Coaches Top 25 preseason Poll (3 Viewers)

At least somebody has a worse championship system than NHRA - the BCS bowl system is indefensible, driven solely by greed. They will pick a champion somewhere between New Year's and the Super Bowl, and just about nobody will really care.

I was thinking maybe we could get PJ to start a petition about a playoff... ;)

Mizzou did kinda get the shaft but I wasn't too surprised by it. Since you can only have 2 teams in the BCS bowls from any one conference, the one-loss team got the nod. Thems the breaks. They still had an awesome season and it looks they may have some staying power.

I think I would've rather seen USC or Georgia get a shot at tOSU. I really dislike the home game advantage for all the marbles for anyone. I also lend no credence whatsoever to the "undefeated in regulation" crap. Overtime is part of the rulebook so a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

What I'd REALLY like to see is the Pac 10 and the Big Televen (and ACC?) add a team or two to their respective conferences and have an actual Conference Championship Game like the SEC, Big 12, etc. That would at least level the playing field as far as conference champions are concerned. Unfortunately the commissioners of those conferences don't seem to want to go there.

So, for now it's Boomer Sooner, beat the Mountaineers!

p.s. - North Texas, while terrible, is a Div. 1 school and didn't beat OU at home. :D

Just givin ya some crap Tom. :D

The conference championship or lack of causes a lot problems in the BCS. Nowhere does it say a team has to be conference champs yet a lot of the voters vote according to that fact which is absolutely wrong according to the format. I do agree it needs to be a level playing field.

The "undefeated in regulation" crap is politics, a stupid thing to say really... Thats what coaches have to do with this stupid system.

No different than Stoops saying 127 times that they beat the #1 team in the nation last night in the post game interview...

I'm with you Tom on all BCS conferences needing a championship game... That deal is a major advantage/disadvantage depending on where you sit...

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Of course I am very happy that LSU made it to the BCS championship. With the schedule they had I think they certainly qualify for the game. Now with that said the whole BCS selection process is a joke. No offense to Ohio fans but how they can just sit there and not play any games and still play for the BCSC is beyond me. First off if your gonna be in the BCS then I think you should play a conference championship game(IMHO). Now how in the HELL Mo. dropped out of the BCS games and Kansas got in I will never know.....Oh yeah I'm sorry I do know.....$$$$$$

Wow big weekend and all of it is crap.

I'm glad Miles isn't coming to Michigan now, watching him this weekend I see some of the negative things people have talked about him. He played the game well though, LSU is going to pay him a boat load of money to stay. Much more than Michigan ever would have. Plus he'll have his chance now in January to lose to the Buckeyes just like he would at Michigan (ok that was for you Teri and Vaughn :) )

BCS is a joke, hell it almost makes the countdown look good. That should be the new poll on espn which system is worse....but I digress.

Hawaii deserves to be in over Kansas if people are going to bring in schedule. ESPN was showing a stat and out of the 119 D1 schools. Kansas had something like the 109th easiest schedule. I was shocked to see that with them playing in the big 12. They do not deserve that spot over Missouri.

Conf championship games. When they started people complained that they were just another game for money. Not sure if they are needed or not but the rule should be the same across the board. Either every conf has one or they don't.

The championship game- I don't think either team is really that good, but it should be a decent game. I think Oklahoma is playing the best right now, and if not for the inijury that knocked their qb out of their loss a few weeks back they would be in the title game. USC or Georgia should be #2.

None of the matchups look that good. I was hoping for Hawaii to play Missouri or even Kansas.

The big ten is screwed. With OSU lucking their way into the championship game it moved everyone up a bowl. Illinois making it the Rose bowl is so wrong. If they stay within 21 points at the half I'll be surprised. I was really hoping Carr would get a nice game and a win to end his career but no, he gets the Heisman winner and a spread offense in Florida. I can only hope that the heismann curse lives on. Michigan State will get killed by Boston College. Texas A&M vs Penn state would have been great 25 years ago. Aggies should win.

Wisconins vs Tenn should actually be good and OK st vs Indiana might be alright. Central vs Purdue isn't even a gimme with central's qb being only the second qb ever (vince Young) to pass for 3000yrs and rish for 1000 in a season. Big ten will be lucky to get 3 wins.

