Paul Page/ Nicely Done! (1 Viewer)

Fast Al

Nitro Member
I realise Paul has taken a lot of flak in the past for his announcing prowess, (or lack of), but I feel that in the last two race's, especially today's, he has done an exceptional job. The way he has handled the tragedy of Eric's death on the air, and the events following it have been done with dignity, class, and I believe, personal heartfelt caring.

I also feel his level of understanding the sport, and conveying a heightened sense of urgency and excitement has increased immensely. It almost seems like Mike is starting to enjoy his broadcast partner now,which can only be more enjoyable for us folks that are tuning in.

While I'd prefer some other person in the booth, I agree, Paul may be finding his groove. He seems better prepared - that, and a sincere interest, always helps.

You guys are right...Paul is finding his groove...and he's getting better. Congrats to him.

T

Never thought I'd say it but he's coming around, 1000% better than he was. Mike still has to bail him out once in awhile, but he's getting better.

Seems to be getting better.
One thing has me ROTFLMAO tho:
I might have heard wrong, but I think he accidentally called
"Fast" Jack Beckman
"FAT" Jack Beckman
rofl.gif

I've called Beckman a lot worse than THAT...just not on TV:D . He's really a fun guy and Page just might have been making a joke! I seem to remember some really worked up folks over Marty a few years ago but certainly did ok. Page is WAY to professional to say uneducated about his job for very long.

It seems to me that growing up I always remembered Paul doing the "Indy" car broadcasts and while drag racing is my first love, I always felt that Indy Car was the most important racing there was because of the high level of factory involement and Indy racing going back further than any other in this country, anyway, I always associated Paul with that, He was INDY CAR RACING to me. with that said, I realized he needed time to "warm up" to drag racing and I hoped he would and not give up trying, so now as most of you agree he is "coming around" pretty well and I for one am thrilled by this, because to me, it is quite an honor to have such a special annoucer and a man I consider a "legend" to be broadcasting the drag racing today, along with Mike Dunn, I think they could become the best broadcast dual in drag racing history (remember I said dual, no one will ever replace Steve Evans or Dave McCelland and you know Bob Frey is right up there).............Perry Jr.

Last edited:
I'm late to post because I wasn't able to watch the race until this afternoon, but I wholeheartedly agree with everyone... Paul Page has really started to come into his own. He ain't perfect, but few are. I really enjoy listening to the volume almost as much as I enjoy watching the races now. I used to listen so I could count errors along the way, but with each passing telecast he gets better and better. Way to stick with it when so many wanted you gone Paul...

What I find nice is that so many folks have been willing to give props to Paul after so many of us, myself included, were willing to lynch him just a year ago. I think that says a lot about the class of individual posting here on The Mater!

I think he did a great job! I got tickled at Mike's chuckles when Paul would get so excited at the end of so many runs. lol

Are you guys watching a different broadcast than I am!?!?

We still hoses half the drivers' names. And still makes boneheaded comments right and left!

I think you're so used to him being bad that you're tuning out his mistakes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back