What kind of job do you have? (1 Viewer)

Thanks Jim!!!

I am soooo pleased with the Heil microphone! It has such a wonderful sound and it is gorgeous too!!!

Check out Jim's stuff, it is pretty dern awesome!!!:D

Heil Sound? I haven't used a piece of Heil Sound gear since about 1986 or so... 10-band graphic EQ if memory serves.

Yes sir!!! Jim was so kind to give me his demo model of the Heil Pink Pearl PR 20. Heil Sound Pro-Line Microphones - DX Store It is the best sounding microphone I have ever sang through. It has such a sexy tone! I highly recommend it. I am going to use it in the studio on some upcoming tracks that I am doing for my c.d.

Check out the dx store's link in Jims post.

Heil Sound? I haven't used a piece of Heil Sound gear since about 1986 or so... 10-band graphic EQ if memory serves.

Heil invented some pretty cool stuff in the early days of Rock and Roll. Like the Heil Talk Box and the quadraphonic mixer for the Who's Quadraphenia tour. Bob Heil is a hell of a great guy and a hoot to hang out with. Having toured with groups like the Who, Grateful Dead, Joe Walsh etc. the stories he can tell are a riot.

The new stuff is getting a lot of use in broadcasting, live performance and movies. They used the PR-40's on Letters From Iwo Jima (which won an Academy Award for sound) and Flags Of Our Fathers for the Cannons, guns etc. they would not self destruct from the pressure like most microphones will.

The pink one Suzie Q has is a special edition that benefits the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Selling this line I also get to meet some pretty cool people too.

Thanks Jim!!!

I am soooo pleased with the Heil microphone! It has such a wonderful sound and it is gorgeous too!!!

Check out Jim's stuff, it is pretty dern awesome!!!:D

Now all I have to do is head out to Texas and get a listen to one of your performances.

By the way who's head is getting pinched off in your avatar?

Now all I have to do is head out to Texas and get a listen to one of your performances.

By the way who's head is getting pinched off in your avatar?

I know it! We all need to meet in the middle of the US and have a big party, cook the food from the Mater Recipes section and my band can play!!!

That is a friend of mine that went to the Opera Ball with us. He was just needing some "Southern Comfort"!!!

I know it! We all need to meet in the middle of the US and have a big party, cook the food from the Mater Recipes section and my band can play!!!

That is a friend of mine that went to the Opera Ball with us. He was just needing some "Southern Comfort"!!!

A huge Mater potluck now that would be cool.

I've been a springmaker at a small spring manufacturing facility in northern Indiana for almost 19 years. I've been everywhere from low man on the totem pole, to Quality Manager, and now back on the floor as a CNC technician on wire-forming machines.

The majority of the work I do is very small (physically) and mostly either agricultural related (John Deere) or automotive. If any of you still have GM cars with cassette decks in them, I more than likely produced the small torsion spring that keeps the deck door shut when not in use (unless yours is broken!!! LMAO!!!). Plus if any of you have Black & Decker/DaWalt cordless tools, there's a pretty good chance I made the spiral flat springs that keep the tension on the brushes in the motor. Our shop is only about 40-minutes away from Murf's new shop in Lafayette, and I've even produced some springs for one of his engineers. One of them went into the quick-release hub on the traditional butterfly steering wheel used in dragsters and funny cars, and the other ones were used for the escape hatch latches on the funny car bodies.

Sweet thread, Suzie!

Sean D

I used to tell every one I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up...I did factory work, then became a hairdresser, then went into the convience store business where I managed stores and became a district manager, then I went into home health...but I guess I finally grew up almost 10 years ago when I went to work for a Mental Health, Mental Retardation facility. I work in the MR division in a sheltered workshop for for adults. In the workshop we do contract work for a lot of different companies. So we have a two fold job...we must meet the needs of the individuals we sereve and be sure that we follow the guidlines set forth by the state and other agencies...but we must also meet the deadlines, quality control needs of the companies we do contract work for. My job title is Program Manager with a working title of Production Supervisor. What this means is that I must deal with the customer on the contract work...know what they expect for the job they are paying us to do, assign the work to the proper individuals, then see that they maintain qaualty and meet the deadline. All the while maintaining records for the state and writing programs, and seeing that each of the individuals are receiving the training that is required. I have 10 staff members working directly for me, then 8 more staff that I have to give and over see work assignments for. Each of those 18 staff have from 10 to 16 mentally handicapped workers. This is a very rewarding job...but boy is it stressfull. But for now I feel I'm where I need to be.

