PSM Parity (1 Viewer)

Paul

Staff member
Nitro Member
After qualifying yesterday the Harley's and the DSR Suzuki almost ran identical times and now in the 1st rd the DSR Suzuki outran the Buel and Harley's by 2 hundreths. It appears that all 3 brands are real close, but on Friday in Sonoma and in Denver 2 weeks ago the Harley's had them covered. Is this a scenario where the Harley's are making better runs on a consistent basis where the other brands are struggling with the consistency of their tune-up?

I suppose thats the million dollar question

Are the Harleys holding back a bit? Is this just a track or conditions that lean towards the others? Have the other bikes caught up some?

I think 1 race doesn't pose a trend yet. I think data on runs needs to be looked at over a multiple races and not just best times as off the top of my head I would guess the Harleys would lead that. Like you said though they also just may be more consistant so checking the spread of the times is important too.

Sandbags.jpg

September come soon mon....:D

on Friday in Sonoma and in Denver 2 weeks ago the Harley's had them covered. Is this a scenario where the Harley's are making better runs on a consistent basis where the other brands are struggling with the consistency of their tune-up?

The Harleys and Buells have an advantage at altitude due to the large difference in cubic inches, less air up there.

Obviously not enough parity since both Hardley's were in the final again. :rolleyes:

Obviously not enough parity since both Hardley's were in the final again. :rolleyes:

Brent, is it truly a horsepower advantage or is the Harley team putting a more consistent tune up in the bike? In Rd1 Smith had 2 hundredths on the Harley and Buel combo, but lost a ton of ET in the 2nd and 3rd rounds where the Harley's only lost a little bit of ET which is normal given the change in air conditions. I just think people are too quick to rush to judgment and say add weight to the Harley's when it could be they are actually on top of their tune-up and the other teams are not.

Well, our dsr team made the perfect pass 1st round... And some of the Harley guys did not... 2nd round the track was slick and we and everyone slowed but the Harley's.... They slowed but not what they should have... Then 3rd round the track was even slicker but WOW Hines improved.... Thats funny how the heat of the day and when they run someone that can run fast they turn it up.... But has anyone noticed that the last 2 races when the Harley's run the finals against each other they slow them right up.... We are running for 3rd place this year... This is the last thing that I will say on this til NHRA does something ..... I hope Andrew, Eddie, Bryon,Terry, and the whole Harley team are happy now cause ya'll are killing our class.... I know they are going to read this so make the bikes public like every other class has too...

There's a rule of thumb that says, "For any given displacement, and with all things being as equal as they can, the more cylinders an engine has, the more power it will make."

This is the rationale behind the 4-cylinder bikes having to pull more weight per cubic inch, than the 2-cylinder bikes, right?

I understand that much... and, NHRA's efforts to create parity between the two types of motors by requiring different weight breaks between the two.

What I do NOT understand (and, maybe someone who DOES, can explain it in such a way that I can understand it), is the contention that "bad air" hurts one engine design more than the other.

Why is that? They both have 4 valves per cylinder, (I assume), and horsepower production is all about cylinder-filling and BMEP, so why would a smaller engine with 4 cylinders, suffer more than a large one with two cylinders?

Anybody have a clue why this is true, IF indeed, it really IS true?

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I'm curious. Any information will be appreciated.

Bill

Last edited:
I think that nhra is getting there pockets filled by harley and that is reason nhra is looking or there shoulder. That new 4 valve head the got has gave them a bigger horsepower range over the psm class. I think nhra should add 20 more pounds of weight or have them go back to the 2 valve heads to make the class more fun to watch.The last three races have not been fun to watch. Nhra you look like a bunch of jackasses.

What I do NOT understand (and, maybe someone who DOES, can explain it in such a way that I can understand it), is the contention that "bad air" hurts one engine design more than the other.

Why is that? They both have 4 valves per cylinder, (I assume), and horsepower production is all about cylinder-filling and BMEP, so why would a smaller engine with 4 cylinders, suffer more than a large one with two cylinders?

The twins have more air to work with due to the larger displacement, it's that simple.

IMO, why aren't people talking about the great driving job that Eddie has been doing all year, and Andrew has as of late. Yes, their bikes are deadly consistent and fast, but the other bikes that are just as fast out there aren't helping themselves by redlighting and sleeping at the tree. NHRA will jump the gun yet again and add weight to them so that the others stop crying.

not knowing much about the bikes, i have to ask, if these Harley's have such an advantage, how come nobody else has attempted to build one. V & H have been the only team racing these bikes for about 4 or 5 years now, and i figure why not just resort to the ol' ' if ya cant beat'em, join'em ' theory ???

The twins have more air to work with due to the larger displacement, it's that simple.

Sort've...Injection (twins) vrs Carburetion (inlines) has been a factor also.

As interesting as sandbag statements are, they in reality are libelious, fact-less, not provable allegation.

Is the consensus the Harley's need to slow down, or the Suzuki's a boost?

I'm guessing as long as the separation is 5 hundredths the status will remain quo.

The landscape may look different if Hector wasn't consistently snatching defeat from the hands of victory also.

Last edited:
I don't think they will get anymore weight as long as a Suzuki is running quicker than they are.

IMO, why aren't people talking about the great driving job that Eddie has been doing all year, and Andrew has as of late. Yes, their bikes are deadly consistent and fast, but the other bikes that are just as fast out there aren't helping themselves by redlighting and sleeping at the tree. NHRA will jump the gun yet again and add weight to them so that the others stop crying.

This was where I was going with my post, it appears on paper the Harley's are much more consistent than the competitors. Matt said his run was perfect in rd 1, and his bike fell off in the later rounds due to track conditions. Could it be the V&H team is doing a better job reading the race track and tuning their bikes? I think that team deserves some credit for being consistent instead of saying they need more weight. With Matt running low et by 2 hundredths and Hector running with the Harley's, I don't see weight coming anytime soon.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back