What's the latest with LD? (1 Viewer)

Wouldn't that be "left first"? ;) :p ;)

Nat Dragster does show # of red lights when they do the big stats issues(end of year & mid-season?) but they aren't included in the left first stat. Easy to read/understand.

Wonder what's up with Skuza, errr, Dixon!!! :D

No, I don't think it's fair to count red lights as part of the left first stat I feel that the stat is only useful with a pair of 2 r/t's and nothing else. If there is a redlight section I could see that, but to just combine it into the stat I feel makes it impure. Just like when a driver gets a bye run, you can't credit that as a left first cause he couldn't leave 2nd. I don't feel the stat should award any automatic wins/losses so I believe it's never really counted and just shown seperately if the person doing the stat feels it's necessary. When there is an r/t tie, I just DQ the info, you can't declare a winner on a tie and 2 drivers should not both get a left first. Stats are only as meaningful and as useable as the statician makes it.

I am great with stats, but mine may not match National Dragster and for all I know they may 100%. There is no wrong way to do it, it's all up to what the statsician feels like counting and what they don't. It all comes down to what ND and other sources feel what qualifies as a stat and what I feel qualifies for a stat amd as long as the information is 100% correct, the parameters can be different and still be 100% factual. My book is unique, I wanted to make stats on my terms that still told the truth, but maybe in a slightly different way. Example: My parameters in a left first stat.

* All Left First Stats For All Drivers/Riders: Only A Pair Of Reaction Times Counted, Red-Light, Bye Run, Opponent Red-Light, Opponent Break, Or Tie, Did Not Count Toward Stat, 4 Wide Races Determined By Driver’s R/T Against Their Lane Opponent. (1-2, 3-4) In-depth Shootout Class Results Not Included, Non Point Races In Pro-Stock And Pro-Stock Motorcycle Count Toward Driver Stats, Top-Fuel And Funny Car Bonus Race Stats From Bristol Not Included, But Stats From ’97 And ‘98 Winston Invitational Did Count. *

Last edited:
* All Left First Stats For All Drivers/Riders: Only A Pair Of Reaction Times Counted, Red-Light, Bye Run, Opponent Red-Light, Opponent Break, Or Tie, Did Not Count Toward Stat, 4 Wide Races Determined By Driver’s R/T Against Their Lane Opponent. (1-2, 3-4) In-depth Shootout Class Results Not Included, Non Point Races In Pro-Stock And Pro-Stock Motorcycle Count Toward Driver Stats, Top-Fuel And Funny Car Bonus Race Stats From Bristol Not Included, But Stats From ’97 And ‘98 Winston Invitational Did Count. *

If it's done this way I agree.

If it's done this way I agree.

Me too, but I would still argue that stats don't always tell the whole story.

Example: Driver (a) qualified #1 and was quickest in all four rounds of qualifying by six hundredths, or more. When driver (a) races against the #16 qualified car he/she has absolutely no reason to push the tree and will likely leave second... especially when one considers that the #16 qualifier is very likely to push the tree.

Granted, I'm giving a basic scenario, but it's not that far fetched... especially if you go back 10 years or more. (Look at Force in the 90's.) And given the hefty advantage through four rounds of qualfying, one could argue that driver (a) never left first on that particular race day but still won the race (four rounds where the driver left second... or left first 0% of the time, but earned the Wally). If all you show is the "left first" stat without data to show won/loss vs. left first/left second, then it's an incomplete statistic.

Like I said, I don't hate statistics, but I don't always trust them either.

BTW, none of this has anything to do with where I think Larry may or may not end up, but it is a fun discussion.

I would think a clearer picture could be formed by a won/loss on the line stat. A holeshot win is just that, won on the line. A red light is a loss on the line, same end result as a holeshot loss, the driver's performance on the tree was the determining factor.

If you give a driver credit for leaving first 70% of the time with ten holeshot wins he looks like a hero. If the same driver had twelve red lights, then he really hurt the team more than he helped.

Quarterbacks get a completion % but they also compare TD's to INT's

Then if you really want to know how much the driver helped you need to count wins after a holeshot. If you win RD 1 on a holeshot and lose RD 2 then you gained a round, but if you go on the win the race, thats four rounds gained by the one holeshot. Of course there's no way to determine how many rounds might have been won after a loss so how would you figure that in?

JMHO

Alan

Last edited:
I would think a clearer picture could be formed by a won/loss on the line stat. A holeshot win is just that won on the line. A red light is a loss on the line, same end result as a holeshot loss, the driver's performance on the tree was the determining factor.

If you give a driver credit for leaving first 70% of the time with ten holeshot wins he looks like a hero. If the same driver had twelve red lights, then he really hurt the team more than he helped.

Quarterbacks get a completion % but they also compare TD's to INT's

Then if you really want to know how much the driver helped you need to count wins after a holeshot. If you win RD 1 on a holeshot and lose RD 2 then you gained a round, but if you go on the win the race, thats four rounds gained by the one holeshot. Of course there's no way to determine how many rounds might have been won after a loss so how would you figure that in?

JMHO

Alan

I will PM you

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back