What kind of job do you have? (1 Viewer)

Nice looking ride, Chris. What's the car in your Avatar? Is it BJ Verklers AA/PM?

Tom, yes, it's the `54 Borgward that BJ Verkler drives--another fellow by the name of Tony owns it. I use the image for ColoradoDragRacing.com. It's a very cool car, but they campaigned it on a limited basis this year. I believe it's been in the 6.70s this year up here at Denver.

A member here actually took the photo, it was at a D-7 event, Phoenix I think. I'm thinking it was you that took the photo. :confused:

Last edited:
Just think Chris, alls you need is about $75,000 for a Westcott Hemi and you can run in the 8.60's!;)

Very true, Joe! Actually the car is cut up pretty bad to be raced in Super Stock, but ANYTHING is possible! :D

I still have the car, but haven't had time or funds to race it. I think we are going to update it, and possibly have my brother drive the car next year.

As for me, I'd love to get my hands on a Dodge Avenger for some Top Sportsman action--an ex-pro stock would be perfect! :rolleyes:

Now, I need to go shake the money tree some more. :eek:

Tom, yes, it's the `54 Borgward that BJ Verkler drives--another fellow by the name of Tony owns it. I use the image for ColoradoDragRacing.com. It's a very cool car, but they campaigned it on a limited basis this year. I believe it's been in the 6.70s this year up here at Denver.

A member here actually took the photo, it was at a D-7 event, Phoenix I think. I'm thinking it was you that took the photo. :confused:
Nope, not me. It's just such an unusual ride that I figured it pretty much had to be the one. If somebody here did the photo it was probably Joe Sherwood or Buzzz Miller.

I surf the net looking for non productive Purchasing Agents,that are posting on message boards while being paid to work.

" Y'ALL FIRED!!!!!!:p

Ditto.

I 've done IT work for 25 years all the way from I/O monkey work even using the old punch cards to administering large multi-user mainframes and client-server style unix installations. Keeping the system up was my last job. Nights weekends and holidays. As thankless a job you'll ever find. The next time you use an ATM at 11pm on a Saturday night to get some more cash for whatever,, thank your system/network administrator.

Now I get to answer phones and help our customers troubleshoot their issues. I like it much better. We have centers around the world so I get to log off at the end of the day .cool:

At my place we have remote access software that is almost like being on site, and that makes my job a lot easier and more fun.

One thing I notice is that even on remote tech support, most clients thank me for my work but some are plain 'ol asses. I'll give you a few:

1. Guy calls up complaining that even after we remove the spyware from his system, it's still slow. I see he has Norton on the system (the piece of shit 2006 version) and let him know I'm going to remove it as it's most likely causing the issue. He REFUSES to let me saying "I have a subscription!" even though I told him if it doesn't work I'll eat my words and put it back on. Well I then tell him "OK sir call us back when you back up your stuff so we can format your hard drive" and then in a snotty tone he says "fine remove it then!" Well the machine runs like a champ and I don't even get an apology for him acting like an ass.

2. Guy calls up saying a couple of his Word documents are suddenly messed up, so when I log onto his PC I see on those documents won't change the font, color or anything even if you highlight the text and manually try and select the changes (and no, the docs weren't locked either). So after around 15 minutes I finally say to myself "screw it" and just copy-n-paste the text to a new blank document, and now he can edit them. Although he can now do what he wants (which is what he paid for) he says, "I feel like you worked around the problem rather than actually fixing it." Okay, that's like a power supply dying and risk being electrocuted by trying to fix it rather than just replacing it just to make you look impressive.

3. Woman calls up because she can't connect to her wireless network. This woman was already pissed because she was having this issue 2 days after the warranty for the on site network setup expired. Well after about 3 minutes I have a hunch so I ask her if her wireless switch on her laptop was in the off position - she said yes. So I asked her to flip it in the "on" position and guess what? Connects perfectly. But here's the following bits of dialog:

Her: I hope you're not charging me the full amount just for flipping a switch!
Me: Ma'am, we charge a flat rate and our policy is once the issue is resolved no matter if it takes 2 minutes or 2 hours there are no discounts available.
Her: That's not fair and this would not have happened if your inhome tech would have told me there was a switch that needed to be on, so I demand you give me a discount!
Me: Sorry ma'am, but your issue is resolved and the price is final.
Her: I'm never doing business with you jerks again! *click*

Now before anyone starts ragging on me that I should have given her a discount, on site techs that set up networks have to tell clients there's a switch on the laptop that needs to be on (and the supervisor would say NO to the discount anyway). This person just needs to RTFM.

