Driving Force (1 Viewer)

farmje

Nitro Member
I am a HUGE John Force fan, and a fan of the show Driving Force. But tonight's show, with them going to the funeral home was...weird. What did ya'll think?

He basically took his family to the funeral home and the whole show was about if something happened to him, what his family would do, etc.

They went and looked at caskets, went to the lawyers office to find out about writing a will. It was about the risk that's taken when folks drag race. John was making statements like, "this may be the last time I see you guys alive" (while they were at the funeral home) -- Ashley was bawling.

It was crazy.

my wife is a dental hygenist her office is in stamford ,ct where the offices of A And E are and one of her patients is a girl who works for A and e , and they always talk about driving force and john and what big fans we are of him and the show and the girl was saying that this episode was supposed to be the first episode of the year, but with what happened in gainesville they had to scramble to put it off . you can see the timeline was off so it made sense. im suprised they still decided to air it all toghter. it was a very wierd episode for sure.

That was really hard to watch, and I'm surprised they chose to air the episode this soon. It would have been the second or third show of the season, had it aired in sequence, and I was dreading it. It would have been weird to watch even before Eric's crash, and in light of what's happened this year, I didn't want to see it at all. :( It was far too real.

Dear Fans:

Please understand that tonight's episode was shot toward the end of the 2006 racing season. It's intention was to remind the loyal NHRA Powerade Drag Racing fans, and to inform the new ones, of the inherent risk faced by the drivers we support in this great sport.

Sincerely,
Brent Travers,
Executive Producer
DRIVING FORCE

Dear Fans:

Please understand that tonight's episode was shot toward the end of the 2006 racing season. It's intention was to remind the loyal NHRA Powerade Drag Racing fans, and to inform the new ones, of the inherent risk faced by the drivers we support in this great sport.

Sincerely,
Brent Travers,
Executive Producer
DRIVING FORCE

Brent,

As a fan, I wasn't upset at all about the episode. I love John Force Racing, and Driving Force. I wouldn't miss it for the world. It was just crazy that just that short time ago, John was talking about this -- and then we lost Eric. That's all I was saying. Nothing more.

Thanks for the work that you're doing with the show. I absolutely love it.

hmmm as I watched it I had assumed that it was a show from last year that they decided not to air but in light of Eric and how they will handle showing that in the next couple of weeks that this was a prelude to it.

I watched both episodes last night and both were excellent. I think there will be some awkward moments in the show until they get past Gainesville. In the second episode last night it was Ashley's first race(Winternats) and what went on during qualifying. There were also some scenes with Eric in it, which felt weird because you knew just a short time later we would tragically lose him. There was another scene where John Medlin was leading the team in prayer before the event. To me it showed the strong faith that he has which is probably aiding him right now.

while most people are uncomfortable with talk of death and funerals and funeral homes, this is just a part of life. No one is exempt. Doing it now, rather then later, may have been a good choice in that this episode will surely trigger emotions about Eric's death whenever it is shown, and maybe they felt better prepared for that reality now, rather then later. If that makes any sense....

Yes I found it a bit eerie/creepy too. I actually missed the visit to the funeral home, but saw the rest of it. I've also been picking up on some kind of foreshadowing/morbid vibe since the end of last season - weird.

Oh yeah and my wife says that Laurie REALLY needs to redecorate...:p

Brent,

As a fan, I wasn't upset at all about the episode. I love John Force Racing, and Driving Force. I wouldn't miss it for the world. It was just crazy that just that short time ago, John was talking about this -- and then we lost Eric. That's all I was saying. Nothing more.

Thanks for the work that you're doing with the show. I absolutely love it.

Jeremy, thank you for understanding. Everyone in this sport lost a piece of themselves when Eric passed. Those of us on the crew of Driving Force had the honor and privilege of having the time we had with him. He was someone who became a friend to all of us, always had a smile and a kind word to say and lit up a room the moment he walked in. The time we spent shooting the episode with him and his family in his hometown of Oakdale will be one of the highlights of my life.
Brent

Jeremy, thank you for understanding. Everyone in this sport lost a piece of themselves when Eric passed. Those of us on the crew of Driving Force had the honor and privilege of having the time we had with him. He was someone who became a friend to all of us, always had a smile and a kind word to say and lit up a room the moment he walked in. The time we spent shooting the episode with him and his family in his hometown of Oakdale will be one of the highlights of my life.
Brent

as always- thank you very much for posting brent. it means a lot to us, and especially a lot to us hardcore team force fans. driving force rules! rip eric

Is that Bill Stephens doing some of the voice over on the show? Maybe I’m just crazy but it sure sounds like Bill.

If it is…. It’s good to hear his voice talking about drag racing again.

Brian. :)

Is that Bill Stephens doing some of the voice over on the show? Maybe I’m just crazy but it sure sounds like Bill.

If it is…. It’s good to hear his voice talking about drag racing again.

Brian. :)

That sure is Bill Stephens! He's a great guy to work with and a total pro! We've been so fortunate to have Alan Reinhart, Bill Stephens and Bob Frey to work with...these guys know their stuff and make it fun. Reinhart is the man at the top end and there's nobody better...Frey lets us get him in action in the booth. ..the stories they have!
bt

Last edited:
That was really hard to watch, and I'm surprised they chose to air the episode this soon. It would have been the second or third show of the season, had it aired in sequence, and I was dreading it. It would have been weird to watch even before Eric's crash, and in light of what's happened this year, I didn't want to see it at all. :( It was far too real.

To all of the fans, please know as A&E has posted on their website, this entire second season of Driving Force is dedicated to the life of Eric Medlen.

I thought the episode was "bittersweet". While it was hard watching it, it really drove home the fact that death does happen, be it in a racecar or of natural occurrance.
I thought of Eric throughout the show alternating between happiness (seeing Eric on screen) and sadness (knowing that his family had to go through that funeral process). I was exhausted by the end of the show.

I've given this episode a lot of thought, and here's my take on it.

I think Eric laughed out loud at some parts of it. During the visit to the funeral home, I'm thinking he was just shaking his head and grinning about John and his decision to take the family there. Then LOL'd when Ashley says, 'See? Here's another example of how dysfunctional our family is', in the car on the way back.

Eric is ok folks. If your faith does not allow you to believe that, take whatever time you need to grieve, and then try to catch up with him, cuz he's movin' on, just as he did on this side of Eternity. His faith and that of his Dad's, can be an inspiration to all who knew him, or knew of him.

Because He lives, Eric also lives. His Dad knows that. I know that. Many, many people know that. And that is good.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back