some point, he would be facing a very tough decision which could impact his employability.

And BTW, nobody takes greater pride and satisfaction--on or off the record--than Gary for winning the 2005 championship.

I'm with you 100%.. but as you say (above) Gary wouldn't take a "Dive"... ok let me play the devils advocate...

If the Owner/Boss told Gary (or any other driver) to "Be a little LATE" on the tree, and "blip the throttle" to prevent tire shake... :( (you get my point)

And either Gary or the driver who was driving said to the boss "No I'm not gonna Dive"

Well now the owner has to either fire him on the spot.. or talk to the crew chief.. and make sure "THAT" car (no matter who is driving it) will have a Very Short Fuse... maybe forget to torque the head bolts, and blow it up at the 330' costing the "Boss" $50,000 for a new motor.. or just put too much clutch in it, (but as we now know NHRA looked at the tune up on John F car) and they (NHRA) said the tune up looked ok... so there is No Argument there.... and as for John picking the Right lane.. well he explained it.. his daughter had just won in that lane, & he had to peddle it in the Left lane earlier in the day...

Another thought... do you remember when one of Kenny Bernstein's crew Forgot To Put Oil In His TF Car and they had to shut it down on the line.....:eek: S**T happens, but if a race is going to be decided in the pits, the team owner can make it happen either with or without the drivers consent... IMHO ...
You thoughts..... ??

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back