What kind of job do you have? (1 Viewer)

For the past ten years I have been a stay at home Dad for my three girls, now ages 10,8, & 6. I prefer to call myself a homemaker...from my Mother's apron strings I pass. It has been the most rewarding and challenging job I have ever held. I changed 99.8% of the diapers, do the laundry, cooking, and the grocery shopping. I also manage a restaurant one day a week, so my wife gets a taste of what I actually do. She gets a big dose of reality every Thursday night! I also run a message board. That is a piece of cake compared to dealing with young children...but they do have their similarities.

I feel I have been blessed to be able to have been home with the girls. I cannot believe that it is coming to an end. Right now my youngest is in first grade, so it's back to the workforce for me. Currently I am also a substitute teacher at my children's school. It has been quite a riot so far, I will do it until I find the right job.

I am a retired GOV worker, last job as an Federal Aviation Maintenance Inspector. I now work for a consulting firm with lots of travel. Great job!

I am the Maintenance Purchasing Manager at one of the largest & oldest private air charter & maintenance facilities in the Western USA. We do private air charters, manage aircraft and do all phases of aircraft maintenance. We specialize in King Air, LearJet, Hawker, Challenger, Global Express & Citation Jet. We also operate the fixed-wing side of Flight For Life Colorado - the 1st air ambulance/med-evac company in the country. I've been in aviation forever. If anyone ever needs a charter quote, or your airplane needs service.... by all means contact me!

Last edited:
Pretty much have held only two jobs since high school. First one was as a commercial Alaskan salmon fisherman with my brother in law in Bristol Bay (Bering Sea) Alaska. Nothing better than to fish three months in the summer and then spend the other nine in Southern California. I got out of that industry after 13 summers, for various reasons (mainly the $$ got less and less every year from about `91 on). Met my wife in Cali, moved back to my hometown of Boise and started working for Verizon Wireless (it was Airtouch Cellular then) in 1998. Have held numerous positions there, all in the sales end of things....outside sales, retail sales, store manager, area manager, trainer etc. Now, I pretty much deal exclusively with business accounts...except this time of year when I`m going to plant my butt in some retail stores and get ready for the holidays. Nov and Dec are like shooting fish in a barrel!

Last edited:
I have spent the last 30 years helping people get up in the world. I am a vertical tranportation technician, also known as an elevator repairman. And if anybody on this board thinks that their job is bad, just remember, I get the shaft on the job 8 hours a day.:eek::eek:

Murdock.

I was curious as to what kind of work everyone does on the Mater.

I am a Collection Manager at a law firm in Downtown Fort Worth, Texas. This job entails collecting delinquent property taxes!!! Don't assume the worst when you read that! I help people!!! Now, when I can't help them anymore, then I auction the properties off on the courthouse steps the first Tuesday of each month.

I really enjoy my job. I have met so many wonderful people and have helped so many find ways to remedy their problem. I am the nicest tax collector you will ever meet!

Of course, as most of you know, I am a singer as well!

Tell me about what you do.

Thankee!

Great minds think alike Suzie! ;) :D

http://www.nitromater.com/lounge/2805-what-jobs-have-you-had.html

LOL, look how close to a year apart our threads are. Must be that time of year! :)

I work at Applied Materials building and testing machines that make computer chips. Very cool technology.

The weekend starts on Monday for me, old retired UAW-GM bastard.

Nice to see everyone's vocations. Thanks Suzie.

I'm personal Valet to somebody (sorry, I can't name names) with one of the pro race teams. I'm responsible for most of the routine maintenance around his house; coordination of contractors and workers; and I spend a great deal of time doing real estate research for him. I also handle most of the hospitality issues for his out-of-town guests. Every day is different, and no day is ever boring.

Last edited:
I'm a truck driver. I drive a gasoline tanker (27 years for the same company) The way people drive any more, when I get home at night, I have a feeling of accomplishment having survived the day with 11,500 gals of gasoline & still in one piece;)

Just stumbled on this - very cool thread! I have owned a printing business for 25 years. Started with a franchise and quickly got tired of paying royalties for nothing. We have a wide range of digital and offset equipment and can print/copy just about anything. Our motto is "If it's ink and paper, we can do it!"
Every day is different and we get to interact with a lot of really talented customers - that's the fun part. Downside? LOTS of very expensive equipment that requires constant maintenance and constant pressure to complete jobs on sometimes impossible deadlines.
The business has been very successful and I am proud of our capabilities and very talented staff. It's been an amazing run. Retirement is on the horizon - the goal is to attend a lot more drag races and Mater meetings!

Cool thread, Suzie.

I own A-R-T Automotive Repair in Castle Rock, Colorado. Quite frankly it's a business that I didn't dream of starting, it just happened. Automotive repair is a very tough business/industry. I started it in 2004, after quitting the new car dealerships after 8 years (Chrysler/Jeep). The man upstairs put me on this earth to help people, and fix their cars. I love my job!

I'm basically a 29 year old mechanic that aspires to race again. I raced on the local level for four years until 2003, and I want badly to do it again.

I build Chrysler racing transmissions under the banner of Andrews Racing Transmissions (this is where A-R-T comes from). My racing customer's are AWESOME.

I also own a website called ColoradoDragRacing.com, which I started to give our local Colorado racers an online forum to communicate their racing experiences, concerns, and ideas.

PS - I love MOPARS. Here's my old car:
barracuda022.jpg

I work at a call center answering phones for one of the nation's most recognizable computer support companies as a tech support rep.

Ditto.

I 've done IT work for 25 years all the way from I/O monkey work even using the old punch cards to administering large multi-user mainframes and client-server style unix installations. Keeping the system up was my last job. Nights weekends and holidays. As thankless a job you'll ever find. The next time you use an ATM at 11pm on a Saturday night to get some more cash for whatever,, thank your system/network administrator.

Now I get to answer phones and help our customers troubleshoot their issues. I like it much better. We have centers around the world so I get to log off at the end of the day .cool:

Cool thread, Suzie.

I own A-R-T Automotive Repair in Castle Rock, Colorado. Quite frankly it's a business that I didn't dream of starting, it just happened. Automotive repair is a very tough business/industry. I started it in 2004, after quitting the new car dealerships after 8 years (Chrysler/Jeep). The man upstairs put me on this earth to help people, and fix their cars. I love my job!

I'm basically a 29 year old mechanic that aspires to race again. I raced on the local level for four years until 2003, and I want badly to do it again.

I build Chrysler racing transmissions under the banner of Andrews Racing Transmissions (this is where A-R-T comes from). My racing customer's are AWESOME.

I also own a website called ColoradoDragRacing.com, which I started to give our local Colorado racers an online forum to communicate their racing experiences, concerns, and ideas.

PS - I love MOPARS. Here's my old car:
barracuda022.jpg

Just think Chris, alls you need is about $75,000 for a Westcott Hemi and you can run in the 8.60's!;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back