Turbocharged... Pfttt, Paul Page is a putz... (1 Viewer)

until they put a drag race announcer who has a good bit of experience behind the mike, it's always going to be someone 'doing their best'. kind of like me calling a hockey game. i know the object of the game is to get the puck in the goal more times than the other guy, but i'd be reading off someone else's research the whole time. i think if you watch dave rieff on the sportsman telecasts in the lead announcer position, he does a good job, and he's come up the ranks. as someone that has announced and done color, you've got to have a good bit of your info in your head to be 'sharp'. if you don't do your homework and rely on your memory too much, you'll botch the facts, so it's fine line. that's why frey's the best in the business. has a great memory and a database of driver info/stats on his computer that is second to none.

many of us who have watched drag racing over the years were exposed one of the greatest tandems behind the mikes, steve evans and dave mcclellan. tragically we lost steve a few years back and nobody can fault dave for not wanting to travel on the road forever. for everything he's done for the sport, he definitely deserves his retirement. for whatever reason, the powers that be value experience in general vs experience in the sport.

not knocking paul, he's doing a good job trying to learn the sport. however, until we get a drag race announcer in that slot, it's always going to be this way.

So, are you related to Paul Miller?

Hey Bobby, do you have a problem you would like to discuss? I think you might need a lesson on not taking personal shots at people on this board. I see you took a shot at Greg Moon earlier and now me. You can convey your message in many ways without making it personal. For someone who has preached to me how I should not be abrasive and be respectful to my elders such as you (thank you daddy), you are not too respectful making things personal where it is not warranted. It is much like how you trash DSR on occasion, not real respectful coming from someone who preaches perfection.

'Kinda harsh Steve.

He may generally irritate you but, he covered his goof immediately (and correctly too).:rolleyes:

If I had my, "Paul Page Goof Up Scorecard" in front of me, I'm sure I could find at least 10 other things he said or did that annoyed me too... On that list of alternate reasons which support my dislike for the way he does his job, there would be at least 9 that he offered no "cover" for...

I won't stick up for the guy, I don't like the way he does his job and I have no problem telling others about it...

:)

(Here's the edit)

This is all about personal preference and I don't dig it. I also don't like that ESPN has decided that a guy who spent last night in a Holiday Inn Express is good enough to offer expert commentary on national/world wide TV about some stuff he really knows nothing about. He's not a fan and not a SME, especially in comparison to the guy he sits next to.

I'm not saying he isn't doing his best. I'm saying Bill Stephens or Marty Reid can do and pretty much always did a better job than him. If either was still covering the professional straight line stuff I'd like the telecasts better...

Last edited:
I agree....and that's the nice thing about having a drag racing message board to say it on...which is why we are here right?

Yes sir, I believe it is... Unless of course this is the "No TV Broadcaster Opinions Allowed" section... If it is, I'm sure a mod would find the appropriate forum for this...

Yes sir, I believe it is... Unless of course this is the "No TV Broadcaster Opinions Allowed" section... If it is, I'm sure a mod would find the appropriate forum for this...
Yea..the trash can.

I am always amused at how much time people waste on this. I'll cringe on occasion..but that's as far as it goes for me. To constantly belittle the man serves no purpose that I can see..venting maybe.

Personally, I would prefer watching the broadcast through "sounds of the strip"..that was awesome..Alan even made it in..hehe.

He didn't correct his GOOF on the qualifying show when he called Ashley Force, Hillary. It was at the end of the piece they did talking to Ashley Force, her Mom and Sister, about her facing John in the first round. As Ashley was walking away, arm in arm with Britney, he called her Hillary. He is always making mistakes and sounds like an amateur. How can the NHRA get any respect with a lead announcer that can't even get the names and classes right?:(:confused::mad::mad:

I caught that one also--heck he ought to know by now that if it's an interview on ESPN2 coverage, it's about a 90 percent chance that it will be with someone in JFR before even seeing it (smiley would be here but too many images for it to post)

Last edited:
So, are you related to Paul Miller?

I might be, you have a problem with it? What difference does who I am make? I didn't make any comments toward you, yet you decide to make it personal.

I feel that anyone who is in Paul's position, a PAID, and probably pretty well paid, announcer, should be more accurate with their facts and descriptions of the sport that they are commentating on. At the very least he should get their name and class right.

Yea..the trash can.

I am always amused at how much time people waste on this. I'll cringe on occasion..but that's as far as it goes for me. To constantly belittle the man serves no purpose that I can see..venting maybe.

No one made you open up this post. He is simply stating his opinion. If you don't like it don't open the post!

No one made you open up this post. He is simply stating his opinion. If you don't like it don't open the post!
Didn't say I didn't like it did I? I stated I found it amusing that the constant belittling doesn't serve much purpose..and that's MY opinion.

Oh..and Jessica..as much as I would prefer not to open some threads..as a Modulator I have to check them out. ;)

Or RepeatMater

Big deal... Sorry about that Mr. Modulator. Perhaps you should approve every thread before it's posted and let the members know they are bringing up a subject that may have been posted before. Even if it's not really the same thing but close enough...

I'm done with this thread. I feel my IQ dropping from the moronic rhetoric going on in here...

Big deal... Sorry about that Mr. Modulator. Perhaps you should approve every thread before it's posted and let the members know they are bringing up a subject that may have been posted before. Even if it's not really the same thing but close enough...

I'm done with this thread. I feel my IQ dropping from the moronic rhetoric going on in here...
No need to get all huffy, Steve. My point was just the fact that it seems Paul gets more ink than the Force's.

I understand your frustration..I really do. :)

No need to get all huffy, Steve. My point was just the fact that it seems Paul gets more ink than the Force's.

I understand your frustration..I really do. :)

Slight Exaggeration there Mr. Modulator Extraordainaire :)

Maybe more ink that that points leader, Tim Wilkerson, who I understand is flying "Mater Made Parts" although, admittedly, it doesn't say that on the box :p

At the end of the day, we get to watch each round of PRO racing. Good or bad commentary or play by play, bad or good pit reporting, too much time dedicated to one team or one organization or one driver, or you think of the complaint; still I think most of us can watch a broadcast and make our own opinions on the racing at the track. To me the most important part is that it's on TV!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back