Crazy Rumor - I Hope It's True (1 Viewer)

I can't think of anything more extreme than 2 nitro cars side by side......

I can - how about 4 nitro cars side by side by side by side? :)

Not wanting to start a side-bar about 4-wides but love or hate it, 4 nitro cars launching at the same time is a sensory experience unlike any other.

I don't understand the desire people have for drag racing to be "bigger'
if it keeps going, more and more people will be priced out of even spectating, much less participating. Massive money doesn't make anything better. Ever.
Honestly I would love it if all the mega teams went away and there was something of a "reset". Maybe a normal hard working person could field a car now and then. I'm going to get tons of crap for this, but I don't care. That's how I see it.

if it keeps going, more and more people will be priced out of even spectating, much less participating. Massive money doesn't make anything better. Ever.
Honestly I would love it if all the mega teams went away and there was something of a "reset". Maybe a normal hard working person could field a car now and then. I'm going to get tons of crap for this, but I don't care. That's how I see it.
A lot of the people looking for growth have a financial interest through sponsorship, employment or ownership. I understand the need for money and fan interest to keep the sport alive but when something like NASCAR gets so mainstream it loses something special. I have had the best time at races when I was almost alone in the stands. I’m not a fan of huge crowds. If ticket prices get too high I just won’t go. Not because I can’t afford it. I certainly go less than I use to because of the overall cost. I made it to four races this year and have a couple I plan to attend before the end of the season. Just my lowly views and opinions.

For a first post, you make a great point about the rising costs.
However, there is not a motorsport in existence today that has not seen major increases in costs.
I just don’t see anything changing to go back to the days of single fuel pump, single mag, and two disc clutches as a way to get more racer participation in the Big Show.
That’s what the current nostalgia classes are for.
However, some of those increased costs can also be traced to major safety advances. If I never see the Safety Safari on the track again, except for track grooming, that will be just fine with me.
However, I am just a fan. The admission ticket prices really aren’t extreme. Compared to F1, NHRA’s ticket prices are downright cheap. Plus, you get access to the pits which, unlike F1 or NASCAR, puts you in direct contact with the teams and drivers.
What does bother me is paying $10 or more, for a greasy burger and fries, and $8 for a single beer.

Do you know how much help the mega teams provide for the smaller teams?

Drag racing absolutely deserves to be bigger. Steve Torrence was nominated for an ESPY and fans from the other series just brushed his resume to the side. That's infuriating to me.

What does bother me is paying $10 or more, for a greasy burger and fries, and $8 for a single beer.
That used to bother me as well until I started taking to others that are truly in the know. Parking and concessions is where the tracks make their money, especially during NHRA events. I do not believe there is a track owner that is making money hand over fist. I have no problem spending $40-$50 a day on food and beverage at a National Event if that means the track makes a profit and continues to operate as a drag strip. Most tracks charge food vendors a set amount like $1000 and then 40-50% of their sales. So something as simple as a pizza or burger which should be $6-8 is now $12-$16. Unfortunately it does price some people out from attending events .

Also the prices are real close to any other sporting event. The big difference between going to a NFL, NBA, MLB etc is their playing in most cases a publicly funded stadium that are owned by billionaires. Drag racing venues in most cases, are owned by local small business people.

I do prefer going to events that do let you bring food and drink in. I will bring in snacks and water to help reduce my cost but will almost always buy lunch and dinner if needed. It used to kill me to pay that much for food but once I got information on the costs of staying open vs. closing the track I’m happy to pitch in and spend a little more.

That used to bother me as well until I started taking to others that are truly in the know. Parking and concessions is where the tracks make their money, especially during NHRA events. I do not believe there is a track owner that is making money hand over fist. I have no problem spending $40-$50 a day on food and beverage at a National Event if that means the track makes a profit and continues to operate as a drag strip. Most tracks charge food vendors a set amount like $1000 and then 40-50% of their sales. So something as simple as a pizza or burger which should be $6-8 is now $12-$16. Unfortunately it does price some people out from attending events .

Also the prices are real close to any other sporting event. The big difference between going to a NFL, NBA, MLB etc is their playing in most cases a publicly funded stadium that are owned by billionaires. Drag racing venues in most cases, are owned by local small business people.

I do prefer going to events that do let you bring food and drink in. I will bring in snacks and water to help reduce my cost but will almost always buy lunch and dinner if needed. It used to kill me to pay that much for food but once I got information on the costs of staying open vs. closing the track I’m happy to pitch in and spend a little more.

I have to agree with you. NHRA is on the low end of entertainment. I spend at least the same if not more for tractor pulls, county fairs, local track etc. If you look at other events NHRA is reasonable.

Extreme? You mean 70 year olds hitting the gas for under 4 seconds is extreme?
You should strap in one and see if it feels extreme... I get your point, but I believe the elder statesmen driving these things have been doing it since they were much slower. Fortunately, there's a lot of younger drivers out there now and more working their way up.

Extreme? You mean 70 year olds hitting the gas for under 4 seconds is extreme?
i disagree, an extreme activity does not have an age prerequisite to be defined and yes a Nitro pass, only last for a few secs but standing on 10k HP throttle, going from 0 to 330 would have to be considered extreme, in my book. I consider skydiving an extreme activity however, the mental aspect aside and assuming you can stick the landing, its a piece of cake! (didn't Bush Sr, sky dive when he was in his 80's) In other words, i believe extreme is defined, not necessarily by the physical demand but the 'Risk that is involved'

Do you know how much help the mega teams provide for the smaller teams?

Drag racing absolutely deserves to be bigger. Steve Torrence was nominated for an ESPY and fans from the other series just brushed his resume to the side. That's infuriating to me.

I never said anything about "deserves" that's a different subject completely. I am genuinely curious though, as to what you see as the benefits of "bigger"

Had a 'new' fan ask why they don't run four 4-wides a year....at that moment I realized there may be a new generation

If Tulsa does get a much-rumored national event in 2023, I won’t mind paying whatever they charge for burgers and fries. To me, they are the best burgers I’ve eaten at any track.

Let's say you are going on elimination day (finals) and your ticket will cost 65 small and parking will be 15 small, and you will spend 8 hrs @ the track
Between the Nitro classes and Pro Stock, you will see:
30 brutal, exciting rounds of elimination
Plus motorcycles, (maybe) Pro mods, alcohol Dragsters and Funnies and a whole lot of other classes
You will spend time in the pits, meeting drivers and crews, and get some education by the announcers and crews
You will get to see a great trophy presentation and will be welcomed in the winners pit
Using my formula you will spend $10.00 an hour to watch the greatest most exciting sport on Earth, (plus food and water)
There is NO better value in ANY sport, than that

Let's say you are going on elimination day (finals) and your ticket will cost 65 small and parking will be 15 small, and you will spend 8 hrs @ the track
Between the Nitro classes and Pro Stock, you will see:
30 brutal, exciting rounds of elimination
Plus motorcycles, (maybe) Pro mods, alcohol Dragsters and Funnies and a whole lot of other classes
You will spend time in the pits, meeting drivers and crews, and get some education by the announcers and crews
You will get to see a great trophy presentation and will be welcomed in the winners pit
Using my formula you will spend $10.00 an hour to watch the greatest most exciting sport on Earth, (plus food and water)
There is NO better value in ANY sport, than that
Good post. When I hear what people pay to attend stick & ball sporting events, it blows my mind that people complain about NHRA ticket prices.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back