1000 Foot Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

the answer to fuel car issues isn't to shorten the track , , , the crew chiefs will shorten the fuses.

What then , is the answer to fuel car issues ?

I've been tuning Nitro engines since the '60s , I always wondered, how do you "shorten" the fuse ? :confused:
They go faster burning Nitro than eating aluminum ! ;)

Let's also make baseball a triangle with three bases, football 80 yards long & run a 90 Meter dash. Heck, while we are at it, let's have 6 day weeks, 45 minute lunch hours, 3 period basketball & football (Lakers still couldn't win,) 8 month gestation periods, and eleven inch rulers while we're at it.
Can you see my passion for the quarter-mile?

great answer...love it.

I can't see spectators lining both sides of the track at a "National" from the1/8th mile on, which translates into fewer spectators. Why is it no one has mentioned how many races are won in the last 1/8th mile and sometimes in the last 200-300' feet? I am a quarter mile maniac.

Late....................Mitch
that's the most important point about this subject. pedalfests will be over. there will be no point. you're up in smoke ? you're done. Dont get back on it hoping your opponent loses traction later, or breaks.

no and I doubt I ever will. I go to see nitro ,where cars run for guys who want cars to go fast, and we don't have any time for 'characters' around here if you know what I mean......

apologies if you haven't seen 'it's a wonderful life'

I 'm talking nitro . maybe 1/8 mile pro mod shows are great , but i'm talking nhra powerade drag racing and 22 events a year I watch on tv.

Let's also make baseball a triangle with three bases, football 80 yards long & run a 90 Meter dash. Heck, while we are at it, let's have 6 day weeks, 45 minute lunch hours, 3 period basketball & football (Lakers still couldn't win,) 8 month gestation periods, and eleven inch rulers while we're at it.
Can you see my passion for the quarter-mile?

I have to agree 100% with what Bobby said!

Baseball should be seven innings, all football players should be under 250 pounds, work weeks are 5 days, many lunch breaks are 30 minutes, Basketball players should be under 6'-3'' in height , babies are born at eight months, a yard stick is shorter than a meter, and gasoline is cheaper than Nitro. :rolleyes:

All passionate 1320 fans should donate 10 % of their income to non -sponsored Nitro teams to help them run the last 320 feet. :)

Anybody have a solution to help keep the rods out of the pan when the rev-limiter kicks in? :confused:

Justin,

The first time I saw a serious proposal to shorten the track to 1000' for safety reasons, the person making the proposal was a Top Fuel driver. I'd suggest he has a better perspective as to whether or not such a move would make the sport safer than you do.

Justin,

The first time I saw a serious proposal to shorten the track to 1000' for safety reasons, the person making the proposal was a Top Fuel driver. I'd suggest he has a better perspective as to whether or not such a move would make the sport safer than you do.

Bob I never said I have an answer to this deal or that I'm smarter than a driver but my opinion is the same whether I'm a fan or if I hit the lotto tomorrow and was a new top fuel driver the next day. The show is not as good fan wise. Safety reasons to me dont matter much between 300 mph to 330 mph. Thats only 30 mph and it may make a difference if your talking 40 mph to 70 mph but were talking 300mph to 330mph. Any wreck at that kind of speed is dangerous period.

As for being easier on parts, I dont believe it either. They will just change the tuneups and instead of grenading an engine at 1000ft it will happen at 660ft. Tragic accidents will still happen. Its par for the course.

I by no means have a solution to making the sport safer, I wish I did, but I know 1000ft drag racing is not the answer.

You can grenade a fuel engine on the starting line. Engine explosions aren't the safety concern that would be best addressed by a 1000' track. Tire failures would. The tires are where the difference between 300 mph vs 335 mph is significant.

Most people in the Fuel pits have told me that the first 300-400' of the track is harder on the Tires than the last 300'!

They could get damaged early and not come apart until the speed (rotational forces) at the end tears them apart too. It is probably the most stressed part of a fuel car.

Most people in the Fuel pits have told me that the first 300-400' of the track is harder on the Tires than the last 300'!

I agree Joe , but the load in the lights can continue the early damage. Look at the pictures in the lights. NHRA also uses too much track spray after half track ! IHRA the Nitro cars spin instead of chunk.

I'm all for 1320' with smaller & lower wings, and less blower speed (25 % max) so the belts stay on for 1320' instead of 1000'. Or when they smoke the tires.

Joe, you know me, you heard it before, ,
95% with one mag & NO (Fu*k*n) rev-limiters. :mad:
Let-um tune them again & remember the sound. !:D

Nitrohelper Services Worldwide :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back