What kind of job do you have? (1 Viewer)

I'm either everyone's favorite person or the person there pissed at currently, I'm a loan officer for a credit union. I love my job. Its nice helping people when they really need it and saving people money and I happen to work for a smaller credit union thats more member oriented and we are all like family. Been in the banking business since I graduated high school in 99. Other than that, I have several little "side business's" that I conduct that make me some money. On the weekends, you will find me either one of 4 places: race track crewing for my dad's top dragster or camaro, playing poker, taking in a round of golf, or hanging out with my wife.

I'm a QA tech for a defense contractor. In our division, we manufacture, test and install X-ray/CT scanners all over the world for airports, cruise ports, trains, gov't buildings.....you get the picture. Thanks for asking, Suzie!

Late................Mitch

I work in the IT dept at the Veteran's Administration in Iowa City, IA..

We work hand in hand with the University of Iowa..which allows us to do more than most VA's.

Been with the gumment for 21 yrs.

I'll chime in too....

I am the GM of a small printing equipment and supply company. We manufacture a few products and distribute many products. We sell through a dealer network who then, in turn, sells our products to print and copy shops. As the small graphic arts dealers and small franchise print shops disappear we are steering much more into the copy industry and selling direct to national accounts.

In many ways being a small company is hard and I wish that I worked for a large corporation. However, it does have it's advantages. This is my first job straight out of college and I have been here 20 years. I am treated like a full partner and not an employee. My boss and I make all of the decisions so I enjoy that part. We control our destiny and have steered the company together. I think if (when) he retires he will simply offer the company to me in some fashion. I do have to commute so that sucks but I am used to it after all of these years.

Very enlightening thread, thanks Suzie.

I'll chime in too....
In many ways being a small company is hard and I wish that I worked for a large corporation. However, it does have it's advantages. T

Very enlightening thread, thanks Suzie.

It's interesting that you say that Jay. I've never had to look for a job, but I've been offered several jobs at small (around 100 employees) companies that I think would be interesting to work for BUT, I like the idea of having a small business that I help control.
I'm so use to doing multiple things that I'm not sure how I would handle one commited like just being in A/R or A/P. I'd probably be like the guy in the FedEx commercials.

and you are right, thanks for the good thread idea Suzie!

I am so glad y'all are participating! I have been curious for a long time as to what everyone does and just kept forgetting to start the thread! CRS settling in again!!!:D

We need to hear from Joe, Karl, Teri, Ray (well, we all know what Ray does, but he should really spell it all out!) and anyone else who cares to share!!!

I am enjoying this!

This is a wonderful idea for a thread!!

I'm a mechanical designer in the R&D dept for the Tennant Co, a global leader in cleaning solutions. Been here for over four years now. Been at this biz since I first arrived here in the Twin Cities in 1973. Started out on the drafting board, and was pretty decent at that, iffen I do say so myself. Made the move to Computer Aided Drafting/Design in 1987 and never looked back. Heck, if I had to use my old mechanical drawing pencil again, I'd be in big trouble because I have absolutely no idea where it is. It's a nice job here compared to other places that I've worked at in that being in R & D, I'm not just sitting at the 'puter all day. I actually get to go out to the workshop and grab some tools and make some noise.

In my off time, I'm a storm watcher for an organization called METRO SKYWARN. You known when, during severe weather (Especially you guys in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska!!:D) the TV weather guy will say "Trained spotters on the ground have reported....."? That's us. Most cities have their own local organizations. I have a ham radio license (Callsign KCØTRZ) and whenever threatening weather approaches our area, a radio network based at the NWS in Chanhassen is activated, and we report any severe weather conditions, such as hail, rotating wall clouds, flash flooding and, obviously, tornadoes.

Last edited:
David, that is cool! You are one of them crazy guys! I love it! They always tell everyone to get in the bathtub or the closet when the tornado is heading your way, but it is much more fun to stand out on the porch until it is too late!!!

I was a good girl when the tornado came through Fort Worth and stayed in the bathtub!:D

I work for Fedex and am going into my 8th year with them. Before Fedex, I was a Ramp Operations manager for Airborne Express for nearly 5 years...I was still in high school while I was there!
Currently, I am in the process of building up enough flight time to become a flight instructor. My original plan was to go into the Air Force Academy and fly 10yrs with the Air Force...then go Commercial with someone like Southwest, but I met my wife along the way and she wanted NO PART of building a future with me while I was in the service, so I took the "long road" to get to where I'm going and I realize my time with my kids would really suffer if I went commercial or corporate. Being a Flight Instructor is much more "family friendly" for me!
Also, I have also taken up coaching my son's Pop Warner football team and plan on doing so next year!!

T (Especially you guys in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas!) the TV weather guy will say "Trained spotters on the ground have reported....."?

Cool David! But don't forget about good ol' south central Nebraska--we are the north end of tornado alley--what northern KS gets, we get!

I own a certified register Day care and preschool in my home. I have been doing this for 26 years. I have 10 kids from the age of 4 month to 8 year old. My day care is one of only 2 in Medford Oregon that is train to take special needs children. I went back to collage a few year ago and in June I wll have my bachelors in Eary childhood education. I am working with our credit Union to open a Day care center for there employees. It a blessing to be involved in young child lifes. Sometimes I am the one who see the first milestone in their lives.( I never tell Mom or Dad that they have been doing that for a week here)
suzie good idea.;)

PJ!!! You are a dirty, dirty man that needs to be scrubbed down in the bathtub!! heeeheheheee!

Sue, that is great! Good luck to you in your future venture!

Owner/CEO of moderate sized trucking company,and freight brokerage company.Buisness is great need more DRIVERS.Main traffic lanes are from the midwest to the west coast.TAD licensed and about to upgrade to top-fuel.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back