DRO recognizes season long champions (1 Viewer)

Pay attention my man,

Under the old system, Tony Shoe would be in the top 4, even under the old system, you forget he also has 5 wins......................

Under the old system, Dixon still has a chance to get by Fuller, under the old system.........

Under the old system, Hight would only need 3 more rounds and a few qualifying positions to get by Capps under the boring ass, OLD SYSTEM!:eek:

You guys should really let it play out before you shed anymore unwarrented tears!

Thanks for making those points. Exactly what most of us are saying. There was nothing wrong with the old points system. There would still be plenty of drama heading into the last two events without the Chase B.S.
The chase sucks and only about 25% of you actually like it according to every poll I've seen on it. But hey ! Your entitled to your opinion too.

I don't play "Follow the Leader":cool:

Seeing a Championship wrapped up by August is horrifically boring.

But also if it ever goes back to the "old way" I've said again and again, I'll not be upset in the least.

REX

Beyond who gets the championship there are also the races down the list that get twisted by this point system.

With the points locked at 8. Whit will not drop past that even though he will not race at the last 2 races. Melanie, despite a late surge can not move up.

I don't need nhra to tell me if something is exciting or playing with the points to add some false sense of drama. To me, by doing this is has all the reality and drama of those "reality" tv shows. I just don't buy it. I guess I am just a purist or the competitor in me just can't accept points for nothing. I believe that the championship should go to whomever earned the most points all season. I would rather them do away with points all together then to see another season of the countdown. Each national event has always been a playoff in its own way. Luckily the races still matter because the championship does not. I actually feel bad if someone wins their first title because of the help they got from this system. To many fans it will always have a cloud over it and its not fair to them but thats how it is.

I think the funny thing about this countdown is that they(Glendora) were so happy with the way the TF points played out last year and FC the year before, that they contrived a way to replicate that type ending every year.

All they forgot............the fact that it doesn't happen very often
IS WHAT MAKES IT SPECIAL :)

This reminds me of the 2000 election.

The die was cast, the loser lost time and time again,

and to this very day the whining over that has not ceased also

(BTW........the one that lost was a Hawk about Iraq too, ahhhh.......jess in case someone brings it up):rolleyes:;)

REX

The only reason I don't think it works is look who everyone is copying.... March Madness... what we have here is every sweet sixteen team on one court at the same time... and all baskets count... even after you've advanced to the eight or the final four....

From Indy to Richmond, the fields should have been 8 cars only... at Vegas and Pomona just 4.... great TV package.... live for 2 or 3 hours...

But Rex, you see, I find this Boring... The Championship stuff, that is....

I watch each race to see who wins that week, who set low ET or Top Time... V2 and P2 I'm more interested to see if someone can come close the the National Record... and I really think The Finals should float every year... What's so Holy about The Fairplex... why not somewhere in the middle of The Country instead of the lower right corner? I'd love to see what kind of times could be run at Route 66 this time of year, or St.Louis, or Topeka...

rant over... sorry all:eek:

d'kid

I don't play "Follow the Leader":cool:

Seeing a Championship wrapped up by August is horrifically boring.

But also if it ever goes back to the "old way" I've said again and again, I'll not be upset in the least.

REX

How so? There are always tons of other stories to cover (upsets, rookies, new sponsors, first wins, drought ending wins and just plain old side by side racing) a lot of those are getting short shrift in the noise/reality TV that is the clowndown.

S/F
D

Last edited:
::: Drag Racing Online ::: Poll

Glendora's going to have their work cut out for them trying to spin these numbers. Even if some claim these numbers were primarily generaterd from hard core fans; the fact remains they are ugly. I think Mel Smith hit the nail on the head, what made the 05 Funny Car and 06 Top Fuel points battle special was that it didn't happen every year. In trying to manufacture a close finish they have completely watered down the meaning of the championship. They will have their close finish but the championship will have nowhere near the prestige it once did.

How so? There always tons of other stories to cover (upsets, rookies, new sponsors, first wins, drought ending wins and just plain old side by side racing) a lot of those are getting short shrift in the noise/reality TV that is the clowndown.

S/F
D

It is funny you use the term clowndown, the only clowns I see around here are those who continue to piss and moan about something they have no control over. Maybe you guys should fight for something that you may have a chance of changing such as world poverty.

Bullshit. If anyone but Fuller and Capps win the championship this year, they will NOT be the real "Champ". These are the guys in fuel that have won it so far. For Schumacher to go out first round TWELVE TIMES(!!!) and end up in the final 4 is a crock. :mad:

excellent post!!!!!!!!! it seems this fake countdown crap is playing right into dsr hand. 12 1st rd losses and you know thell probaby win the last 2 and win it all again :mad: if anyone but, fuller, capps and anderson win , its a farce!

