What Kind of DSLR do you have? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
I have a Nikon D 200, not bad but I'm waiting for the Full Frames to get down in price! That's the ticket...

I don't have a DSLR at the moment but if I was going to buy one it would be the new Canon EOS-50D: Canon EOS 50D Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

See, I'm not so keen on full frame. Maybe for studio or landscape work but with the cropped sensor cameras you shoot with the center of the lens (the best part) and it essentially gives you a 1.5x telecoverter (1.6x for Canon) for free.

The only thing is, as resolution increases the need for better glass rises too. Cheap lenses have a hard time taking advantage of the current generation of 10-15 megapixel cameras. Which is why people who buy an SLR with a $300 lens are often disappointed with the results. Full frame is even more demanding.

BTW speaking of lenses, this is my my dream lens: EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Telephoto - Telephoto Lens - EF 200mm f/2L IS USM - Canon USA Consumer Products It cost $6K, though. :eek:

Santa brought me a Nikon D-40X :D It made its maiden voyage at Indy this year. Worked well but still learning so much about it....

indy2008disc1236.jpg

indy2008disc1274.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

I used to be down on Nikons because their noise performance used to be behind Canon's but with their newer cameras it's pretty darn close.

Nice pics Cheryl.

What is a DSLR?

It is a Digital Single Lens Reflex. The digital version of the older manual single lens (SLR) camera. It uses a mirror system to direct the view through the lens to the viewfinder, the mirror moves out of the way when the shutter is activated so the image can be imprinted on the media. With an SLR that would be film, digital camera it is memory.

Canon Rebel Xti. Great starter camera, not that you need a starter camera Joe. I love it.

I have a Rebel XT and an XTi, great cameras for the money. I spent some decent coin on lenses and I am very happy with the results.

At some point I want to grab a 5D.

I have a Rebel XT and an XTi, great cameras for the money. I spent some decent coin on lenses and I am very happy with the results.

Did you see the new Mark II version? 21 megapixels and ability to record movies in 1080p and ISO up to 25,600. :D

Did you see the new Mark II version? 21 megapixels and ability to record movies in 1080p and ISO up to 25,600. :D

I did not, but WOW!

I'll have to look for some info on it. I think the cost may have a few too many zeros at the end for me though..

EDIT:
All that for under 3 grand.. Double WOW....
May have to wait a bit longer, but would be way worth it.

Same here. I figure within a year or two. Since I'm happy with my unit and it suits my needs well, I try not to buy stuff based on want. The best units are usually the ones that are paid for :)

What is a DSLR?

Say it ain't so Buzzzzzzzzz! :p;):eek:

Sam I too like the 1:5 lense factor as well, BUT a 36 x 24mm CMOS sensor is FAR superior to the 23 x 16mm size all the current camera's use! How do I know? A Friend of mine bought the D 700 which is Full frame, we went out shooting together using my D 200 with similar glass and using manual settings! And I was Stunned at the visual differences! I was like your Freakin Kidding me! And I'm willing to bet the same comparison would be the same with Canon's! But $2,500 for a body is out of my price range! Maybe next year...

Last edited:
Sam I too like the 1:5 lense factor as well, BUT a 36 x 24mm CMOS sensor is FAR superior to the 23 x 16mm size all the current camera's use! How do I know? A Friend of mine bought the D 700 which is Full frame, we went out shooting together using my D 200 with similar glass and using manual settings! And I was Stunned at the visual differences! I was like your Freakin Kidding me! And I'm willing to bet the same comparison would be the same with Canon's! But $2,500 for a body is out of my price range! Maybe next year...

Joe, some of the pictures that cameras nowadays are capable of producing are not unlike watching HDtv. One almost thinks that the image they are viewing is better than what they see in real life. I find it all absolutely amazing.

Say it ain't so Buzzzzzzzzz! :p;):eek:

Was he using the same lenses as you, or was he using Nikon's "ED" (Nikon's equivalent of Canon's "L" series) line of lenses?

Because on the Canon side everything I read says if you want to upgrade to full frame you need to upgrade to L series lenses, or similar from another manufacturer (ie: sigma's EX line). Otherwise that huge sensor will reveal every flaw in the glass!

