1000 Foot Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

The question will become would you rather have 1000 foot drag racing or have 80% nitro cars with overdrive limits. I wish that things could remain as they are, but that likely won't be practical in the near future. I always try to watch the races near the 1000 foot mark, always felt that is where the action is, and I guess I could get used to that being the finish line. I am not sure I could get used to the nitro cars not sounding like nitro cars.:(

BTW, I am white, and several years and many budweisers ago I could dunk very well when I was in college.:)

I'm not sure how big of a change it would be for the fuel cars, but I don't want to watch pro stock cars run 1/8 pro 1000'., and that my favorite cars to watch. I for one would not go to a national event as a spectator if they did that

A 1000 foot track wouldn't detract from the show, at least from the fan's perspective. The nitro cars would still be going 300+ mph.

I thought I'd hate watching Pro cars run an eighth-mile, but after seeing it live in San Antonio, I didn't hate it. It was actually pretty cool to watch. That said, I don't think making all events with Pro cars in them eighth-mile events would be desirable, or necessary. But, I would have no problem with it if the finish line was moved to the 1000-foot mark.

The NHRA adopting a shorter track would be akin to the NFL adopting the same format as Arena Football. It would still be football, for sure. But it wouldn't be the same.

Leave it a 1/4 mile,is 1,000 foot even worth it? I watched the IHRA race for an 1/8 mile and that was booooring.

Sandy...What was that PM and link you sent me today about putting delay boxes on Nitro cars? :D

KIDDING!!!!!! ;)

(talk about starting sh!t....:p )

As stated above, lets just run a 330' track. Then everyone could watch the run and the shut off.

Think of the savings: No need for chutes, front brakes on funny cars, expensive carbon fiber brakes, costly wings and airfoils, etc. There would be plenty of room for the shut off. Don't need a sand trap any more. Spectators would be able to watch the weigh-in and fuel check procedures as well as the top end interviews.

Oh yeah. Lets change now.
(Who comes up with these ideas?)

A 1000 foot track wouldn't detract from the show, at least from the fan's perspective. The nitro cars would still be going 300+ mph.
But, I would have no problem with it if the finish line was moved to the 1000-foot mark.
We have run my T/F cars on both 1/8 mile , and 1000' , also a F/C on the 1/8 , for me, standing on the starting line the 1/8 mile wasn't bad, but when watching at haft track, I think it is too short. I was against the 1000' back in the 80's when Wally Parks was trying to sell it, but now (07), I think that a 1000' track is a good solution to several current "problems".

Bob is right on the "still 300 mph race cars" , :eek:
PLUS no rev-limiter, and back to 95% NITRO & the sound !, and with still enough distance to go "one to one " on the clutch.
Move the timing clocks to 125' (60), 250' (330), 500' (660) , 750' (1000), & 1000 (1320). This would allow new records to be set for each track , and help to forget the old speeds.

I have been a member of the Indy pit side "1000' club" both as as fuel burner in the '70s ,'80s ,& '90s , and now as a cacklefest car owner geezer , with a 1000' finish line I guess the show really wouldn't change for us "club" members ? :)

We have run my T/F cars on both 1/8 mile , and 1000' , also a F/C on the 1/8 , for me, standing on the starting line the 1/8 mile wasn't bad, but when watching at haft track, I think it is too short. I was against the 1000' back in the 80's when Wally Parks was trying to sell it, but now (07), I think that a 1000' track is a good solution to several current "problems".

Bob is right on the "still 300 mph race cars" , :eek:
PLUS no rev-limiter, and back to 95% NITRO & the sound !, and with still enough distance to go "one to one " on the clutch.
Move the timing clocks to 125' (60), 250' (330), 500' (660) , 750' (1000), & 1000 (1320). This would allow new records to be set for each track , and help to forget the old speeds.

I have been a member of the Indy pit side "1000' club" both as as fuel burner in the '70s ,'80s ,& '90s , and now as a cacklefest car owner geezer , with a 1000' finish line I guess the show really wouldn't change for us "club" members ? :)

It better follow with cheaper ticket prices! :p

Let's just run them all on chassis dynos in the pits and post their results until we finally sell off all the tracks. Then we can use K-Mart parking lots for our national events? Why risk the unsafe conditions actually driving these cars when there's so much that could go wrong? After this gets boring to the fans and the sanctioning bodies all fold, then we can all participate in virtual racing leagues on the internet where everybody with a computer gets in the action.

Think of how much we'll save in just hand cleaner alone?

Doc, I'm with you. Also, why change an important part of the sport for the classes with the least amount of participants? I think 1/8 mile racing has a place, but the answer to fuel car issues isn't to shorten the track. Like it's been said, shorten the tracks, and the crewchiefs will shorten the fuses. Then what? In 20 years we'll have the 60 foot Nationals.

It better follow with cheaper ticket prices! :p

I'm sorry to inform you that reducing prices are against NHRA policy. You are paying to "experience" NHRA Championship Drag Racing , not the length of track, or number of cars. Same great product just easier to see the finish line. :D

Don't forget to pay for parking too.

Sorry for the very late reply. Lots of posts about TF/FC, not one about the sportsman idea. I think he is spot on with the sportsman racing. Of course it will never happen for one reason only, all the money the manfactures have tied up in the electronics. Just implementing heads up racing in the sportsman classes (no matter how it is done) would go a long way in saving and improving the show. Just think what heads up sprotsman racing would do for the local tracks.....:D

Earl

Heads up racing turns into pocket book racing, thats why I'm against it. The little man cant compete.

Since SO many think 1/8 is soo much safer than 1/4 mile, I'm curious how many racers have been killed at 1/8 mile events? Was there ever a crucade to shorten the track to 330'? Something to think about, afterall we can't have racers risking they're lives like this!:rolleyes:

Andy,

IMHO heads up racing is the best thing in the world because it is racing pure and simple. Lets face it, SC, SG, Bracket racing takes a lot of skill, one heck of a consistant car, but most of it is stripe racing. The only people that seem to like it is the racers, it seems to me most fans don't much like it.

Joe,

All racing is pocket book racing to some extent. So your not spending money on electronics, but buying better heads... Heck, everyone has trick parts today if your running below 10 sec. The cost could be controlled. Put the driver back in the car, take away the buttons, encourage innovation, and take away the cheating that we all know is going on with the boxes. Talk about pocket book racing, there are getting to be lots of 180MPH SC cars.

I know bracket racing saved local race tracks, but I think it is time to consider another approach to bring back the excitement. Not to mention the fun of dreaming up a new combo and building it. Most of the Super classes are cookie cutter cars. If nothing comes of it, I think the discusson is good, and dialog can't be bad.:)

Earl

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back