Driving Force, so...what did you think? (1 Viewer)

Well, now, Laurie and the girls don't seem very dysfunctional to me. John's just in another world and their worlds just don't mesh. I think that's the show's premise, isn't it? The language seemed pretty mild to me unless you ive in a convent. It's not a children's show.

Wow. I have several thoughts about the show....
First off, as a life-long drag racing fan I LOVE the behind the scenes stuff. It is cool to see the nice cars and the nice houses, race shop, etc. John is a great American story the way he has built his business up to be so successful. So I love those aspects of the show.

I really think they edited it to make almost everyone seem unlikable and dysfunctional. I think they were going for the "Osborne" angle. When you realize how many hours of film there is you have to take the editing into consideration. I found myself thinking that their goal is probably to reveal more and more of each persons personality as the shows go on. A&E's business is producing TV shows so I am sure they have it all mapped out.

I found myself not liking John (overbearing, manic, hostile, clueless, etc...) some of the time and symphathizing with him some of the time (hard worker, provider, honest and um.... CLUELESS - lol).

I found myself feeling sorry for the girls too. They are just trying to be teenagers and their overbearing father is trying to bring them into a huge business that took HIM years to create. He wants them to "figure it out" at a very young age and somehow "decide" this is their career choice like their oldest sister. Heck my daughter is 21 and working full time AND going to college but STILL has no idea what she wants to do. These are hard decisions!

Then I found myself thinking, "C'mon you spoiled little brats! You are enjoying the rush of Super Comp but don't want ANY responsibility to help the business that is supporting that fun. GROW UP ALREADY!!" LOL

So, to me, the whole thing was like a roller coaster. Having watched John race for 30 years I am very fascinated by the whole show. I guess I really enjoyed it for what it was but certainly didn't expect some of it.

Of course I have it TiVo'd and won't miss an episode.....;)

What a great show . I think this is going to be one of my favorite shows. I have kids that age and can relate to what John does within his life. Run the business and try to get the rest to follow.

I see someone mentioned the cussing. Personally I didnt think anything about it and John has never said he was a preacher by any means. Now you know why he gets fined on TV all the time when he gets wound up. Personally I thought the show was great. Ofcourse John could throw me down a razor blade slide and make me land in a pool of alcohol and I would think it was awesome cause he did it. Whether you like him or not, he is the NHRA and the show can only be good for the sport.

Jerrod,

I was watching the show with George Santos and we were both laughing at the editing of the racing. Realizing the neophyte will never recognize the difference between most racetracks and knowing that something exciting doesn't happen at every race I will cut them some slack for trying to pump up the drama.

I thought the show was very well done and not as staged any of the other reality shows.

I just watched the Beginning again, looks like they showed John Racing at Pomona. Then they switched to Gainesville to show Ashley run, I wasn't sure when they made that transition. I agree with Jay, these shows are edited to the hilt. To give you as many angles of the family as Possible.

Boo Hoo....oh our troubles, our anguish, our pain! ....sniffle....:rolleyes:

(we see only what the editting wants to show of course, that's understood)

almost 16 hours later and I'm still shell shocked
Hit way to close to home
and I'm still going to watch next week

Here's one more thought I had watching it. I am not sure if anyone agrees or not. They seemed to portray Ashley as fairly new to driving and, sort of, still trying to decide what she wants to do with her life. I see her as a person with plenty of seat time and as a damn good dragster pilot already. That team has run great! Plus, her future seems pretty mapped out at least for the short term. I realize they are probably going to develop the story as we go but it just seemed like she got lumped in with the younger girls.

Also.... (and I'm just poking some fun here).... Who in the heck that is above the age of 10 does NOT know what the word ORIGINAL means!!!!!:eek: ;)

Boo Hoo....oh our troubles, our anguish, our pain! ....sniffle....:rolleyes:

(we see only what the editting wants to show of course, that's understood)
Come on Vetteracer!
Everybody knows how you feel about the Boss. Maybe this would be a good thread to avoid? I've always liked you and looked forward to seeing you at Pomona twice a year. Don't give me reason to change that.

well, I called my daughter (13) downstairs and got her off of IM/MYSPACE for an hour to watch it with me. she of course is a veteran reality show watcher at her age. There are more 'reality ' shows out there than I've ever heard of.
She enjoyed it too, she laughed, and she 'd never sit down for that long to watch a race.

I must say that I really don't think things are as bad there as the show makes them seem. At least I hope not jeez. My wife thinks I don't listen. HAH!

and as far as the swearing , ******* it what do you ****** expect from a guy who's been drag racing full time since the ****n seventies.... he said he used to be a truck driver right? well there you go.
he still is.

I want to know what made Ashley cry. The editing was strange. There 's no way that happened as quickly as they made it look.

probably some good onions. method acting you know?

and what's with the Jaguars ? I know Ford owns jaguar but man, you 're riding alone john, get a shelby mustang or a GT for crying out loud.

I guess drag racers dont' know how to work a clutch. At least Fuel drivers anyway....:D

and what's with the Jaguars ? I know Ford owns jaguar but man, you 're riding alone john, get a shelby mustang or a GT for crying out loud.

I guess drag racers dont' know how to work a clutch. At least Fuel drivers anyway....:D

LOL... "I have the dang clutch pedal smashed to the floor.... WHY AM I NOT MOVING???:)

The only things I didn't like were the ridiculous over dubs or sound effects. (i.e. the screeching tire sound when Ashley launched during the first episode and the wrong type of engine sound at the end of that run).

I thought I was watching the lead-in to OverHaulin' when I heard the tire screech.

Rinehart's voice-overs were pretty funny too. Especially the "Welcome race fans to final eliminations" or whatever it was.

Last edited:
Well sometimes [ with a 150 or so satellite channels] the repeating of shows over and over accomplishes its intended job.
Simply due to RERUNS of Driving Force tonight 930 pm and 1030 pm central I will get to stop lamenting and watch the shows.
Yep I will shut down all forms of communication and whoops, I forgot I can't shut down the satellite communications they will come looking for me for sure.
Alright I stand a 80 % chance of seeing both shows uninterrupted.
Works a B*$CH.

Also.... (and I'm just poking some fun here).... Who in the heck that is above the age of 10 does NOT know what the word ORIGINAL means!!!!!:eek: ;)
Yep, that was good one alright. I laughed hardest at the end of the 2nd episode when, after telling Britney (I think) that being a teacher was fine and he'd support it and they had a little "moment", he noticed the toe ring and went off, "What the **** do you need with a toe ring?!?!?"

well i didnt get to watch it cause i have to go to bed so early cause i drive truck and start work at a way too early hour ...but my son watched it and he said it was sad and made him want to cry??? my wife said the same thing!
guess i will have to watch tonight and see it!:D hope i dont cry:eek:

well i didnt get to watch it cause i have to go to bed so early cause i drive truck and start work at a way too early hour ...but my son watched it and he said it was sad and made him want to cry??? my wife said the same thing!
guess i will have to watch tonight and see it!:D hope i dont cry:eek:

Don't cry Terry.... It will all work out in future episodes!!! I promise. :D :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back