Kawasaki PSM program (1 Viewer)

Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member
Does anyone have any insight as to what the deal is with these guys? I watch and like the PSM's, but I don't really get into many details.

I was just wondering why they've had such a hard time getting up to speed. Is this program properly supported by Kawasaki themselves, or are they doing it out of their own pockets for the most part and just don't have the cash to get where they need to go? I also wondered why NHRA hasn't helped them out a little to get them there quicker? I mean, when there are parity issues between the bikes now, NHRA steps in, so why not in this case? Is it because the Kawasaki is similar enough to the Suzuki that it should run comparable?

Probably all dumb questions to the people who actually know, but I'm just curious.

Sean D

The Suzuki program is using an early 80's based motor that has been in use + refined since then. The cases (block) are stock but every part from the billet head to clutch + trans are purpose built for drag racing. The Muzzy/Kaw program is going off a current REAL motorcycle (not billet wonders like the $creaming Eagles)- everything they do is being invented as they go along.
Picture if Greg Anderson had to start with a real 2008 Pontiac + go from there-while everyone else stayed with whats been run for 20+ years.
I so want Rob + Ryan to succeed-it would be the only modern real vehicle in Pro stock.

Kawasaki Heavy Industries doesn't put a lot of their money into the powersports segment of their business. The bikes, ATV's etc... are something that Kawi does out of their "back garage" so to speak. They are a multi-faceted company and they are big into ship building, aircraft and construction equiptment just to name a couple. When a Honda or Suzuki motorcycle comes over from Japan, there is a good chance it was on a Kawi built ship. So in short, they don't live or die by the powersports market and don't dump tons of money into drag racing like HD does.

Where they have gotten so far is really amazing when you consider that they are using the most difficult platform anyone has ever tried to run in pro stock.

Jay

Where they have gotten so far is really amazing when you consider that they are using the most difficult platform anyone has ever tried to run in pro stock.

Jay

I guess that's what I was trying to get at earlier, because the Harley's didn't appear to have a good enough platform to compete with when they originally came out, but there seemed to be some accommodations made to get them in the ballgame quicker. Am I wrong on that?

Sean D

I understand that Kawasaki could have a pro stock motor built like Suzuki is doing, but chooses not to. They want to race only something based off of a motor they sell. They don't seem to under how pro stock racing in the USA is done.

Muzzy will do the best with what they have to work with.

I understand that Kawasaki could have a pro stock motor built like Suzuki is doing, but chooses not to. They want to race only something based off of a motor they sell. They don't seem to under how pro stock racing in the USA is done.

Muzzy will do the best with what they have to work with.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back