1000 Foot Impressions (1 Viewer)

It is the tracks fault.

I don't see it that way. These tracks were fine 20 years ago (and earlier) and have not changed one inch since they were built. The cars got faster.... they are what changed, not the tracks. If the cars are now too fast for the tracks why shouldn't they be changed again? (slowed down) I have to imagine it would be much cheaper to buy pistons with a different pin height on the next order than it would be to fight city counsels and already pissed off neighbors, buy more land and pave a longer track. Wouldn't it? It's not like the teams are never going to order pistons again and they probably already own the blower/crank pulley combination needed to slow the blower down to the required overdrive percentage.

Hey, if you like 1000 feet racing thats great, more power to you. I think it sucks and I'd be willing to accept a Nitro car running 2-3 tenths slower on a quarter mile pass just so the track could return to 1320 feet.

I'm not trying to force anyone to agree with me..... I'm just explaining my view on things. Either way.... it doesn't matter what any of us think, it's between the NHRA and the pros who burn nitro. Like I said earlier in a previous post, the rumor going around the pro pits in Brainerd was they would be back to 1320 in 2009.

Last edited:
John - if you were the owner of a track that couldn't be expanded, what would you do? Bruton has reportedly spent 60 million to build zMax Dragway on land that he already controlled! Do you walk away and try to convince lenders or investors that building a new facility 30 to 50 miles from a metro area to run races in a series that has major problems is a good idea?
If that doesn't happen (and it won't) does NHRA just cancel races at tracks that don't meet a standard?
BTW . . . there is no new technology allowed in fuel racing - improvements in materials (i.e. billet blowers) have reached the limit of the rules.
NASCAR, Formula 1 and IRL were all forced to slow cars for safety - that is the only option if NHRA is going to survive.

No new technology? Almost every team gets better every year with A.J. leading the pack. Technology is not only parts. Point A to point B as quick as you can and still get stopped by point C. That is the crew chief and the drivers job. If the tracks can not improve then you have to play with what you have. Just do not make the pro cars bracket cars.

I don't see it that way. These tracks were fine 20 years ago (and earlier) and have not changed one inch since they were built. The cars got faster.... they are what changed, not the tracks. If the cars are now too fast for the tracks why shouldn't they be changed again? (slowed down) I have to imagine it would be much cheaper to buy pistons with a different pin height on the next order than it would be to fight city counsels and already pissed off neighbors, buy more land and pave a longer track. Wouldn't it? It's not like the teams are never going to order pistons again and they probably already own the blower/crank pulley combination needed to slow the blower down to the required overdrive percentage.

Hey, if you like 1000 feet racing thats great, more power to you. I think it sucks and I'd be willing to accept a Nitro car running 2-3 tenths slower on a quarter mile pass just so the track could return to 1320 feet.

I'm not trying to force anyone to agree with me..... I'm just explaining my view on things. Either way.... it doesn't matter what any of us think, it's between the NHRA and the pros who burn nitro. Like I said earlier in a previous post, the rumor going around the pro pits in Brainerd was they would be back to 1320 in 2009.

I would rather have 1320 also. The problem still is the tracks have not kept up with the times.

lets look at it this way.

20 years ago, 5.1 at 280-285 was a great T/F run, didn't Joe and Tim call it Ludicrous Speed (Spaceballs) depending on where floppers were about .4 behind and some were running close the T/F speeds... and even then, cars were ending up in the sand... okay, mostly columbus but still...

40 to 45 years ago when some the tracks were built, AA/FD's went from 6.7 to 6.1... floppers from 7.9 to 6.7

slow the cars down .2 to .3 nope... ain't enough, minimum would be to top alky times, which (Shock) are what Nitro cars were running 20 years ago. Any time your running the Speed at 660 feet that you were running at 1320 20 years earlier there are more issues to look at than just track length.

d'kid

I think they should do as they did in the past. Outlaw nitro !!! that way we can see what they can come up . Twin engine dragsters, IVO barnstormer, 4 engine showboat .....

my worst fears is that an announcement will come any day now that 1000ft. will be put in place for all of next year and beyond. as a spectator anything shorter than a quarter mile just doesn't appeal to me, its just to brief and less entertaining. because of the 1000ft rule, i'm gonna miss attending at least one national event a year for only the second time since '73 and some people take the attitude that if u dont like it than good riddance and dont let the door knob hit ya .......... etc, but u have to remember the drag racing audience is not all that big compared to alot of other sports and alienating some existing fans is not gonna help things at all

my worst fears is that an announcement will come any day now that 1000ft. will be put in place for all of next year and beyond. as a spectator anything shorter than a quarter mile just doesn't appeal to me, its just to brief and less entertaining. because of the 1000ft rule, i'm gonna miss attending at least one national event a year for only the second time since '73 and some people take the attitude that if u dont like it than good riddance and dont let the door knob hit ya .......... etc, but u have to remember the drag racing audience is not all that big compared to alot of other sports and alienating some existing fans is not gonna help things at all

I have a feeling you are right about 1000' next year. Other than individual track owners like Billy Meyer who have made additional safety changes we haven't really heard squat out of NHRA about what they have been doing. It's quiet. Too quiet.

I, too, hate the 1000' racing. That "extra" 320 feet go by in .7 seconds, so not much help to the drivers. I want the 1320 back ASAP. Oh yeah, don't slow the cars down either.

Fix the damn tracks ! Go back to 1320 on the tracks with safe shutdown areas....race to 1000 on the tracks that don't ...and tell them to improve their facilities or lose the event ! I'll be in Indy this Saturday to watch the 1000 ft.disgrace....but I'm never going again until things return to sanity.This used to be the greatest motor sport on earth and it breaks my heart to see all the ridiculous changes and gross overreactions by the clowns at the top !I never want to see a driver hurt or killed but racing is a dangerous business...and it always will be unless nitro is banned and the NHRA goes soapbox derby racing !

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back