Last edited:
I'm currently a Modeling and simulation analyst(contractor) working for Cubic Applications http://www.cubic.com supporting the Third Marine Expeditionary Force Tactical Execise Control Group, here at Camp Courtney on Okinawa. We work with the MTWS system and support the training of Marines here on Island. Prior to this I spent 11 years on Active duty as a Marine aviation command and control officer. I spent 10 years enlisted in the reserves while working and going to college.

S/F
D

I'm the Warden over at the womens prison camp. :D:D:D

Actually I've been a mechanic for 20 years in Upstate NY.
Too much rust for me these days,gas tanks ,fuel lines,brake lines rot and replacements,rotors that take an hour to cut off - no thanks.

Looking for the escape route!!!!

My boss just cant understand why I get jacked up going racing- as he says "swimming in 70wt. oil and clutch dust all weekend sounds like a lot of fun"

It a Heaven on earth to me!!!

Great thread Suzie!!

Last edited:
l'm a Retired Registered Nurse. l joined the Royal Air Force as a Medic in 1960 and finished my service in 1971, l was based at RAF El Adem, Libya for two years and was an Aeromedical Nurse. l transferred patients by aircraft from Singapore, RAF Gan, Aden, Cyprus and Libya. l trained as a Registered Nurse, then worked for two years as a Staff Nurse on a Male Surgical Ward. From 1975 to 1979 l was a Staff Nurse in Cardio-Thoracic Anaesthetics, from 1979 to 1986 I was a Staff/Charge Nurse in a Central Operating Recovery Room where they did Urology, GeneraI & Orthopaedic Surgery.

Then l moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead which is less than 2 miles from my apartment, all the Nurses, Doctors, Consultants & Anaesthetists worked great together. This was the best nursing job l ever had, l even enjoyed going to work (l bet there's not many can say that), and l became a Senior Staff Nurse.

We have a VPN client that would allow me to work from home, but since I'm a 20 minute drive from the office, I 'd really rather not.
I don't need the dog barking because the mailman came or any other myriad interruptions that happen with Virtual Office scenarios.

I may use it from time to time, but I like going to work. And when I come home, LEAVING IT THERE ;-)

And yah, people are amazing aren't they. Especially when it comes to technical issues that they are intimidated by. They can be very aggresive.
Why can't people just say 'I don't know' , when they don't know, and quit arguing with me lol. If they knew they answer, they wouldn't be on the phone would they. Ah well. Human nature. I feel like I'm half tech/ half counselor sometimes.

I figure if they call me for help, they need to be nice.
Otherwise, RTFM. :eek:

I am the "Theoretical Physics Manager" at G.Loomis inc. which is a big fancy title for whatever reason. I prefer "General Agitator" but thoses business cards haven't come in yet. I design and build the machines and processes that build graphite fishing rods. I have worked in this industry pretty much all of my life besides being in the Navy 87 - 91. I have also got a side business that I have started called X~Stream Composites or MySpace - X~Stream Composites that builds carbon fiber racing parts for quads and karts. I have also built racing parts for NHRA, Nascar and different aerospace companies. I am also building carbon fiber truss rods for PRS Guitars. It is alot of fun and never boring... but very tiring.

We have a VPN client that would allow me to work from home, but since I'm a 20 minute drive from the office, I 'd really rather not.
I don't need the dog barking because the mailman came or any other myriad interruptions that happen with Virtual Office scenarios.

I may use it from time to time, but I like going to work. And when I come home, LEAVING IT THERE ;-)

And yah, people are amazing aren't they. Especially when it comes to technical issues that they are intimidated by. They can be very aggresive.
Why can't people just say 'I don't know' , when they don't know, and quit arguing with me lol. If they knew they answer, they wouldn't be on the phone would they. Ah well. Human nature. I feel like I'm half tech/ half counselor sometimes.