Was he using the same lenses as you, or was he using Nikon's "ED" (Nikon's equivalent of Canon's "L" series) line of lenses?

Because on the Canon side everything I read says if you want to upgrade to full frame you need to upgrade to L series lenses, or similar from another manufacturer (ie: sigma's EX line). Otherwise that huge sensor will reveal every flaw in the glass!

Samuel,

Where are you getting your information? You know more crap about these cameras than I do and I own one. (Granted, I'm up to my eyeballs in the stuff I have to read, much less the stuff I want to read).

Digital photography is one thing I like to study up on. Blame it on spending countless time on the dpreview forums and other places.

Yes we both used the Sigma "OS" lense, mine's 18-200m and I think his was a 18-135m. When I do decide to make that digital jump it willbe my last for awhile! Once I started buying digital camera's it became clear what it state of the srt today is obsolete tomorrow!

This is what the newspaper company I work for issues our full time photographers. They are sick.

Samuel,

Where are you getting your information? You know more crap about these cameras than I do and I own one. (Granted, I'm up to my eyeballs in the stuff I have to read, much less the stuff I want to read).

I am not yet up to my eyeballs in stuff to read but I should be. Someone on SU (the forum I mod on) suggested a book called 'Understanding Exposure' I believe. I have it on my Amazon wish list.

Right now, I'm learning through trial and error. I'm lucky in that I have several experienced, professional photographers at my disposal. Then again, they all told me to go Canon and I ignored them. Heh.

Anyway, I got my Nikon D80 about two weeks ago and I am head over heels in love with it, despite the fact that I am pretty much only capable of point and shoot at this stage. It is a significant upgrade and change from my previous Nikon Coolpix point 'n' shoot.

There's a local camera shop that offers classes and I need to scope that out, too, but so far we've used a few of my photos in the paper. Part of the reason I got the thing (other than to finally get some decent photos at the drags) is so that I can supplement what our regular photog does because we share him with another paper in our division. So it's nice that I can just take my camera with me. It works well for that.

Any other tips on stuff I should read ... obviously I need to spend more time at dpreview. A friend who is a hobby photog suggested photography.net. I've been so busy recently with five million other things for work I really haven't had much time to squeeze in camera related reading but things are slowing down to a more manageable pace now and I expect to have time to learn how to make the most of my new toy. Er, I mean, my new tool.

This is what the newspaper company I work for issues our full time photographers. They are sick.

I am not yet up to my eyeballs in stuff to read but I should be. Someone on SU (the forum I mod on) suggested a book called 'Understanding Exposure' I believe. I have it on my Amazon wish list.

Right now, I'm learning through trial and error. I'm lucky in that I have several experienced, professional photographers at my disposal. Then again, they all told me to go Canon and I ignored them. Heh.

Anyway, I got my Nikon D80 about two weeks ago and I am head over heels in love with it, despite the fact that I am pretty much only capable of point and shoot at this stage. It is a significant upgrade and change from my previous Nikon Coolpix point 'n' shoot.

There's a local camera shop that offers classes and I need to scope that out, too, but so far we've used a few of my photos in the paper. Part of the reason I got the thing (other than to finally get some decent photos at the drags) is so that I can supplement what our regular photog does because we share him with another paper in our division. So it's nice that I can just take my camera with me. It works well for that.

Any other tips on stuff I should read ... obviously I need to spend more time at dpreview. A friend who is a hobby photog suggested photography.net. I've been so busy recently with five million other things for work I really haven't had much time to squeeze in camera related reading but things are slowing down to a more manageable pace now and I expect to have time to learn how to make the most of my new toy. Er, I mean, my new tool.

Kris, the Newspapers all buy High-end stuff! Ask them how much those Mark II's are? And Sam find me an application for 21 MP? I don't know a soul who's needed to a 5600 x 3800 RAW for a Billboard size print. I've been in the Printing business for 30 years and would you believe one of my puny 1200 x 1900 jpeg shots ended up in a City-wide promotion on city buses? I was asked by about 15 people what kind of camera I used (D 100) and what res. the whole nine. Most were stunned when I told them I shot that Jpeg. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that will disagree with me, but I'm not sold on the Mega pixels deal, today's photoshop technology makes up for a TON!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back