1/4 mile or 1/8???? (1 Viewer)

Iowa has a nice 1/8 mile track at Eddyville..very nice facility.

We went to the AA/FA Nationals there and if you don't think running a 3.94 going through the traps sideways isn't fun to watch..well..don't go.

George/Tom Hoover were there for an exhibition years ago and they just loved it..

I miss the Hoovers..what a class act.

For those of you who think 1/8 mile racing is a bore you need to go check it out. It puts alot more emphasis on the driver as you have to be right on the tree every round. As to comparing them with a fuel car race it's no comparison but in my opinion a Top Fueler and a Funny Car aren't real cars, I would pay the same amount of money to watch a down south Quick 8 race with guys like Rickie Smith, Ronnie Hood, Charles Carpenter, etc etc as watching John Force or Tony Schumacher make a bunch of damn noise on the 1/4 mile. I guess you had to be there, for us southern boys thats where it's at on those 1/8 mile strips. When George Howard held his first big money 10.5 aoout Clay Millican was supposed to race Tony Schumacher but scheduling conflicts prevented it, Clay still went and ran well and he wasn't complaining.

Before you say you don't like 1/8 mile, go see a real show first. Come on down to Kennedale, TX this weekend, if you still don't like it, then so be it!!

I really like it when some of the hot dog 1/4 milers come to Kennedale for some of the big $$$ races, and get their asses handed to them 1st rd.:D :cool:

Or any other 1/8th mile facility for that matter. Ya can't help but laugh at 'em. They usually get mad and say what a crappy track it is and that they are never coming back.

Justin,
Let me know if you are gonna make it to Kennedale.

Greg, I am going to try. I will let you know by Friday. I want to come but the rest of my family is at the IHRA Bracket Finals in San Antonio this weekend and I cant find anybody to go with me or anybody to hitch a ride with either. I am trying. If not, I might just go by myself. Will let you know.

Justin

i think the whole deal behind the 1/8 mile racing is to allow the local guys to run their stuff all out and still drive home. seems to me that past the launch(driveshaft,tranny,rear), most of the engine failure is past the 1/8 mark. So it sounds great for racers that can't really afford to compete at nhra levels. We have an 1/8 at Houston Motorsports park and they put on a heck of a show. I still go to Baytown and Ennis for NHRA though.

I'm looking forward to trying the 1/8 mile tracks. My car actually does better in the 1/8th than the 1/4. Next year, we're going to try a few 1/8 mile races.

Before you say you don't like 1/8 mile, go see a real show first. Come on down to Kennedale, TX this weekend, if you still don't like it, then so be it!!

So True...
The weather looks like it is going to be nice and cool so if they stay in the groove they should put some nice numbers on the board..:)

I will look for you Tom.

You have solved YOUR whole problem then.:rolleyes:
Don't watch them or go to them.
I really like it when some of the hot dog 1/4 milers come to Kennedale for some of the big $$$ races, and get their asses handed to them 1st rd.:D :cool:

Wow, I never thought I'd ever hear Drag racer's referred to as Hot dog 1/4 milers by other drag racers! Guess this sport is more fractured than I ever thought!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I race 1/8 mile heads up and it is quite exciting. I agree with what some others have said if you think 1/8 is boring go see a good outlaw 10.5 race. Hell I was in Huntsville last year when Millican won the 100k and if anyone thought that was boring you could have fooled me........stands were packed standing room only and everyone seemed not to be disappointed.

Wow, I never thought I'd ever hear Drag racer's referred to as Hot dog 1/4 milers by other drag racers! Guess this sport is more fractured than I ever thought!:rolleyes:

Just saying, some racer shows up with his/her $100.000 s/c dragster with the BIG $$$ toter-home and trailer, and gets his/her hat handed to him 1st rd by a little BLUE 64 nova.:D :D

without even looking it up, chuck etchells ran the first 4 and jim epler the first 300. right?

1/8 is half a drag race. I wouldn't get out of bed to watch one.

Eighth mile racing is primarily a southeast thing since a lot of the tracks are 1/8 mile. Running an 1/8 mile race on a smooth 1/4 mile track with plenty of shutdown area is really silly IMHO.

This is actually done at VMP for the top class in their bracket program. They tried this year to go back to 1/4 mile but apparently a few years of 1/8 mile racing produces a lot of cars which can't make it 1/4 mile without serious problems. I have heard all types of reasons why people want to run 1/8 mile but the long and the short of it is usually the cars can't make it down the track due to deficiencies in their design and build.

I've raced on both and I really prefer 1/4 mile,in fact I hate racing 1/8th mile tracks!! It's a lot more fun going 117 than 90.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back