What Kind of DSLR do you have? (1 Viewer)

Joe, I agree with you about megapixels. I have a 6mp Panasonic and I have no desire to upgrade unless it breaks or if I win a lottery (then it's SLR for me).

The real reason for the increases is marketing. You and me know that more pixels is useless but for the average John Q Consumer who is looking at the spec tags at Best Buy, what do you think he's going to be most drawn to? Most consumers don't care about noise performance or shutter lag, they just care whether camera A has more megapixels than camera B!

My camera phone has a digital camera on it, but it does not work. Just shows green fog.

I was thinking of getting a digital camera that works maybe next year. There is a Jannard company that is coming out with a camera that I am interested in.

Oh yeah- Joe Sherwood for president!

I'm with ya Kris, I'm learning as I go. The only book I got was DSLRs for Dummies. I did get a DVD from my brother who bought a set up identical to mine. I should get that book too, but again, I buy books and say "One of these days, I'm gonna read it..."

I think my rebel is something like 10 megapixels and I had one of my photos without photoshop blown up to a mere 3X5 poster.

I did take this picture this morning, and yes, that's me in the mirror!

IMG_6951.jpg

Last edited:
If you were to buy now Nikon has it over Canon. Especially when it comes to focusing. The Canons have issues with the auto focus on things that move (like a TF car) especially the 1D series. Nikon at the moment has the upper hand but Canon is due for some new blood so this could change soon. I know a Pro who shoots a lot of sports cars and F1 and according to him the Nikon (D3) is currently the better of the two.

On the lower end most of us average Joe's (no pun intended) would not be able to tell the difference between Canon and Nikon so pick the one that has the features you like in your price range.

Reading/Listening:
DP Review
Rob Galbraith
PhotoGeek.tv

My camera phone has a digital camera on it, but it does not work. Just shows green fog.

I was thinking of getting a digital camera that works maybe next year. There is a Jannard company that is coming out with a camera that I am interested in.

Buzzz I thought you had a EOS Mark I? Whatever it's a sharp piece! And I did run for President, you just didn't see any of my adds.:p

lol... Buzzz, you're killin' me.

I've still got my Nikon D-70. I bought it the week it came out back in early '04 and have been pretty happy with it. I'd like to step up to a newer Nikon body sometime in the near future.

I've still got my Nikon D-70. I bought it the week it came out back in early '04 and have been pretty happy with it. I'd like to step up to a newer Nikon body sometime in the near future.

I was playing with D70 a few days before I bought my D80 and they seemed very similar ... they seem to have good shelf life.

Jenn, I can so relate, I know if I buy a book I'll say to myself, 'I am so going to read that ... some day.' LOL

When you're in the business of language it's so hard to motivate yourself to read at the end of the day.

Joe, I remember about 5 years ago I was covering the high school state basketball tournament, and I was chatting with a photog from the daily (our former sister publication). He had three huge lenses (200, 300 and one even bigger) and he asked me how much I figured they cost. I told him about $10k and he said I was close -- they cost $15k and the company paid for them. But you put that equipment in the right hands and you get incredible photography. :D

I was playing with D70 a few days before I bought my D80 and they seemed very similar ... they seem to have good shelf life.

Jenn, I can so relate, I know if I buy a book I'll say to myself, 'I am so going to read that ... some day.' LOL

When you're in the business of language it's so hard to motivate yourself to read at the end of the day.

Joe, I remember about 5 years ago I was covering the high school state basketball tournament, and I was chatting with a photog from the daily (our former sister publication). He had three huge lenses (200, 300 and one even bigger) and he asked me how much I figured they cost. I told him about $10k and he said I was close -- they cost $15k and the company paid for them. But you put that equipment in the right hands and you get incredible photography. :D

My Dad used to say, and still says "If you can make great things come out with whatcha got, you'll make phenominal things come out when you have the better or best equipment."

What I want to get next is a good flash, they sure are pricey though. I try to get the best I can afford and not worry about what I can't afford, just...do the best with what I got!

I have a Canon Rebel XTI and am by no means a good photographer, but I love the damn thing!!! I have come up with some cool shots in auto mode and have been playing with manual mode a ton lately. Here are some samples.