Just givin ya some crap Tom. :D

The conference championship or lack of causes a lot problems in the BCS. Nowhere does it say a team has to be conference champs yet a lot of the voters vote according to that fact which is absolutely wrong according to the format. I do agree it needs to be a level playing field.

Yeah, I know... it's all good. I just couldn't let such an easy opening pass by without a response, lol! :D

On the Kansas / Mizzou thing, there really is no difference in $$ as far as the bowls themselves are concerned. There's a one share difference to each of the conference schools since the $$ are cut up to all the conference schools with the participating teams getting a double share. The Achille's heel for MU was the fact that they had 2 losses to KU's 1 and got throttled on Nat'l. TV.

This is easily going to be the most argued-about Champ game since OU and LSU in '03. After the regular B12 season in '03 OU was so far ahead of everybody else in the BCS ranking that all we heard from the talking heads for the week leading up to the B12CG was that OU didn't even have to win to get to the Sugar Bowl. Then we get beat up by KSU and those same pundits roasted us for still getting there.

With so many teams at 2 losses this year there's a lot arguments for at least 4 teams. In our case we lost twice on the road to unranked teams, although one was without our quarterback. But, at full speed as in this weekend we look pretty damn good, particularly in the 2nd half. It was really amazing to listen to the sports pundits make a case for OU this weekend. I, and most true Sooner fans, never expected to even be in the NC conversation this year. As far as I'm concerned this is all just bonus time!

In LSU's case they lost once on the road to a ranked team, once at home to an unranked team, although when they're best QB and other key players got knocked out of the game this weekend they still managed to win, although some would argue that was more Ainge's fault than LSU's play. No matter how you slice, they won... period, and that's what counts.

Thoug it pains me to say this, USC may well be playing better across the board than anyone else right now. They're all helathy, don't have any glaring deficiencies at any position, pretty good depth, and speed to burn. Their roasting of ASU at Tempe last week was more than just convincing.

VaTech - ummm, sorry guys. You get beat by 40 by another champ contender and you're out.

Georgia - These guys are playing lights out right now. They didn't win their conference... forgiveable. They didn't win their division (OK, they lost the tiebreaker)... unforgiveable. Maybe next year but this time, you're out.

I'm hoping to see a competitive game and while I think that tOSU is probably out-manned, I gotta give them the coaching edge. Home team advantage clearly goes to LSU as does depth chart and probably overall team speed. Bo Pelini's defection to the Bugeaters will be a distraction... I'm thinking that'll be the key to LSU's performance. As always, YMMV. :)

is Bo coaching lsu for the game or will be be gone to cornland by then?

Good Question, PJ--I'll see what I can find out up here and keep you posted--we are now at the mercy of the Great and Powerful Os for any info and man he really seems to be enjoying the power he has inherited. At least by picking Bo and not Turner Gill, the Head coach won't be a total Osborne puppet like Gill would have been

Thanksfully we have a month before the game is played because right now LSU is just beat up. I know a lot of folks get tired of hearing this but the SEC is just brutal right now. I have no way of knowing but I don't think Pellini will be coaching the championship game. He has too much going on with his new gig(recuritng etc) to worry about that.

Imagine how fun a playoff system would be this year. If they had an 8 or even 16 team playoff, I don't think it would be easy for anyone to predict right now, who would win the thing.

And I don't buy the bologna about school work interfering with a playoff system. Like OSU and LSU aren't going to practice for the next 51 days anyway. I believe a playoff system that worked in conjunction with the Bowl games, would make even more money than they are making now.

I am glad for Kansas, but after they got whomped on by Missouri, I can't believe they got a better Bowl game. Like the rest of this BcS crap, it just doesn't seem right.

The Rose Bowl people are IDIOTS! They are so wrapped up in a lame tradition, they overlook a marquee matchup? I hope one of the teams loses is down by 50 in the first quarter. And I don't care which one! Passing on a USC/Georgia matchup has to be one of the dumbest decisions ever.

Last but not least, I hope Michigan is down to Florida by 50 in the first quarter too. :D

Wow big weekend and all of it is crap.