Thats really great and fulfilling work Deby.
I'll tell my daughter where to send me for good rehab when I go around the bend , so to speak.
Around the bend leads me to my career of near thirty years that keeps me from pursuing my passion of Cars , Racing and more cars.

For I guess twenty eight of those years I have been a Licensed First Class Pilot for all Inland Waters including the Great Lakes.

That is I Pilot a 1800 HP Tug pushing a typical tow of three barges with a capacity of 78,000 BBl's or a few million gallons of gasoline or other refined products from points south to points north via the Mississippi river.
It ain't easy driving something nearly a quarter of a mile long I don't care who you are.
These three barges are 300 ft. long and 54 ft. wide and are a handful to wrangle in close quarters.

If you like traveling and scenery is a great job.
Right now I'm on the Tennessee River near Mussel Shoals Alabama.
Great River and a nice place to vacation/fish as recommended by Bill Dance who's shows often are filmed near here.

I've worked for the same company for 15 years, engineering and estimating mostly plumbing, heating, and air conditioning projects for a large commercial and industrial construction company (check out our website NewMech Companies Inc) headquartered in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. If any of you have heard of or visited the Mall of America in the Twin Cities, we were one of the two mechanical contractors that worked on that building. We've expanded in the last couple years with offices in Las Vegas, Helena, MT, and recently opened up a piping fabrication shop in Baton Rouge, LA. Because of my background and ability to work hands-on with the tools, I began replacing and installing new residential furnaces and central air conditioning systems about 8 years ago.

I am a Roadway Designer now using CADD software. I specialized in Piping Design for 21 years before that. Designed Piping systems for offshore oil platforms for years in South Louisiana, then when I moved to Texas I specialized in Semiconductor Facilities. We designed Piping systems for over 30 chemicals piped throughout the Semiconductor Fabs, I was a Project Manager and traveled all over the world designing those things. That was a nice job, but I eventually grew tired of all the travel so I took a local job designing highways.

On the side I do alot of airbrush painting, mostly Harley's, I restore cars and I do alot of car shows. I used to build alot of old Mopars and sell them, but have slowed down as I got older. Mostly just play with my current Supra and show it.

Here's link if you're interested.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/540871

I've been a springmaker at a small spring manufacturing facility in northern Indiana for almost 19 years. I've been everywhere from low man on the totem pole, to Quality Manager, and now back on the floor as a CNC technician on wire-forming machines.

The majority of the work I do is very small (physically) and mostly either agricultural related (John Deere) or automotive. If any of you still have GM cars with cassette decks in them, I more than likely produced the small torsion spring that keeps the deck door shut when not in use (unless yours is broken!!! LMAO!!!). Plus if any of you have Black & Decker/DaWalt cordless tools, there's a pretty good chance I made the spiral flat springs that keep the tension on the brushes in the motor. Our shop is only about 40-minutes away from Murf's new shop in Lafayette, and I've even produced some springs for one of his engineers. One of them went into the quick-release hub on the traditional butterfly steering wheel used in dragsters and funny cars, and the other ones were used for the escape hatch latches on the funny car bodies.

Sweet thread, Suzie!

Sean D

My ex worked for Grand Rapids Spring and Wire. They also made a lot of small springs, such as the ones for door handles and ashtray lids. Got to learn a bit about heat treating. Amazing what you can do if you heat steel to the right temperature and control the rate of cooling.

Have also hauled plenty of coils of steel wire into ball bearing plants. Same thing, amazing to watch soft wire go into the back at receiving and hardened bearings go out the front at shipping.

I wouldn't mind seeing a seperate thread just for those whose jobs involve manufacturing. Being a truck driver, for years I've felt like the "Hands On History" guy, going into the back doors of where people work and getting to see how they spend their days (dress nice and carry a clipboard if you want to scare the hell out of people!). Nobody lets me run anything, though! :D I LOVE asking how to get to the restroom even if I don't have to go!

Business Development (fancy for sales) guy for a big custom painting company- Performance Painting-in the RV capital of the world. We design and paint Class A motorhomes for many companies, as well as truck conversions, and trailers. One of the great things about this gig is meeting people from all over the country. I especially enjoy talking with drag racers who are getting a new rig, and want to be set apart from the "refrigerator white" crowd. I never would have thought 25 years ago when I was pounding the floor painting van conversions that I would be where I am today. My wife says I have the perfect job, because I can talk paint and design 24/7. When I go to the track, I can't take my eyes off the tasty colors and graphics, the noise is great too, but I digs the "automotive eye candy". Thanks for the thread Suzie.

