Psm points leader smith still looking for his first season win (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]KING, N.C. (April 28, 2009) - NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series Pro Stock Motorcycle points leader Matt Smith is still looking for his first class win of the season for his new team Don Schumacher Racing and sponsor Nitro Fish Ultimate Gear. He's hoping to repeat his 2007 NHRA Midwest Nationals victory at Gateway International Raceway at this weekend's event, the fourth of 17 for the PSM category.

Smith started the year strong, advancing to the final round in the season opener in Gainesville, Fla., after qualifying No. 1, then setting a national elapsed-time record at the second race in Houston before exiting in the semifinals. At the Atlanta race, he also lost in the semis. In each of those events he was en route to winning his first race for DSR and Nitro Fish and each time a mechanical/electrical glitch dashed his and crew chief Steve Tartaglia's hopes.

"I don't know if they figured out what happened in Atlanta," said Smith, the 2007 PSM champion, "but Steve and the team stripped everything off the bike including all the wire to the bare frame and they're rewiring everything and putting on all new components. So, hopefully that will fix everything because I don't think there is anything else to do besides rewiring the bike.

"Gateway is one of my favorite tracks to run on. In '07 I won the race and set the national record at that race and last year I got beat in the finals by Andrew Hines. So, this track just over the bridge from St. Louis has been a good race track for me.

"It's a little frustrating not to have won yet," said Smith, who has claimed 10 national-event victories in his career, "because I know we probably have THE best bike out there right now, considering we set the national record and we've been in the 6.80s (elapsed times) in the last few races. it's just frustrating to know that little bugs have kept us from winning a race. I think we'll be fine. We'll get all the bugs out eventually and we'll continue to be fast and winning our share of races.”

MATT SMITH QUICK FACTS:
* No. 1 in PSM 2009 point standings, following runner-up finish in season opening Gainesville, Fla., event, and semifinal finishes in Houston and Atlanta
* Is 40 points ahead of Andrew Hines
* Set national elapsed-time record in Houston 2009 of 6.865 seconds
* Was No. 1 qualifier in Gainesville 2009
* Qualified No. 1 at 2008 Gateway event, was runner-up to Andrew Hines
* Won 2007 PSM championship, winning four races in nine final rounds
* Was No. 1 seed in 2008 NHRA PSM playoffs, earning 20-point bonus
* No. 3 in 2008 PSM point standings
* Came close to claiming his second straight PSM crown in 2008 after leading the standings for the last six of seven events in the playoffs. A mechanical problem in the final event of the season dropped him to third
* Collected a career-high seven No. 1 qualifiers in 2008
* Debuted in the PSM class in Gainesville, Fla., in 2004
* Is the son of NHRA Pro Stock racer Rickie Smith
* Has 10 career national-event wins in 21 final rounds, and was low qualifier 15 times since joining the class on a limited basis in 2003
* Became a full-time competitor in the class in 2005
* Career round win-loss record is 110-67 in 84 national events
* Career-best elapsed time: 6.865 seconds (Houston 2009)
* Career-best seed: 194.63 mph (Atlanta 2009)
* Lives in King, N.C. - single - engaged to fellow PSM rider Angie McBride
* Born Nov. 11, 1972
* Son Tristan (9/12/96)

WEEKEND SCHEDULE:
FRIDAY, May 1 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, May 2 - PROFESSIONAL QUALIFYING SESSIONS at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
SUNDAY, May 3 - Pre-race ceremonies, 10 a.m. FINAL ELIMINATIONS begin at 11 a.m.

TELEVISION:
Saturday, May 2, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise two hours of qualifying coverage at 6 p.m. (ET).
Sunday May 3, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will air NHRA Race Day, at 11 a.m. (ET).
Sunday, May 3, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise three hours of final round eliminations at 7 p.m. (ET).

SATELLITE:
Friday, May 1, 10-10:30 p.m. (ET) - AMC 15 / Transponder 3K (11760 MHz, vertical)
Saturday, May 2, 8:30-9 p.m. (ET) - AMC 15 / Transponder 3K (11760 MHz, vertical)
Sunday, May 3, 7-7:30 p.m. (ET) - AMC 15 / Transponder 3K (11760 MHz, vertical)
Video news release contains race action highlights each day and winners’ interviews on Sunday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back