Top Fuel and Funny Car: A modest proposal inspired by Alan R. (1 Viewer)

We have a Heritage Series Legal Nostalgia Funny Car,and on the quick end of the rules,besides the usual safety stuff,here they are in a nutshell: any percentage Nitro, 21 Gal Fuel Pump (flowed and sealed),Points Magneto (no MSD 44), 6-71 Supercharger with a max of 19% overdrive,Three disc (maximum) clutch (with no pnuematics). and something around a 3.60 or.90 rear gear (although most run a 4.10 or 4.30). And did I say any percentage of Nitro? Not uncommon for some to run 98%. View attachment DSC_3853.JPG

Last edited:
John, if you're thinking of a blown alky dragster wing on a T/F car, that would be pretty scary. I don't think the car would get more than 200-300' before it got loose.
The teams would have to take a load of power (read $) away and learn to live with a smaller downforce wing. I suggested the T/AD type wing because I had suggested 20% less as a talking point start, but less downforce is CHEAP & QUICK. If a car spins the tire at 280 MPH now they just back it down until it doesn't. It's the same as reducing the % of glue in the track-prep. The tuners will adapt.

A big part of the idle sound you are comparing is as simple as engine speed. Today's cars idle at close to 3,000 RPM.

Alan
Been right at 2600 for as long as I can remember, hasn't it, Alan? Anyway, no big deal, they still sound good.

I'll leave my opinion like this...if converting to slower cars and back to quarter mile racing strictly for tradition purposes, I'm dead set against it. Stay home if you're that sensitive. If the primary concerns are to reduce costs for the teams while retaining fan interest, then we've got to look at an alternative. Get the racers, team owners, sponsors and NHRA together this off-season and work it out; it's the only way. Input from everybody; go with the consensus.

Been right at 2600 for as long as I can remember, hasn't it, Alan? Anyway, no big deal, they still sound good.

I'll leave my opinion like this...if converting to slower cars and back to quarter mile racing strictly for tradition purposes, I'm dead set against it. Stay home if you're that sensitive. If the primary concerns are to reduce costs for the teams while retaining fan interest, then we've got to look at an alternative. Get the racers, team owners, sponsors and NHRA together this off-season and work it out; it's the only way. Input from everybody; go with the consensus.
Honestly, I was dead set against 1000' back in '08, but everyone adapted and I don't ever see fuel going back to 1/4 mile.

Thank You,here is a pic with the body off.We ran seventeen laps with the car this year,best e.t. was 6.07,and did not have the heads,or the pan off the car at the track all five events we ran ,and also ran the same piston-rod-rings /bearings/clutch pack. All we would do between laps was change the oil,check the valve lash and tighten up the clutch pack.All on 94-100% nitro. Brad Penn Nitro 70 oil gets my vote. A nitro car can be run on a budget.View attachment DSC_0038.JPG
Eric, that is a nice looking car. Hope you do well with it.

I would bet my singlewide that Tobler, Prock, Grubnic and AJ all know how to trim back their cars two or three tenths and double their reliability. We can grab the wheel of this out of control car or scream in the back seat.

I would bet my singlewide that Tobler, Prock, Grubnic and AJ all know how to trim back their cars two or three tenths and double their reliability. We can grab the wheel of this out of control car or scream in the back seat.
My point exactly..., all that is missing is the will.

when they went to 1000' didn't they say it would save parts? all it did was challenge them to blow them up sooner.

in case anyone forgot, drag racing is getting from point A to B the FASTEST no mention of cheaply, saving parts.........

performance and cheap can not be used in the same sentence.

when they went to 1000' didn't they say it would save parts? all it did was challenge them to blow them up sooner.

in case anyone forgot, drag racing is getting from point A to B the FASTEST no mention of cheaply, saving parts.........

performance and cheap can not be used in the same sentence.
just think what they'd blow up at 1320

I think the fuel cars are fine as is. I go to some nostalgia FC races and they run 1/8 mile. Once they are past the stands it doesn't matter. If they need to slow down run 880' or 900' Unknowing folks would wonder how the times got that quick.

Back in the mid Thirtys of this thread people wanted to bring back the sound of the early 2000nds. The reality is the "Sound" is only the by product of the components and the tune up that was happening at that time. I also think that the memory of that sound has a lot more to do with complete situation than just the actual sound. For example if you (I) today hear a small block Chevrolet engine with a "Duntov" cam in it the "Cadence" (the sound) is immediatly recognised. Subconsciously it's more than just the cam cadence - it's the Tri Five Chevy (or in my case a 32 Ford Sedan with a 301" SBC) pulling into Bobs Big Boy or crusing down Van Nuys Blvd. Sometimes I go out and fire up my '58 Triumph with a 140 (750cc) engine and the sound is "Perfect" - which actually is not but the sound is - Then - not really perfect. Same with my '77 HD with drag pipes. It is all about the things triggerd in your head. The March Meet and the CHRR have a Caclefest and they are fun. Herm Peterson put on a "Cackle Thunder" contest which we were lucky enough to win but they decided not to have any more because of safety when every one said they would be back with a lot more Motor. Truth is I had that thing hopped up to the point where I would probably be wearing the Blower by 300 feet or it would have a "Chicken Leg" (Rod) sticking out the side on a real pass. The reality is 4000 to 5000 Horsepower cannot sound like 10,000 to 11,000 Horsepower no matter what kind or percent fuel you put in it.

I bet every drag racing fan who has gone to the drags for 20 years has (or will have) a hearing problem. When I got a hearing test, doc said I had "classic hearing loss" associated w/ going to the drags when I was younger. I always use ear plugs now, but didn't back then. Arghhh

I bet every drag racing fan who has gone to the drags for 20 years has (or will have) a hearing problem. When I got a hearing test, doc said I had "classic hearing loss" associated w/ going to the drags when I was younger. I always use ear plugs now, but didn't back then. Arghhh

Would you repeat that Cliff. I couldn't hear you.

Definitely the case for me. Many drag races and rock concerts=now wearing hearing aids!

huh? ;)

Question: If TF/FC rules were left largely as-is but limits were placed on maintenance, repair and overhaul (with penalties if exceeded) ... would that significantly reduce costs to teams?

Question: If TF/FC rules were left largely as-is but limits were placed on maintenance, repair and overhaul (with penalties if exceeded) ... would that significantly reduce costs to teams?
Do you mean limiting servicing cars between runs? That's where you find a spun main or squashed rod bearing, scuffed piston, melted head etc. If you don't catch that, the next pass definitely won't reduce any costs!

possibly one block, set of heads, blower and everything else considered a wear parts...............
2 sets of slicks unless they bubble

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back