I'm glad Miles isn't coming to Michigan now, watching him this weekend I see some of the negative things people have talked about him. He played the game well though, LSU is going to pay him a boat load of money to stay. Much more than Michigan ever would have. Plus he'll have his chance now in January to lose to the Buckeyes just like he would at Michigan (ok that was for you Teri and Vaughn :) )

BCS is a joke, hell it almost makes the countdown look good. That should be the new poll on espn which system is worse....but I digress.

Hawaii deserves to be in over Kansas if people are going to bring in schedule. ESPN was showing a stat and out of the 119 D1 schools. Kansas had something like the 109th easiest schedule. I was shocked to see that with them playing in the big 12. They do not deserve that spot over Missouri.

Conf championship games. When they started people complained that they were just another game for money. Not sure if they are needed or not but the rule should be the same across the board. Either every conf has one or they don't.

The championship game- I don't think either team is really that good, but it should be a decent game. I think Oklahoma is playing the best right now, and if not for the inijury that knocked their qb out of their loss a few weeks back they would be in the title game. USC or Georgia should be #2.

None of the matchups look that good. I was hoping for Hawaii to play Missouri or even Kansas.

The big ten is screwed. With OSU lucking their way into the championship game it moved everyone up a bowl. Illinois making it the Rose bowl is so wrong. If they stay within 21 points at the half I'll be surprised. I was really hoping Carr would get a nice game and a win to end his career but no, he gets the Heisman winner and a spread offense in Florida. I can only hope that the heismann curse lives on. Michigan State will get killed by Boston College. Texas A&M vs Penn state would have been great 25 years ago. Aggies should win.

Wisconins vs Tenn should actually be good and OK st vs Indiana might be alright. Central vs Purdue isn't even a gimme with central's qb being only the second qb ever (vince Young) to pass for 3000yrs and rish for 1000 in a season. Big ten will be lucky to get 3 wins.

PJ, The day Michigan introduces their next head coach is the day that I'll believe Miles isn't leaving. If memory serves me correctly, when he was at Oklahoma State, (the other OSU), he led everyone to believe that he was going to be there a long while, and then bolted to LSU as soon as the opportunity arose. I just don't trust what he is saying.

PJ, The day Michigan introduces their next head coach is the day that I'll believe Miles isn't leaving. If memory serves me correctly, when he was at Oklahoma State, (the other OSU), he led everyone to believe that he was going to be there a long while, and then bolted to LSU as soon as the opportunity arose. I just don't trust what he is saying.

but that worked out well for Ok St...cuz now THEY HAVE A MAN!!!!!

i hope i am not the only one who knows what i am talking about :eek:

an 8 team playoff would see

buckeyes vs kansas
lsu vs usc
va tech vs mizzou
ok vs georgia

16 team
buckeyes vs tenn
lsu vs clemson
va tech vs bc (part 3)
ok vs illinois
georgia vs florida
mizzou vs az state
usc vs hawaii
kansas vs west virginia

Randy you may be right. But I don't see him jumping before the championship game and I don't see Michigan waiting that long. There was already enough people against the hrie to begin with and after this weekend I don't see that changing

Vaughn- come on 50????? I'm not even gonna argue cuz well I fear you may be right. But as a true fan I gotta believe.

Hey everyone, I'm a Husker fan looking for teams to follow in the bowl circus since, ahem, the huskers will not be participating....( my God, even Ball State made it to a bowl this year!!!!!) so if anyone needs an interim fan, let me know1 By the way, in case you haven't noticed, Husker VB Rocks!

Tom, its good to see a passionate fan with the ability to be objective...

As I said before, we can't have it both ways... We can't complain about teams dropping too far after a loss or getting penalized for losing late AND say that whoever is playing the best at the end of year should be in a title game.

Personally, I take the "body of work" approach... I look at record, strength of schedule, quality of conference, wins vs ranked teams, and in this years case, "quality" losses...

an 8 team playoff would see

buckeyes vs kansas
lsu vs usc
va tech vs mizzou
ok vs georgia

16 team
buckeyes vs tenn
lsu vs clemson
va tech vs bc (part 3)
ok vs illinois
georgia vs florida
mizzou vs az state
usc vs hawaii
kansas vs west virginia

The 8 team playoff looks fun. But look at those 16 team matchups. That thing would rival the March Madness!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back