What's the latest with LD? (2 Viewers)

Michael; you may very well be correct about knowing what really happened. However with the Sheik pulling back on the PSMs last season, I think that money may very well have been key.

How much money did Langdon bring, and just where did he get it? Do you think he sold his S/C car?

Alan

How much money did Langdon bring, and just where did he get it? Do you think he sold his S/C car?

Alan

I don't think it was money. Larry was excellent on everything but he could not compete with Langdon, Massey, Brown, Worsham on the tree. I think that they wanted a driver that could buy some rounds that the car performance would not. 2009-2011 he never went above 50% left first and his best year was 2009 at 49.1%. 2010 was 39.3, 2011 was 46.4. The number do not lie as far as the stat. The reason behind the numbers may not be his fault, but the stat is what it is; unforgiving

This is the second time Langdon has mysteriously been given someone elses seat. He replaced Todd a few years ago, for some unexplained reason, and now Dixon. I can understand if the drivers he replaced wasn't getting the job done but both were very good.

I don't think it was money. Larry was excellent on everything but he could not compete with Langdon, Massey, Brown, Worsham on the tree. I think that they wanted a driver that could buy some rounds that the car performance would not. 2009-2011 he never went above 50% left first and his best year was 2009 at 49.1%. 2010 was 39.3, 2011 was 46.4. The number do not lie as far as the stat. The reason behind the numbers may not be his fault, but the stat is what it is; unforgiving

At risk of being drawn into this argument again, I will posit that besides the regular factors that cause a fuel car to react more slowly than other cars, and the variants in staging that can cause a "slow RT" ... the most important factor in LD's reaction times was he knew he had the baddest hot rod on the grounds so there was no reason to push the tree and risk a red light. No sense in throwing away the race when you have everyone covered by a several hundredths. AJs cars also seem more capable of getting down the track in all conditions, again taking some pressure off the driver at the starting line. So, your stats show that Larry got left on more than half the time, what was his ultimate round record? I bet it is wayyyy over 50%. Also, how many guys red lit against LD versus the mean average of the rest of the field. Again, I bet it's pretty high compared to the field.

Ask any crew chief of a top flight car what they want out of a driver, and they will say consistency. Same burnout, staging and driving every time. Let the car/tuneup do the work. You can continue to beat your reaction time drum, but I will take the guy like LD, who gets it done every time. Sure, you may steal a round off me now and then, but LD will win in the long run via sheer consistency, and it's not likely to be close.

Though I do not know any of the players involved or their reasons for parting company, I feel reasonably sure that AJ and LD's parting had nothing to do with RT's.

PS Have a good Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
At risk of being drawn into this argument again, I will posit that besides the regular factors that cause a fuel car to react more slowly than other cars, and the variants in staging that can cause a "slow RT" ... the most important factor in LD's reaction times was he knew he had the baddest hot rod on the grounds so there was no reason to push the tree and risk a red light. No sense in throwing away the race when you have everyone covered by a several hundredths. AJs cars also seem more capable of getting down the track in all conditions, again taking some pressure off the driver at the starting line. So, your stats show that Larry got left on more than half the time, what was his ultimate round record? I bet it is wayyyy over 50%. Also, how many guys red lit against LD versus the mean average of the rest of the field. Again, I bet it's pretty high compared to the field.

Ask any crew chief of a top flight car what they want out of a driver, and they will say consistency. Same burnout, staging and driving every time. Let the car/tuneup do the work. You can continue to beat your reaction time drum, but I will take the guy like LD, who gets it done every time. Sure, you may steal a round off me now and then, but LD will win in the long run via sheer consistency, and it's not likely to be close.

Though I do not know any of the players involved or their reasons for parting company, I feel reasonably sure that AJ and LD's parting had nothing to do with RT's.

Well said.
Merry Christmas to all

Alan

Not the way I was thinking Alan. I'm probably way off but my thinking is, as an employer looking for an employee, Larry is probably more expensive than Shawn. He has 3 championships & 62 national event wins. Shawn has yet to win 1 national event.

My thinking is that Larry would be paid more than Shawn. I don't think this is a "driver buying a seat" situation. & this is NOT a slam on Shawn!!!

I seem to recall that it was just a few months ago when a good portion of this board was be-moaning the fact that the Sheik pulled $$$ from Matt Smith & how this was the end of Al Anabi NHRA Racing!

JMHO!!!

