What would have happened? (1 Viewer)

ROCKY

Nitro Member
I don't know of anyone that isn't thankful John Force came out of his accident alive. But I have wondered what would have happened to drag racing if he had not. He is not the only driver out there but certainly seems to be the most popular. Sure it would have continued but how many fans would have faded away.
Since the passing of Dale Earnhardt I have trouble getting interested in a NASCAR race. How would it be without John? Not near as entertaining as it is with him. Like him or not he increases ratings by a large amount. John is NHRA's Dale Earnhardt. Go to the pits at a race and see where most of the fans are gathered?
As with Earnhardt he is a success story a working man can indentify with. A good old boy that made it big through hard work. He truly is a working man's hero and his fans are very dedicated to him. I am one.
It's true that all the drivers should get some exposure. But look at all the attention this accident has gotten just because it was John Force. How many more viewers does ESPN get because of John? I would say a bunch. That's why he gets the lions share of air time. Maybe some drivers have the sponsors they do because John ups ( No pun intended) the ratings.
Yes drag racing would have continued. But what would it have been like?

Your right, drag racing would have continued but I guarantee you the day John Force isint involved with drag racing anymore it wont ever be the same. I love drag racing but I listen to the audiocast from the national events now and the only reason I watch the tv show is to see John.

jay, i agree with you, but i'm also glad we don't have to find out
right now what drag racing would be without john.
he is truely an inspiration on & off the track, and i'm still
enjoying both.

John Force is just one of an estimated 30,000 drag racers out there tearing up the tracks of America. The Professional side might take a temporary hit but drag racing will continue on as normal.

I've never been a big fan of "what if" questions. They're not based in reality, and they don't accomplish anything.

John got through it, he's going to be fine, and that's what the most important thing is here as far as I'm concerned.

John Force is just one of an estimated 30,000 drag racers out there tearing up the tracks of America. The Professional side might take a temporary hit but drag racing will continue on as normal.

I profoundly disagree with you 100% Greg.

John Force is an icon. He's idolized by children, by adults, and by people who aren't even fans of the sport. John Force is drag racing. He encompasses good, and how the American Dream for people can still happen.

John is one of 30,000 racers...but you remove John Force from the NHRA and it's like the heart and soul being ripped out of the body. The body would still be there, but its life and vibrancy would be compromised significantly.

I have said it like this before: John Force is to the NHRA what Billy Graham is to Christianity. Someone who comes along once in a very long lifetime. One of those people that makes others better, and makes what they are involved with better.

Because of John Force, drag racing will never be the same, and on a personal note, I am a fan, and tell everyone I know to be fans because of John Force.

I hope John is around for a long time to come.

...but you remove John Force from the NHRA and it's like the heart and soul being ripped out of the body.
Jeremy, I thought you actually owned a race car? Sportsman racers are the heart and soul of drag racing. They are the ones that have paid the bills and kept the sport alive for over 50 years.

That's the problem with "fans"... they think the sport doesn't exist without the pros or NHRA.

Drag racing would continue to exist without the NHRA. Do you think the 29,920 other drag racers around the country would quit if John Force quit racing or NHRA did not exist. Do you have a clue how many dragstrips are operating around the country that John Force or other pro have never made a pass?

Last edited:
Let me say this...

No one is a bigger fan of John Force's than I am. But my appreciation of him has nothing to do with what he does on the track or in front of the cameras.

John Force is a racer's racer. He cares about the sport and those that compete.

He may be iconic but he is not the sport. NHRA might never be the same if he was to quit but drag racing would endure. Of course the same could have been said about Big Daddy in the 70's or 80's.

Let me say this...

No one is a bigger fan of John Force's than I am. But my appreciation of him has nothing to do with what he does on the track or in front of the cameras.

John Force is a racer's racer. He cares about the sport and those that compete.

He may be iconic but he is not the sport. NHRA might never be the same if he was to quit but drag racing would endure. Of course the same could have been said about Big Daddy in the 70's or 80's.

Greg, you are so right in a very tacky thread

John Mulligan
Russell James Liberman
Dickie Harrell
Lee Shepard
Should I go on?
Eric...

and let's not talk about all my HEROES that have passed away in the last two years...

I love Papa John, and all his kids.
Each loss hurts, we cry, but we carry on... we always have.

Thank GOD this time we didn't lose another.

I profoundly disagree with you 100% Greg.

John Force is an icon. He's idolized by children, by adults, and by people who aren't even fans of the sport. John Force is drag racing. He encompasses good, and how the American Dream for people can still happen.

John is one of 30,000 racers...but you remove John Force from the NHRA and it's like the heart and soul being ripped out of the body. The body would still be there, but its life and vibrancy would be compromised significantly.

I have said it like this before: John Force is to the NHRA what Billy Graham is to Christianity. Someone who comes along once in a very long lifetime. One of those people that makes others better, and makes what they are involved with better.

Because of John Force, drag racing will never be the same, and on a personal note, I am a fan, and tell everyone I know to be fans because of John Force.

I hope John is around for a long time to come.

Jeremy, while I agree John's the most popular driver out there. If this sport can't survive without him, Then this sport truly is on life support!

Let me say this...

No one is a bigger fan of John Force's than I am.

That is a very big statement. That's like me saying I'm the biggest Blaine Johnson fan, I'm sure there is someone out there who is a bigger fan.

The what if talk I don't like. Someone said to me "What if Blaine was still here today" My reply "Well I don't like to think of the what if, but he would nearly have if not more titles then Force. But I don't think of the what if's it only get's me bummed out

Mike

Last edited:
That is a very big statement. That's like me saying I'm the biggest Blaine Johnson fan, I'm sure there is someone out there who is a bigger fan.
Mike,

Note that I said "no one is a BIGGER fan". I didn't say I was the biggest... only on par with all the other very big fans of Force.

No one's saying NHRA would continue or that everyone would quit b/c that surely isint going to happen however NHRA would never be the same ever again.

The importance of the man is exhibited by the mere fact that this thread exists, and continues to exist. A bizarre and yes, tacky thread but here I am stating the obvious again. That said, I for one am glad to have been a fan during his reign.

Greg, you are so right in a very tacky thread

John Mulligan
Russell James Liberman
Dickie Harrell
Lee Shepard
Should I go on?
Eric...

and let's not talk about all my HEROES that have passed away in the last two years...

I love Papa John, and all his kids.
Each loss hurts, we cry, but we carry on... we always have.

Thank GOD this time we didn't lose another.

I think we have a winner here.....to say Drag Racing cannot survive without John Force really (in my opinion) shows a profound disrespect to the people who made it possible for John Force to develop this status just through drag racing. People like Jungle Jim, Raymond Beadle, Don Schumacher, Al Hanna, Chris Karamensines, Don Garlits, and (dare I say) my very own Grandfather Pat Minick....(shall i go on?)......we didnt lose John, so why not focus on what can come out of the fact that we had a driver survive this horrific incident? What innovations in safety can be accomplished now?? i say we focus on that :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back