Does it get any better than this? (1 Viewer)

I knew about the Surfers, but I don't think I ever saw the car in person. Was in USAF from 1964-68, about the time that car ran. Always amazed that these cars have survived & that peopl;e care enough to get them running again. I really, really want to see one of these cars make a pass.... cast iron hemi & 3 point roll cage. Oh yeah......

Cool to see the crew checking the temp of the block & heads by feel. Used to see that all the time. They new by touch when the engine was ready to go. Bring it to the line and "leg it and duck". heh
What did you in Air Force

OK, Twin Fans, this is the site for you. Includes Dye & Hampton "Two Bad", Fiat body w/ 2 blown SB Chevies. Saw that car ruin at San Fernando around 1962 (he raced The Tran) & was so impressed with that car. Ah yes.....

I remember the Paris Bros car when it ran Top Gas. Think it was the last year for the class, and the twins were starting to dominate. I think they ran this car on alky as a nostalgia car, a few years back. The twins were just so awesome. One year at Lions, maybe 1971, there was a Top Gas race. One of the cars that came was Moats & Williams, which was a terror in T/G then. Of course, also a number of SoCal twins. No way was I gonna miss that race! Wanted to see the first 6 second T/G time. Well, ended up being 2 single engined cars for the final race. Was bummed not to see a "6", but was still a cool race.

Jessee, my claim to fame in USAF is that I was stationed on 2 UFO bases. First one was Walker AFB in Roswell NM, where the UFO was supposed to have crashed in 1947. 2nd base was Malmstrom AFB, in Great Falls, Montana. I was on the missle sites there. If you go to Google & type in Malmstrom AFB UFO incident, it will give you the story; basically that a UFO hovered over the gate of 2 missle sites and electronically jammed the ability to launch the missles. This is like 1967 & if the story is true, ya gotta wonder what the UFO was & what technology was used. Was talking to a guy at Wild Horse one year & mentioned Malmstrom. First thing he asked was did I know about the UFO. arghhhh

Wow! So much info. I remember the car as the twin Ford version. Never knew it originally had a blown Chrysler, then injected Chrysler. How did it find it's way to Winslow, AZ? (BTW, Winslow now has a Walmart) And then to be re-born as a twin Chevy car. Man, so interesting! Is the car still running? There was a time around 1970, that twin Chevy T/F cars ran. Not too many, but they had 2 JR/F engines, would run around 7:10 ET's. Too slow, so they gave up on that type of car. Well, thanks for the video. Always love seeing stuff like this.

I've mentioned this before, but some of the best times I had at Lions was when they ran AA/FA, JR/F and Top Gas Dragster. 8 car fields, qualify in the afternoon & race at night. Not too many people in the stands, but the ones that were there got to see a great race. Man I loved watching those guys run! The cars that are now nostalgic were new then. Nanook, Mike Sullivan, Willy Borsch, and cars I can't remember any more. Top Gas greats like Roger Gates, Gas House Gang, Blacky Carbon. JR/F like Jimmy Ige in the Sons of the Rising Sun, Barry Kaplan Super K, Adams & Enriques. I wish I could remember all the names of those teams. Man, nothing better than to spend a Sat night at The Beach watching those 3 classes run.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back