1000 Foot Impressions (1 Viewer)

Billy

Nitro Member
So I got exposed to the 1000-foot drag racing at Maple Grove and I must admit, I was not a big fan of it. Eliminations were fine enough, but the qualifying was a little strange with all the numbers so similar, you don't know how good a good run is versus a not-so-great run. Obviously the numbers tell the story, but the degree to which a 3.95 is good when someone else is running a 3.87 is not as easy to tell for the same gap (for example a 4.67 timeslip vs. a 4.60 time slip on a hot day, I can appreciate the .07 seconds difference vs. not really in the former example). I have been going to the races for 30 years so I have a bit of history built up in analyzing how good a run is in a particular session.

I much more enjoyed the alcohol classes running on the 1/4-mile than the nitro classes.

I hope they return to a 1/4-mile in 2009, even with slower elapsed times.

So I got exposed to the 1000-foot drag racing at Maple Grove and I must admit, I was not a big fan of it. Eliminations were fine enough, but the qualifying was a little strange with all the numbers so similar, you don't know how good a good run is versus a not-so-great run. Obviously the numbers tell the story, but the degree to which a 3.95 is good when someone else is running a 3.87 is not as easy to tell for the same gap (for example a 4.67 timeslip vs. a 4.60 time slip on a hot day, I can appreciate the .07 seconds difference vs. not really in the former example). I have been going to the races for 30 years so I have a bit of history built up in analyzing how good a run is in a particular session.

I much more enjoyed the alcohol classes running on the 1/4-mile than the nitro classes.

I hope they return to a 1/4-mile in 2009, even with slower elapsed times.

I saw 1000 foot racing in Brainerd and thought it sucked! I would like to see the NHRA slow the cars down and return the track to 1320 feet. It's not the tracks fault, they didn't get shorter...... the cars got faster. Slow the cars back down and fix the root of the problem.

The rumor I heard going around the pits in Brainerd was that they would be back to 1320 next year. I guess we'll find out at the Winternationals.

I am not sure if it is the countdown stuff, or the 1000 foot, or what- but I stopped watching the qualifying and elimination shows. Haven't missed them even one bit. I may go to Pomona for the finals, but I think I am done with watching the TV stuff.

Saw 1,000 ft for the first time at Seattle. Sunday wasn`t too bad because it was still raceday...first one to the stripe wins, but I thought Fri and Sat weren`t nearly as exciting. Had a couple beers Fri night with Reinhart and Joe and we discussed 1,000 ft for quite awhile. I`m not a big fan of it and it`s one of the reasons I`m skipping Vegas2. I`ll go to the Finals but it`s not the same racing imo. Hopefully they do what they`ve got to do safetywise with these cars and NHRA goes back to 1,320 next year...if not, then I might only make about three races next year.

Last edited:
I had tickets to both Charlotte and Vegas. I gave away the Charlotte tickets and sold the ones for Vegas. I will not go to another race that is limited to 1000ft. So the Gators that I went to this may be my last.

After seeing it at Infineon I really regret that I already have my tickets to Vegas2.
Pro Stock and the alcohol cars running the full 1320 were very enjoyable but normally I would not go to Vegas for them.

I was against 1000 feet when it was announced and have tried hard to get used to it, and it's just not happening. I skipped Maple Grove mainly because of the 1000 feet, my favorite place to stand is at the top end along the fence and I just can't get excited about early shut off runs. During Brainerd I was on the phone during the telecast, prior to 1K my phone could ring off the hook and I would never answer it if a race was on. Hopefully they can come up with a reasonable solution and return to 1320 feet in 2009.

I had tickets to both Charlotte and Vegas. I gave away the Charlotte tickets and sold the ones for Vegas. I will not go to another race that is limited to 1000ft. So the Gators that I went to this may be my last.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing, I didn't buy race tickets but I already bought plane tickets. I'm canceling CLT altogether and I'm going to the Grand Canyon the weekend of Vegas.

While I can hardly tell the difference on TV, I sure can in person. Brainerd was my first live 1000 footer, and I'll go to Indy as well. Mark my words, sometime after Pomona 2, Compton and Co. will say something along the lines of, "Our racers, fans and sponsors have universally embraced 1000-foot drag racing, so we've decided to switch permanently".:mad:

While I can hardly tell the difference on TV, I sure can in person. Brainerd was my first live 1000 footer, and I'll go to Indy as well. Mark my words, sometime after Pomona 2, Compton and Co. will say something along the lines of, "Our racers, fans and sponsors have universally embraced 1000-foot drag racing, so we've decided to switch permanently".:mad:

You left out the part where they give themselves a big pay raise for this idea.

While I can hardly tell the difference on TV, I sure can in person.

I feel the same way.

I was at Norwalk for the last 1320' race, then back there a few weeks later for the Night Under Fire event where they raced to 1000'. I didn't like the 1000' at all in person, but can't tell much difference on tv. Even though I can't tell a big difference on the telecast, I have found myself a lot less interested in watching. I now miss telecasts, and don't care.

I won't be going to any more events that are 1000'.

it's spilled milk - they go 330mph @ 4.50 sec. on 30-50 year old tracks.
a) slowem' down - race to 1320
b) make EVERY effort to lengthen shutdown areas - buy the damn property
past end of strip if you have to......make a shutdown minimum....if you're
track doesn't or can't comply, you don't get a nat. event - simple.
c) put concrete barrier between lanes - we don't rub-n'-race so why risk
damage/injury to two cars/drivers when only one car is out of shape?

I'm kind of hoping this change, and the reaction of it, will get more people to watch the sportsman classes and not just head to pits.

the biggest problem with buying up more property to make the shut down longer is these tracks are boxed in. pamona is a perfect example, what do you do.personally i think indy should be 1320. i don't think i've ever seen a car get by the trap. anyway does this mean we'll see the 1000' club back at indy next week. it's been afew years since we seen them there.

the biggest problem with buying up more property to make the shut down longer is these tracks are boxed in. pamona is a perfect example, what do you do.personally i think indy should be 1320. i don't think i've ever seen a car get by the trap. anyway does this mean we'll see the 1000' club back at indy next week. it's been afew years since we seen them there.

Last time I remember anyone going into the trap at Indy, was Wayne Bailey... 95 I think? He did a fairly long burnout, and then the car just kept motoring on down the strip, then when he hit the sand trap, the engine didn't want to shut off....

Last time I remember anyone going into the trap at Indy, was Wayne Bailey... 95 I think? He did a fairly long burnout, and then the car just kept motoring on down the strip, then when he hit the sand trap, the engine didn't want to shut off....

That was on one of the "And They Walked Away" videos from the 90's.

I am not sure if it is the countdown stuff, or the 1000 foot, or what- but I stopped watching the qualifying and elimination shows. Haven't missed them even one bit. I may go to Pomona for the finals, but I think I am done with watching the TV stuff.

Wow, I thought it was just me. The closest event to me is about 6 hours away and I don't see going for 1000'. On the up side, I now have more free time for other things.

pretty much unanimous in this thread isn't it.

I wish I didn't have tickets to vegas 2 already. I haven't watched a race since Denver and I just don't care.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back