Oh, & Alan, my sources tell me that Shawn gave Jessica his S/C car!!!
:D ;) :D

No arguement here what so ever. I am fully aware of the factors and as i explained it's a blind stat and it's unforgiving. It is what it is the number doesn't lie but the numbers dont ask for reasons so it's very very biased. I fully agree, when you have a hot rod faster than the field a majority of the time you dont need to press that hard. All I did was satisfy the stat, reasons for it take a back seat. His overall career he's 52.2% leaving first and anything better than 50% makes you pretty good, but as i said the stat is 1 sided, nothing I can do to fix that.

It's not that fair a stat due to all the factors outside of the driver that can throw the r/t, but all i can say is the stat is 100% accurate as unfair as it is since the stat only takes a look at if you left first or got left on and nothing more. No why, No what. Nothing but simply what the driver did on the tree and then sits on the driver's season and career resume, but everyone knows that the stat does not tell the whole story and I think it would be almost impossible to make a stat for leave firsts that accurately tell the story. Maybe that will come one day, but for this case, all I did is what the information lets you do.

Ha, that's never been much of an issue now has it?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:
I am going to have to agree with Michael and Nunzio, on that money was not the reason Larry is no longer with the team, after reading the article in the national dragster dated December 23rd on page 11.

Ha, that's never been much of an issue now has it?

Merry Christmas everyone!

I agree it's never been much of an issue in 2009, 2010 but 2011 and if 2012 is anything like 2011 was, R/T is once again going to come back to TF and I cant remember the last time it was such a factor. TF is starting to become a class where the top 5 (as we saw in 2011) are all very capable of the same E.T. at any given time and it's the first time I ever remember watching TF like that. So if 2011 was just a unique year, then r/t wont matter much, but if we have a tough possibly top 5-8 this year, (who knows what MLR performance will be) this class is going to be all about r/t because 2011 the top 5 were almost like spec cars, and guys with R/T won alot of rounds.

Personally, I'm watching out for Bob Vandergriff. Rob Flynn I feel could easily get this team up to usual 77 perfomance in good weather. Merry Christmas!

at risk of being drawn into this argument again, i will posit that besides the regular factors that cause a fuel car to react more slowly than other cars, and the variants in staging that can cause a "slow rt" ... The most important factor in ld's reaction times was he knew he had the baddest hot rod on the grounds so there was no reason to push the tree and risk a red light. No sense in throwing away the race when you have everyone covered by a several hundredths. Ajs cars also seem more capable of getting down the track in all conditions, again taking some pressure off the driver at the starting line. So, your stats show that larry got left on more than half the time, what was his ultimate round record? I bet it is wayyyy over 50%. Also, how many guys red lit against ld versus the mean average of the rest of the field. Again, i bet it's pretty high compared to the field.

Ask any crew chief of a top flight car what they want out of a driver, and they will say consistency. Same burnout, staging and driving every time. Let the car/tuneup do the work. You can continue to beat your reaction time drum, but i will take the guy like ld, who gets it done every time. Sure, you may steal a round off me now and then, but ld will win in the long run via sheer consistency, and it's not likely to be close.

Though i do not know any of the players involved or their reasons for parting company, i feel reasonably sure that aj and ld's parting had nothing to do with rt's.

Ps have a good christmas everyone.

exactly !!!!!!!

I would typically agree with everything you just wrote, however, according to my stat book, I just cannot right now.

I would typically agree with everything you just wrote, however, according to my stat book, I just cannot right now.

I typically agree with everything I write except for when I don't. :D

You guys are a couple of wise asses. All I did was show a stat the does not lie because the numbers do not lie. It's the circumstances behind the numbers that the stat never takes into account, there is no leave first stats that explains why a car has a slow rt, it's very straight line left first or got left on divided by the total and that's the percentage you get. I agree with the stat because it shows who reacted best. Is the stat unfair because it never tells the story of why a driver had a bad year on the tree be it the car, the tuneup, the throttle travel? Of course.

Nothing is wrong with my statement because it's one of the most looked at driver stats in drag racing and is very useful. It's bad because it does not allow any variable for why it was good or why was it bad and that's where real drag racing fans like us know that the leave first stat has so many unseen factors behind it instead of the shown good/bad light against your opponents. It's immature that you guys will make drama out of a drama free statement. I said nothing contradictive, it's a true stat that has so many unseen factors behind it. That's all. You moving on? I never once disagreed with you about this Chris. Justin, that's a flat out shot at me and I don't know what your problem is.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back