Burk pulls the plug on DRO series. (1 Viewer)

IMO this is a total shame. That the misinformed and uncomprehending can spout their uneducated misinformation on the internet to affect individuals/events who are putting an effort forth to give racers a place to run their cars. I have only attended 3 DRO events but I was able to see first hand the predicament that Jeff was involved with at his events. He brought a series to tracks but ultimately the track operators had the last say on what took place and when. Some examples of misinformation:

Pay cut before final round - 1 car in final did not qualify and was inserted as alternate so he gets no qualifying money only round money, just as it is always done. Team didn't understand so they complain and call it a pay cut on the internet.

Car inserted into field without an official timed run - been done forever by all associations if the car made an attempt, just inserted at the bottom with a n/t. Just an effort to improve the show and give a team an opportunity.

Official records are recognized at the end of events, not during so that only one is set per event for each category. A real idiot/computer racer has a profanity laced tirade on the internet over Jeff not announcing to the world in the middle of an event that a team has set a new record even though it was only provisional at the time. And he becomes deadly silent the next day as the event finishes up and the world can see how stupid he was.

I have seen ladders adjusted by the tracks to minimize their payouts and Jeff is just the messenger. Sometimes Jeff and Jok need to adjust ladders in the staging lanes as teams cannot respond to the call to the lanes.

Guys agree at a driver's/track owner's meeting about the adjusted program because of lack of entries, then feel the announcer's banter to stir up the crowd supercedes the agreement in the meeting. People outside of team members who are not at the entire meeting report incomplete information and blame Jeff, who also was not at the entire meeting.

I would like to thank Jeff Burke for his efforts in putting on the DRO series. I agree the pay was not the best and there was confusion at times, but it had the possibility of growing into something big if everyone had pitched in and supported the program instead of the efforts to bring it down. But in reality it is only history repeating itself.

As a casual observer, I'm sorry to hear this but I think I understand. Whomever decides to steps up next to organize a series will have to think twice about how to run the program.

We run with the ANRA Series here in California and all races are at Famoso (in fact the 2016 race dates were announced yesterday). Why? Because ANRA rents the track and runs the program the way they wanted run, not the track. Any attempt to take this show to another track is met with resistance from these other track managers. They want to control the event and not leave it to the promoter.

With ANRA, the sportsman racers know what to expect and that is why they will get anywhere from 275 to 325 cars competing (depending on the time of year). The Heritage Series usually draws less than 150 cars. This has less to do with location and travel distance, but more about being treated fairly and knowing what to expect once they go through the gates.

As the saying goes, "You cannot serve two masters." In these cases, the series promoter and track management.

I actually feel for Jeff. That just sucks.

And the anonymity (or not) of posting bullshit to try and ruin a series is well...bullshit.

Between Virgil's and Gino's posts..it's just a sad deal.

Glad you deal is working out, Gino.

Just read Mr. Burk's "Notes" on DRO and he confesses that the main reason for calling the series was due to lack of participation with no growth expected for next year. Nevertheless Mr. Williams, you're right it is a sad deal for those who tried to make it work.

Much of what drives the success of http://anra.com/ is how it is ran for everyone.There is no favoritism for faster classes, pitting is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Payouts for wins comes from the price of the tech card and not the gate fee, organization membership fee, or buy in. In short, your not going to win much, but it doesn't cost much to go racing.

Everyone pays the same $15 per day ($30 for the weekend including Friday), get 2 qualifying attempts with a make-up round at the end of Saturday and an All-Run Sunday. You will not see big name sponsors at ANRA. Racers like us offer our services at discount prices and some others donate products or money for the season opening BBQ and awards ceremony.

Mr. Larry Luna of QuarterMile Productions donates his time and equipment to offer live track side viewing on the internet for those who can't make it to the track. So yes, we feel lucky to have a good thing going and hope to keep it going for many years to come.

Finally something that works for everyone concerned, great job Gino and all thats involved.

I deserve none of the credit, Butch Headrick the owner of ANRA deserves it all. He knows who his customers are and knows how to satisfy them. He'll never oversell something, but delivers what is wanted.

Sure ANRA has some critics. Some say he pockets money rather that offer more payouts. I say he doesn't pay himself and his staff enough and thinks he should his rates. But he won't. Some complain that he doesn't allow faster cars at his events. But if he did, it would mean an increase in insurance fees and less track time for his existing racers/customers. Some complain (who are outsiders) that there are very few spectators in the stands. I say who cares, the racers are his customers and anyone else (more show up after each event) are those who enjoy the racing on planing on going racing at some point in the future.

It also helps to have track management that support ANRA. John and Blake Blowser enjoy what the ANRA brings to their track. I just wish some other tracks would give the ANRA a chance.

DSC_0372 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back