Drivers with Sportsman and Pro Wins (1 Viewer)

Tim5636sc

Nitro Member
Getting things ready for the 2011 season and the 60th Anniversary of the NHRA, I was wondering if we could find a list of all the drivers who have won in both NHRA Sportsman divisions and the Pro Categories.

Obviously, the only person to do it at the same event was Pat Austin...and he did it twice....Topeka 91 and some other race...;)

Here is who I've got so far...

Blaine Johnson - Top Fuel / TAD
Gary Scelzi - Top Fuel, FC / TAD, TAFC
Cruz Pedregon - Funny Car/TAD (driving Turner's car perhaps?)
Frank Pedregon? - Funny Car / TAD (driving Maddern's car perhaps?)
Pat Austin - Top Fuel / TAFC
Joe Amato - Top Fuel / TAD
Melanie Troxel - Top Fuel, FC, Pro Mod / TAD
Tommy Johnson Jr. - Top Fuel, FC/ TAFC
FAST Jack Beckman - Funny Car / Super Comp
Morgan Lucas - Top Fuel / TAD
Ashley Force - Funny Car/TAD
Dave Connolly - Pro Stock / Super Gas, Super Comp
Tim Wilkerson - Funny Car / TAFC
Darrell Russell - Top Fuel / TAD
Bob Tasca III - Funny Car / TAFC
TONY BARTONE - Funny Car / TAFC
Darrell Gwynn - Top Fuel / TAD
Larry Morgan - Pro Stock / COMP Elim
Jeg Coughlin Jr. - Pro Stock / Super Gas
Jason Line - Pro Stock / Stock Elim

I am sure I'm missing several people on this list...especially in the 60 years of NHRA....

Anybody care to add to the list?

Depending on what you consider "sportsman classes" Dakin has one events in Top Gas back in the 70s as well as a couple national events in TF

Also add Brandon Bernstein in TAD and TF

I believe Greg Stanfield has won in 4 or 5 sportsman categories as well as Pro Stock. Mike Edwards won Modified Eliminator way back when and Pro Stock. I also think Hot Rod Fuller also won either Super Gas or Super Comp once as well as Top Fuel. It also seems to me Spencer Massey won TAD and Top Fuel.

EDIT: if you want to count Pro Mod as a pro class ... a TON of those guys have also won in the sportsman ranks. (Von Smith TAFC, Jay Payne TAFC, Troy Coughlin and Rickie Smith in Pro Stock and I am sure there are others)

Last edited:
I am sure I'm missing several people on this list...especially in the 60 years of NHRA....

Anybody care to add to the list?

You're missing many, many drivers but I'll give you a hint. Just about all the early Pro Stock winners also won in Modified or Super Stock and many of the Pro Stock Truck winners also won in Comp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one for you....I won in the "top gas" catagory in 1971 which was considered a pro class for my first wins, and then in the "sportsman" cat. of Top Alcohol. Does this count?

Timmah...

Gene Snow... won Indy twice as a sportsman back in the mid sixties... World champ in Floppers, several wins in Pipe-racks...

You're missing many, many drivers but I'll give you a hint. Just about all the early Pro Stock winners also won in Modified or Super Stock and many of the Pro Stock Truck winners also won in Comp.

Wow ... I completely forgot about Pro Stock Truck ... almost ALL of those guys were winners in the sportsman ranks.

Well, you did write the book about it Kevin...;) Did Bob Glidden win a National Event in Modified or Super Stock?

Last edited:
I believe Greg Stanfield has won in 4 or 5 sportsman categories as well as Pro Stock. Mike Edwards won Modified Eliminator way back when and Pro Stock. I also think Hot Rod Fuller also won either Super Gas or Super Comp once as well as Top Fuel. It also seems to me Spencer Massey won TAD and Top Fuel.

EDIT: if you want to count Pro Mod as a pro class ... a TON of those guys have also won in the sportsman ranks. (Von Smith TAFC, Jay Payne TAFC, Troy Coughlin and Rickie Smith in Pro Stock and I am sure there are others)

Good Point...

Let's clarify this:

NHRA PRO CATEGORY

TOP FUEL
TOP ELIMINATOR
TOP GAS
FUEL FUNNY CAR
FACTORY EXPERIMENTAL
PRO STOCK
PRO STOCK TRUCK
PRO STOCK MOTORCYCLE
PRO MOD

NHRA National Event Sportsman Category

Pro Comp
Top Alcohol Dragster
Top Alcohol Funny Car
Competition Eliminator
Modified Eliminator
Super Stock
Stock
Super Comp
Super Gas
Super Street

Last edited:
Below is a breakdown of the Coughlin brothers NHRA national event class wins.

John Coughlin - Pro Stock Truck, Super Stock, Super Gas
Troy Coughlin - Pro Stock, ProMod, Super Gas
Mike Coughlin - Pro Stock Truck, Top Sportsman, Super Comp
Jeg Coughlin Jr - Pro Stock, Comp, Super Stock, Super Gas, Top Dragster

I am sure there is a pretty long list with some very familar names on it!

Pretty sure Veney set a speed record in fuel FC, but no win. Same with Armstrong, who set an ET record (5.89?) on fuel but no win.

Not sure if he's won in Top Fuel but Shawn Langdon has won in Super Gas. And Morgan Lucas has won in a Pro/Sportsman class

I want to say Shepherd also won in Modified, but I'm not sure.

And I also don't remember whether or not Don Coonce ever won an event in Pro Stock. He won Indy in Modified, but I just can't remember if he ever got a Wally at the pro level.

Sean D

tony christian ( i believe a modified winner from many years back)

Below is a breakdown of the Coughlin brothers NHRA national event class wins.

John Coughlin - Pro Stock Truck, Super Stock, Super Gas
Troy Coughlin - Pro Stock, ProMod, Super Gas
Mike Coughlin - Pro Stock Truck, Top Sportsman, Super Comp
Jeg Coughlin Jr - Pro Stock, Comp, Super Stock, Super Gas, Top Dragster

I am sure there is a pretty long list with some very familar names on it!

Thanks Woody...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back