1/4 mile or 1/8???? (1 Viewer)

This guy has a guest column in DRO about this. He has determined that he enjoys 1/8 better than 1/4 mile. I've never seen one in person, but on TV it looks over before it starts! When they show those 1/8 Pro Mod races on IDR, it's like Green---1st gear---shift---parachute! Maybe it's a Southeast thing but it doesn't do anything for me!

http://www.dragracingonline.com/guestcolumn/viii_10-anderson-1.html

I'm with you Joe. There just seems to be something too short about the 1/8th.

I'm with both you guys on this...hell, a burnout is at least an 1/8th mile..ask Gilby or Force :D

T-Bone :D

You guys definitely need to check out an 1/8th mile pro mod race in person. It is still mainly here in the south, but the ADRL is bringing 1/8th mile outlaw racing to other parts of the country. I agree that it just doesn't work with fuel cars though.

There are different combos, but at least in our case all 4 gears are still used.

I actually prefer 1/8th mile races, and I know I'm not the only one!

We have a local 1/8 mile track.
It does good for a quick fix of slow street cars. :D

After watching 4.40's on 1/4 everything is slow. :D

I am all 1/4 mile mostly. However, the ADRL puts on a helluva show even if its 1/8 mile. Hopefully I will be able to make the ADRL World Finals this weekend at Kennedale. However, I would still rather seeing them trying to break into the 5's instead of the 3's.

Last edited:
1/8 Mile is good for regional races with slow street cars.

Anything quicker than 8.90 should be on a 1/4 mile.

As Joe said, with the Pro Mods its over too soon.

Here in Nebraska, we are exclusively 1/4 Mile (with our one dragstrip in the state), but Iowa and Missouri have a large number of 1/8 mile tracks. I race an mid 8 sec car (on the 1/4 mile), but the 1/8 mile racing is fun for reasonably fast cars also. Most of the 1/8 mile racing in IA and MO is night racing which is great, and it is really quick, but having to make decisions that fast is a real challenge. I really have no preference one over the other--it's all racing and all good. Just wanted to chirp in here with the 1/8 mile outlook from a moderately quick car point of view

For the guys down here, the 1/8 mile races allow a LOT more guys to run competitively, without nearly as much engine carnage. Also, it puts a greater responsibility on the drivers to cut good lights.

To race 1/8th mile on a track capable of handling a TOP FUEL cars 1/4 mile pass is a waste of a dragstrip.. I'm more than willing to race 1/8th mile on an 1/8th mile track.. 1,000' tracks are even better..

Like I told the Local track owner. When I see the NHRA make John Force race 1/8th mile for a championship then I'll give up my fight to keep Tulsa Raceway Park a 1/4 mile track...

John,

I agree completely that 1/4 mile facilities should be used as 1/4 mile facilities. It is my understanding that a large number of the 1/8 mile facilities in central US are 1/8 mile out of necessity because of lack of real estate, etc. Also, for night racing, it's much cheaper to light an 1/8 mile facility than a 1/4 mile one. Like I said, it's all racing and all good.

A lot of typical responses from non-racers...

1/8th mile racing is a blast! The competition is very tight and it makes reactions times that much more critical.

From a sportsman racer perspective you have to be so much tighter in your whole game.

Plus, the highest pay-days in our sport are from 1/8th mile racing... and not from the over-bloated egos of NHRA either!!

1/8 mile is a BORE !! In north TEXAS the only 1/4 mile track is the Motorplex and they run the faster cars 1/8 mile !!!! The only time they run the 1/4 mile is the Divisional and National events.So I don't even bother going to local races anymore.
Kennedale,Denton,Paris,Wichita Falls and Caddo Mills are all 1/8 mile...it sucks.

1/8 mile is a BORE !! In north TEXAS the only 1/4 mile track is the Motorplex and they run the faster cars 1/8 mile !!!! The only time they run the 1/4 mile is the Divisional and National events.So I don't even bother going to local races anymore.
Kennedale,Denton,Paris,Wichita Falls and Caddo Mills are all 1/8 mile...it sucks.

You have solved YOUR whole problem then.:rolleyes:
Don't watch them or go to them.
I really like it when some of the hot dog 1/4 milers come to Kennedale for some of the big $$$ races, and get their asses handed to them 1st rd.:D :cool:

If 1/8 mile is what ya got, then go for it.
I have driven the 1/8th mile deal and it is no fun for me. No fun at all. I don't mind watching a good 1/8th mile race. And the outlaw pro mod deals are quite cool. But if I had the choice, I would take the 1/4 every day of every week. In fact, I would probably race another type of racing if 1/8th is all there was. Just no fun.
Just my opinion.

I enjoy both types of tracks. We started out on the 1/4 mile venue at Ennis and at the now defunct Hallsville track, but when the Royce City 1/8 mile track opened a few years ago, the experience was a nice change. More runs, the launch does not change, the 60 ft. is still there and after a number of runs, you have the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile ET/mph multiplier down pat so you know what you will run at Ennis, etc.

For shear racing excitement, go out to a local 1/8 mile track where there might be a King Of The Hill test and tune session and then the race day. I can guarantee that you will see some serious racing. Sure, these guys are geared specifically for the 1/8, but the launches and the end results occurring a short time later down the track will be plenty entertaining.

Now I do agree a TF run will be over before you know it, but for 4.5 to 5 sec 1/8 mile cars, the action is plenty and entertaining.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back