::: Drag Racing Online ::: Poll

Glendora's going to have their work cut out for them trying to spin these numbers. Even if some claim these numbers were primarily generaterd from hard core fans.

You hit the nail on the head in my opinion, the Countdown is not really for the hardcore fans because if you are truly a hardcore fan you will watch the racing regardless of the point structure. The Countdown is all about creating excitement/entertainment and bringing in new fans/sponsors to the sport. You may not like this, but drag racing is a business and you must generate new ideas in an effort to grow the business to the next level. I have not heard where one person has stopped watching NHRA Drag Racing due to the Countdown.

It is funny you use the term clowndown, the only clowns I see around here are those who continue to piss and moan about something they have no control over. Maybe you guys should fight for something that you may have a chance of changing such as world poverty.
What's just as funny, Paul..is your adamant..along with maybe 3 others..counter to these clowns.

There are so many things wrong with the countdown..on so many levels. Maybe it will get tweaked..but to have 2 out of 10 that like it..has to mean something.

excellent post!!!!!!!!! it seems this fake countdown crap is playing right into dsr hand. 12 1st rd losses and you know thell probaby win the last 2 and win it all again :mad: if anyone but, fuller, capps and anderson win , its a farce!

I will ask you the same thing I asked Tom, what can you do about? All the teams knew the rules coming into the season and you can not blame a team for peaking at the right time. Would you like me to send you a box of Kleenex?

PS- Just in case you did not know, you can not do a damn thing about the Countdown so get use to it or stop watching.

I will ask you the same thing I asked Tom, what can you do about? All the teams knew the rules coming into the season and you can not blame a team for peaking at the right time. Would you like me to send you a box of Kleenex?

PS- Just in case you did not know, you can not do a damn thing about the Countdown so get use to it or stop watching.

Paul,

I not going to stop watching Drag Racing, and what's really funny, is that people I've finally got to start watching all have asked me the same question...

"Why is drag racing copying NASCAR's points system..."

Then they go on to say the best thing about Drag Racing is they don't have to wait 4 hours to see who wins a race, and when you lose, you're out...

one went so far as to say that NASCAR should drop the last five cars out every 20 laps or so.... so that by lap 100 there is only about 20 cars on the track... and by 3/4 of the way through, only the top ten cars should still be racing...

Heck, NASCAR did that and I might start watching again... :eek:

I do think that Glendora knows that the fan approval ratings for the countdown are in the toilet and that is why they are shoving it down our throats. It's just like in sales a good product will sell itself, they more the salesman tells you how good the product is, the more you have to wonder if it's really that good.

Not sure I agree, Jeff. Fuller and Capps, perhaps... but that Connolly dude is smokin' hot right now and just might have been the Schumacher comeback of the '07 season if we still had the old points system in place... I have nothing against Schumacher, Dixon, Pedregon, Hight or anyone else in the Countdown to one - and whoever wins will be the champion in my eyes because they will have won fair and square, by the rules established by the establishment.

But Paul, I respectfully disagree with you too. As the paying fans who support the sport we love, I'd like to think our voices will be heard. Maybe we won't aboloish the countdown system completely (though that's what I'd prefer), but I'd like to think we can have a say in making it better than it is now. Sure, there's been some outright whining with respect to the new system, but there has also been a lot of genuinely good and decent debate too. To lump everyone's opinions together is a travesty.

Lastly, I agree with whoever it was who said the thing that makes tight points races special, or used to anyway, was the fact that they are (read: were) rare... but they were never fabricated.

Funny, I thought this was a discussion forum, I didn't realize Pravda had moved in and decided what I could say or think.

D

Funny, I thought this was a discussion forum, I didn't realize Pravda had moved in and decided what I could say or think.

D

No one said you could not say what you think, but for the same people to say the same thing over and over again is old. I think this topic has been beaten to death since the Countdown was announced over a year ago. By the way some people are complaining about this you would think the world is coming to an end.

What's just as funny, Paul..is your adamant..along with maybe 3 others..counter to these clowns.

There are so many things wrong with the countdown..on so many levels. Maybe it will get tweaked..but to have 2 out of 10 that like it..has to mean something.

Yeah.........it's called a "bandwagon":cool:

REX

No one said you could not say what you think, but for the same people to say the same thing over and over again is old. I think this topic has been beaten to death since the Countdown was announced over a year ago. By the way some people are complaining about this you would think the world is coming to an end.

Yeah..........I heard on CNN that the Countdown was responsible for Global Warming....................

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back