Scoopmirror2.jpg

Flameshake.jpg

Brad, the noise in this picture seems to fit the era just fine :) It's a great shot, IMO

Thats what I love about it!!! You should see the original shot I cropped it down from! Thank god for photoshop! The original pic was HORRIBLE!!! And thats one more photography lesson. Scrutinize your BAD shots. People would be surprised what they can do with them. Here it is.

Flameshakefull.jpg

I love photoshop, I just wish I knew how to use it. A friend of mine took down the saturation on this picture for me, I love how it came out

Posters310.jpg

My Dad used to say, and still says "If you can make great things come out with whatcha got, you'll make phenominal things come out when you have the better or best equipment."

What I want to get next is a good flash, they sure are pricey though. I try to get the best I can afford and not worry about what I can't afford, just...do the best with what I got!

Jenn, the 430ex flash is available at buydig.com for $240.

Jenn, the 430ex flash is available at buydig.com for $240.

That's the one that I was looking at, Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me :)

I think the local retail shop has it for $210 but I'm on a tighter budget right now. What I might do is convince my brother that he really really needs one for his rebel, and then once he gets it, I'll test it out for him. :p

Kris the Reason those Lenses cost SOO Much is they are Super Quick! An 300m F2.0 lense in natural light takes phenominal shots! You want to know how pricey any lense is; just look at the Min. Aperture. A 18-200 F3.5 is about half as much as a F2.8 one!

Did you see the new Mark II version? 21 megapixels and ability to record movies in 1080p and ISO up to 25,600. :D

I think I need to clarify an earlier post, last night I got an email from a friend of mine who shoots everything from Racing, Wildlife to Landscapes. And he thought my post about RAW shooting was short-sighted. If I sounded like I think RAW shooting's a waste of time, that's NOT the case! I have shot RAW in the past and the difference from jpeg is stunning! BUT...........I was referring to the casual/Hobby 35mm photographer to which I'm one. RAW files are huge around 12-15mg each, and thus need a TON of Hard drive space! When I come home from shooting a race, I shoot maybe 250-300 pics, not nearly as much as some. Even shooting those in jpeg the time to upload is time consuming, try uploading 250-300 images in RAW and see how long it takes? If I was a Professional Shutter who shot 24/7 for a living yeah I'd probably shoot RAW for most applications, but since I'm not as good as Buzzz Miller, Paul Grant or Gil Rebelis I don't think that will ever happen anytime soon! That's all!;)

I think I need to clarify an earlier post, last night I got an email from a friend of mine who shoots everything from Racing, Wildlife to Landscapes. And he thought my post about RAW shooting was short-sighted. If I sounded like I think RAW shooting's a waste of time, that's NOT the case! I have shot RAW in the past and the difference from jpeg is stunning! BUT...........I was referring to the casual/Hobby 35mm photographer to which I'm one. RAW files are huge around 12-15mg each, and thus need a TON of Hard drive space! When I come home from shooting a race, I shoot maybe 250-300 pics, not nearly as much as some. Even shooting those in jpeg the time to upload is time consuming, try uploading 250-300 images in RAW and see how long it takes? If I was a Professional Shutter who shot 24/7 for a living yeah I'd probably shoot RAW for most applications, but since I'm not as good as Buzzz Miller, Paul Grant or Gil Rebelis I don't think that will ever happen anytime soon! That's all!;)

Yesterday the pro photog I work with showed up at something I was covering (another story for another time, but I already was shooting, had been for an hour ...) so I told him he didn't have to stay if he had other, more pressing things to do.

One of his more pressing things to do (keep in mind he uses a Mark II issued by the company) was to dump his hard drive on his MacBook (also company issued) because it was chock full of photos. Guess he was shooting raw, huh? :p

This weekend I really am going to sit down, look through the manual, and learn at least what some of the other settings on my camera are for. Heh.

I want a big flash, too, but my photog yesterday suggested getting a Gary Fong diffuser (hope I'm getting that right) to put in the um, shoe, I think he said to help pep the light my pop up flash provides.

I'm thinking of putting a long lens on my Christmas wish list ... something in the 200 or 300 range.

Thoughts?

That's the one that I was looking at, Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me :)

I think the local retail shop has it for $210 but I'm on a tighter budget right now. What I might do is convince my brother that he really really needs one for his rebel, and then once he gets it, I'll test it out for him. :p

The 430EX is a sweet flash, I love mine. I also have a Promaster 7500EDF which is my backup. It's a pretty decent unit as well, but I'm not sure it's any less expensive.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back