My ex worked for Grand Rapids Spring and Wire. They also made a lot of small springs, such as the ones for door handles and ashtray lids. Got to learn a bit about heat treating. Amazing what you can do if you heat steel to the right temperature and control the rate of cooling.

Have also hauled plenty of coils of steel wire into ball bearing plants. Same thing, amazing to watch soft wire go into the back at receiving and hardened bearings go out the front at shipping.

I wouldn't mind seeing a seperate thread just for those whose jobs involve manufacturing. Being a truck driver, for years I've felt like the "Hands On History" guy, going into the back doors of where people work and getting to see how they spend their days (dress nice and carry a clipboard if you want to scare the hell out of people!). Nobody lets me run anything, though! :D I LOVE asking how to get to the restroom even if I don't have to go!

That's kinda' funny, Ron. I also had an "ex" work for Grand Rapids Spring and wire. It was actually my ex brother-in-law. He is a tool maker and worked in a small hub Grand Rapids had just 2 buildings west of us here in Logansport. They built tooling for new jobs on multi-slides and worked them in to get all of the bugs out before shipping the dies back to GR for production. GR eventually closed that little hub and he works for someone else.

To be honest, I kind of envy your position as a truck driver. After almost 19 years in the springmaking business, I sometimes think it would be neat to have a job that had me on the road a lot. When we race, I also do most all of the driving of the rig, and I just love it. That works out good because nobody else seems to like to drive! LMAO!!!

Later,

Sean D

That's kinda' funny, Ron. I also had an "ex" work for Grand Rapids Spring and wire. It was actually my ex brother-in-law. He is a tool maker and worked in a small hub Grand Rapids had just 2 buildings west of us here in Logansport. They built tooling for new jobs on multi-slides and worked them in to get all of the bugs out before shipping the dies back to GR for production. GR eventually closed that little hub and he works for someone else.

To be honest, I kind of envy your position as a truck driver. After almost 19 years in the springmaking business, I sometimes think it would be neat to have a job that had me on the road a lot. When we race, I also do most all of the driving of the rig, and I just love it. That works out good because nobody else seems to like to drive! LMAO!!!

Later,

Sean D

There's your small world. Several months ago I was having dinner with someone for the first time from classicfunnycarboard. We were chatting and somehow it came up that the week before I had unhooked the trailer and bobtailed to where an ice cream place was. I passed it because the driveway was a very narrow "keep the trucks out" one, and turned around in an office parking lot (still finding a back way into the ice cream place!). Turns out I turned around in this guy's parking lot! What are the odds?

I've had some weird ones the last few years. Was having a burger at a Dairy Queen on I-40. Some guy and I started chatting. Eventually he asks what I do for a living. When I asked him, he said "Oh, I build and restore something called funny cars." Jim Barillaro. He was just moving from Meriden, CT to Knoxville. If you go to nostalgia events you might see him displaying the Chrisman funny cars.

It doesn't stop there. Rex Lawler, who you see posting here? Jim's shop was right down the road from Rex growing up and Jim used to let him sit in his cars.

A few months ago a stranger and I start chatting out of the blue in front of a candy store in Gatlinburg (the one with the taffee pulling machine you never get tired of watching--been watching it since I was a kid!). Finally I asked him where he was from. Meriden, CT! He and his wife were down to look at property around Knoxville.

The trucking's like anything unless you love what you're doing, which I think I'm getting closer to being able to do in another field. The advantage is being gone and the disadvantage is being gone, LOL. I'm still in a cubicle, even if the scenery changes a little! The first six months was like camping out. The last 21 years has been like a job! :D

Sweet stories, Ron! Who knows, maybe sometime we'll bump into one another. Just remember, if you ever make it up to Myers Spring Company in northern Indiana..................................

Keep on rollin'!

Sean D

Sweet stories, Ron! Who knows, maybe sometime we'll bump into one another. Just remember, if you ever make it up to Myers Spring Company in northern Indiana..................................

Keep on rollin'!

Sean D

Ron has some of the best stories, Sean. He needs to start his own blog :)

I worked as a Maintenance Electrician for 25 years at Coors, and now I'm a 2-way radio tech for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
Yes, I know where all the good hunting and fishing spots are.
(not really, but nobody believes me when I say I don't know)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back