Houston '08 psm champ matt smith eyes repeat (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]KING, N.C. (March 24, 2009) - Matt Smith, rider of the Nitro Fish Ultimate Gear Suzuki Pro Stock Motorcycle, is aiming to repeat his 2008 victorious performance at the NHRA Spring Nationals this weekend by winning his first national event for his new team, Don Schumacher Racing.

Smith started off the 2009 season qualifying No. 1 at the class' season-opener in Gainesville, Fla., and going to the final round. Although a loss of power on the Suzuki resulted in a runner-up finish, Smith, crew chief Steve Tartaglia and team owner Don Schumacher were encouraged by the results.

"Our approach for Houston is the same as it was for Gainesville," said Smith, the 2007 PSM champion. "We're going out there and try to qualify No. 1 and put this DSR Nitro Fish Suzuki in the winner's circle. We were close last race.”

As for what happened in Gainesville, "I talked to Steve last night and he said he didn't find anything really wrong with that motor,” he said. “We're just going to stick another one in and go full force from there.

"Houston's been a good track for me," added Smith, who was low qualifier in Houston back-to-back in 2007-2008. "I guess we'll wait and see how I run on the Suzuki there."

With one race under his belt riding a Suzuki for DSR this season after switching from a Buell, Smith thinks he's got the 'hang of it.' "It took me a pass or two to get used to the shift points because the Suzuki runs 4000 rpm higher. All in all, I think I've adjusted fairly quickly. I guess Gainesville kind of showed that, coming out and being the No. 1 qualifier.

"Our biggest goal right now is to go out and win. I think the learning curve is over, and Steve and I have to work together and make this bike as fast as we can and do as much as we can and see how soon we can win a race on it.

"Don seemed really excited after the race in Gainesville. I know Steve is really excited about what we've done in testing and the first race. So are (crew members) Tom (Patsis) and Jason (Jones). They had such big smiles on their faces. Being consistent on the tree and going rounds is what's going to lead this Nitro Fish Suzuki team to a win really soon and to run for the title this year."

MATT SMITH QUICK FACTS:
* No. 2 in PSM 2009 point standings, following runner-up finish in season opening Gainesville, Fla., event
* Was No. 1 qualifier in Gainesville
* Won 2007 PSM championship, winning four races in nine final rounds
* Was No. 1 seed in 2008 NHRA PSM playoffs, earning 20-point bonus
* No. 3 in 2008 PSM point standings
* Came close to claiming his second straight PSM crown in 2008 after leading the standings for the last six of seven events in the playoffs. A mechanical problem in the final event of the season dropped him to third
* Collected a career-high seven No. 1 qualifiers in 2008
* Qualified No. 1 in 2008 in Houston, won event
* Qualified No. 1 back-to-back in Houston in 2007-2008
* Debuted in the PSM class at Gatornationals in 2004
* Is the son of NHRA Pro Stock racer Rickie Smith
* Has 10 career national-event wins in 21 final rounds, and was low qualifier 15 times since joining the class on a limited basis in 2003
* Became a full-time competitor in the class in 2005
* Career round win-loss record is 106-65 in 82 national events
* Career-best elapsed time: 6.882 seconds (St. Louis 2008)
* Career-best seed: 194.04 mph (Houston 2006)
* Lives in King, N.C. - single - engaged to fellow PSM rider Angie McBride
* Born Nov. 11, 1972
* Son Tristan (9/12/96)

SCHEDULE:
FRIDAY, March 27 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 1:30 & 5 p.m. SATURDAY, March 28 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. SUNDAY, March 29 - Pre-race ceremonies, 10 a.m. FINAL ELIMINATIONS begin at 11 a.m.

TELEVISION:
Saturday, March 28, ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise one hour of qualifying highlights at 8 p.m. (ET).
Sunday, March 29, ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise NHRA Race Day, a 30-minute news magazine show, at 11a.m. (ET).
Sunday, March 29, ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise three hours and thirty minutes of coverage starting at 4:30 p.m. (ET).

SATELLITE (Analog feed):
Friday, March 27, 9 - 9:30 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical)
Saturday, March 28, 8 - 8:30p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical)
Sunday, March 29, 8 - 8:30 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical)
Video news release contains race action highlights each day and winners' interviews on Sunday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back