What's the latest with LD? (1 Viewer)

I was kinda thinking it may be because they took Larry's winning car and gave it to Del. Seems they never got his new car to run with his old one. Might have ticked him off.

I was kinda thinking it may be because they took Larry's winning car and gave it to Del. Seems they never got his new car to run with his old one. Might have ticked him off.

Could be. We will never know the deal behind that. You bring up a good point because I was always wondering what the idea was behind giving Del a chassis who was made for a driver that was still with the team. I don't think it mattered much tho, I think it was the magic recipe tuneup on the car vs. the actual car. I don't know if that chassis had a new driver compartment for Del and they took Larry's out, or if Larry really isn't particular over that.

That's similar to what I said in a previous thread. You can bet that all of the "A team" and equipment will be going to Balooshi in 2012.

That's similar to what I said in a previous thread. You can bet that all of the "A team" and equipment will be going to Balooshi in 2012.

That's what also makes me wonder and I don't think the answer can accurately be found. (unless AJR actually has the data and proof) Is it A equipment or the magic AJ Tuning Touch?

That's what also makes me wonder and I don't think the answer can accurately be found. (unless AJR actually has the data and proof) Is it A equipment or the magic AJ Tuning Touch?

AJ's tuning.

A lot of rich people have tried to win with the best equipment and were unsuccessful. It takes talent and parts.

Its been pretty clear for years. If I went and bought everything brand new, state of the art. Hell, I tell you what. AJ could sell me the exact turn key car that Del drove to the championship last year and if I drove it and tuned it, I'd never qualify much less win a race or championship. And even if I hired an experienced tuner I still wouldnt do what they did with it. I might win a race or two, but thats it.

Aslong as AJ is in top fuel, everyone else is running for 2nd. Fuel racing is all about the tuner and team working on the car. Driver, Owner, RT, etc after that.

Its been pretty clear for years. If I went and bought everything brand new, state of the art. Hell, I tell you what. AJ could sell me the exact turn key car that Del drove to the championship last year and if I drove it and tuned it, I'd never qualify much less win a race or championship. And even if I hired an experienced tuner I still wouldnt do what they did with it. I might win a race or two, but thats it.

Aslong as AJ is in top fuel, everyone else is running for 2nd. Fuel racing is all about the tuner and team working on the car. Driver, Owner, RT, etc after that.

Well said!

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if you took Austin Coil and had him tune a top fuel dragster and have AJ tune a nitro funny car for a year. Who would end up with the better record at the end of the season?

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if you took Austin Coil and had him tune a top fuel dragster and have AJ tune a nitro funny car for a year. Who would end up with the better record at the end of the season?

Well as far as my knowledge Austin Coil has never tuned a dragster, but in 2002 Alan Johnson did tune a funny car. It was I believe Gary Scelzi for the first 7 events and Bruce Sarver for the remainder. I'm pretty sure they never won, they did make it to a few finals. Whitecap was the sponsor and they would of finished a combined 5th if you took the points of both drivers. It was also Toyota's huge comeback into the class with the Celica.

It's easy to say AJ and dragsters are like peas and carrots, but that's probably due to his excessive work with the dragster, so the funny car with more time devoted to it, I bet he could become feared. Alan does not settle for 2nd, anything he tunes I would imagine he has an incredible work ethic to stay or become # 1.

Well as far as my knowledge Austin Coil has never tuned a dragster, but in 2002 Alan Johnson did tune a funny car. It was I believe Gary Scelzi for the first 7 events and Bruce Sarver for the remainder. I'm pretty sure they never won, they did make it to a few finals. Whitecap was the sponsor and they would of finished a combined 5th if you took the points of both drivers. It was also Toyota's huge comeback into the class with the Celica.

It's easy to say AJ and dragsters are like peas and carrots, but that's probably due to his excessive work with the dragster, so the funny car with more time devoted to it, I bet he could become feared. Alan does not settle for 2nd, anything he tunes I would imagine he has an incredible work ethic to stay or become # 1.

Don't forget Del driving Al-Anabi's flopper in '09 and '10. They won several races and made the Countdown ...

Don't forget Del driving Al-Anabi's flopper in '09 and '10. They won several races and made the Countdown ...

That is a fact, but it's unclear how much tuning AJ did between Brooks, Worsham, Venables And Rob C.

Bruce Sarver and AJ did share a race win together.

Not in 2002. As an owner AJ has many FC Wins, but it is unclear if he has any as a tuner. Sarver had his best years in FC with I want to say Richard Hogan and/or Keith Adams. If AJ tuned an FC in 00-01, it's new info to me

nationmaster.com results

Bruce Sarver (born January 11, 1962 - died November 10, 2005) was a NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car driver from 1996 to 2002. ... He switched to the Funny Car class in 2000 to join Foxen Canyon with Alan Johnson (the tuner) and Gary Scelzi. He opened the 2001 season with a win in Phoenix,

While I totally agree with this statement, I will also say that if JFR turns the reigns of their Top Fuel car over to Prock, that may very well change.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back