I figure if they call me for help, they need to be nice.
Otherwise, RTFM. :eek:

There's a "Work from home" at my place too but for me, it's discipline to come to work every day, after all I live only around 10 minutes from the place. Of course being I work so close, I get to come home and have a nice home-cooked meal on my lunch hour!

Oh, as far as the dolts that make you wonder why they call, that's like a person bringing his/her car to a mechanic, him saying he/she needs to get the transmission repaired, and the person firing back with, "No, it not! It's not the transmission, it's the air filter!"

Very interesting. Those are SWEET guitars. Are they the only company that uses carbon fiber or is that pretty common Brad?

They are not the first guitar company to do it and I have worked with two other well reputable guitar companies that has used carbon fiber in their guitars. But with each one, I won't divulge to them what I have/had done with the others and I haven't done the same thing twice yet either. The way that it is used in the PRS make it sustain it's string vibration longer and louder like an acoustic guitar. They sound amazing unplugged... but are even better plugged in. Like an active pickup, but with soul and character.

I own and operate with a small group of employees a Chimney Sweep/Restoration buisness in Central Connecticut. I've owned it for 23 years

It's called "SOOT KAPUT":D and serves all of Connecticut. Not all that hard considering the farthest point is only roughly a hour to a hour and a half away.

We:
Inspect
Clean (soot, debris, and ANIMALS!!:eek:)
Repoint
Rebuild
Reflash
Repair and replace dampers
Install flue and chimney caps (Stone,stainless,Copper, etc.)
Reline (clay tile, stainless steel, and Aluminum)
Clean and tune Oil fired boilers and furnaces
Install and service wood, pellet, coal, and any other type stoves.
Install All Fuel and Type-B Vent gas chimneys (metal)
Clean HVAC systems.

And A Lot more...........

I go out and work virtually every (non raining) day.:(;)

I do all the marketing, estimates, draw up all the proposals, answer the phone (when I'm here) return all calls, do the payroll, and take care of customer service.

I also do all the work listed above.

I'm a hands on type and cannot sit for long........offices drive me absolutely NUTS!!!!!!!! I gotta' be outside and working physically or boredom sets in quick!!!!!!!!!

We serve residential and commercial.

Hard work.......long hours.........I LOVE IT!!!

REX

I am a Data Engineer. I just started with a contractor for the Hilton Corporation in April. I fly all around the USA and Canada setting up wireless networks for guest internet access in Hampton Inns, Hilton Garden Inns, Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites and Conrads. (This week I am in Hagerstown, MD doing the brand new Homewood Suites off I-81)

Before that I worked for the cable company (Cox Communications) in Vegas for 10 years, started in tech support in '97 when they first offered cable modems, moved into business sales and then finally in data engineering for them.

They are not the first guitar company to do it and I have worked with two other well reputable guitar companies that has used carbon fiber in their guitars. But with each one, I won't divulge to them what I have/had done with the others and I haven't done the same thing twice yet either. The way that it is used in the PRS make it sustain it's string vibration longer and louder like an acoustic guitar. They sound amazing unplugged... but are even better plugged in. Like an active pickup, but with soul and character.

Very cool. That is very interesting. Thanks Brad.

Suzie Q strikes again, great idea.

I have been working for a small import/export company for about 22 years. Mostly doing purchasing but being a small company we wear a lot of hats around here. We started exporting oil and industrial equipment to Indonesia but that market is hard to make money so now we mostly import valve bodies and parts for the oil and gas industry. We are basically middlemen between overseas plant and small and mid-size manufacturers here in the states.

I'm also a distributor for amateur (ham) radio and audio equipment. DX Store Amateur Radio Equipment, Microphones, Headset, Keys, Coax, Parts and Accessories Besides the radio stuff we supply microphones for podcasters, musicians, and broadcasters. Oh yeh we also supply cool pink microphones for hot blond singers who like drag racing. This job started as a hobby and is rapidly turning into a full time deal.
I've been a ham radio operator for about 27 years and have made friends all over the world via radio. My radio site is N6DHZ's Home Page

Now if that was not enough to keep me busy a friend and I started doing some web site work for a couple of non-profit organizations and that has started to take off in the last year or so and we made it legitimate this year. Most of the sites are very basic as we work for a lot of non-profit organizations who don't have unlimited budgets. It makes us some money and who knows someone may come along with a big budget one day. STC Network Systems

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back