TAFC woes (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
As of 3/4, the entry list at Gainesville shows a full field in TAD (barely), but only 9 TAFC signed up. I hope this is not an omen of things to come with the class.

NHRA was pondering allowing a-fuel TAFC cars, but decided not to. If the fields are short this year, imo NHRA should rip off the band-aid and allow a-fuel TAFC in 2022. Sure, they may lose racers, but the could also start to attract racers, rather than let the class dwindle to nothing.

Of course, measures could be implemented to lower the cost, but that would also likely make current TAFC racers unhappy since they've already spent the money.

A/FD has made made all but a select handful of blown dragsters uncompetitive. Would hate to see that happen to TA/FC. There used to be a reason for the "A" in the designation for these classes. There are several TA/FC out there who for different reasons don't come out. Making it more attractive for them to load up and come to the races might help.

A little shocked they only got 9 cars. There are few local runners down south so that does hurt the turnout plus there isn’t another national event in the area for 6 weeks. I would bet most Nationals will be on the short side this year.

A little shocked they only got 9 cars. There are few local runners down south so that does hurt the turnout plus there isn’t another national event in the area for 6 weeks. I would bet most Nationals will be on the short side this year.

It seems to me they are always a bit short this early in the year, still dead of winter for the Northeast and upper Midwest guys. Plus that is a long tow, especially for the West Coast guys.

Most of these folks still have real jobs, and are working now so they can race later when the weather breaks in their corner of the world, or when the tows aren't so far.

thats the big issue across the country....the class has priced out all of the local "hobbyist" racers. You can't put the Genie back in the bottle.

Sure you can. Allow a-fuel to open up to a new pool of racers. Or... allow only roots blowers. Or...do both but cut the nitro % to a point where roots could be competitive. Fuel pump,, aerodynamics, and others may have even better ideas to cut costs in the class.

While numbers this year may or may not be low, that doesn't mean NHRA couldn't plan for 2022 with rules that would lower the cost.

Bellemeur throwing out 5.40's paired with pro stock type lights is probably not helping. Scaring away the competition. (kidding of course). I've always enjoyed TAFC because they seem to talk to each other with throttle whacks before they go in to light the second bulb. Each class has ebbs and flows, hopefully it recovers sooner than later.

Hey! I've never been yelled at for having good lights before. hahaha. I can assure you all the car counts will increase. Keep in mind the ability to get parts is a struggle right now because of covid/weather. I know of three teams that are waiting on parts alone, then others that are still waiting for safer times to travel. The cars will come.

Pay better round money and treat the racers better would go a long way to bringing up the car counts. There are plenty of legal TA/FC cars out there,most seem to be sitting out due to crazy recert costs,the expense of travel,not enough good crew help,they ran hard for a few years and wore equipment out,or figured to run booked in stuff for guaranteed money.Pick any of the five and then add in racing against guys who have the wherewithdrawl that it does not matter how much is spent to run as hard as it takes to win (and that is what it all about right?) and the racers decided to kick back and sit out,but won't sell out, hoping to get back into the mix someday.

I think the upcomers are more interested in other things. It was easy getting people involved (and crew help) in TA/FC up until the end of the1990's. And it seemed most people wanting to be a crew member were more interested in what Ashley Force just ran than whether or not the clutch was properly reassembled in our car. They didn't last long. I remember how everyone thought the world would revolve around the sport compact crowd and that went away. Now it's no prep, street outlaw stuff, and drifting. What's next? Electric bikes? I just bought two. :)

Bellemeur throwing out 5.40's paired with pro stock type lights is probably not helping. Scaring away the competition. (kidding of course). I've always enjoyed TAFC because they seem to talk to each other with throttle whacks before they go in to light the second bulb. Each class has ebbs and flows, hopefully it recovers sooner than later.
The class ALWAYS needs to have the stallwarts, those teams are the carrots your chasing...but it shouldn't have to cost $350-500K to get into it

I think the upcomers are more interested in other things. It was easy getting people involved (and crew help) in TA/FC up until the end of the1990's. And it seemed most people wanting to be a crew member were more interested in what Ashley Force just ran than whether or not the clutch was properly reassembled in our car. They didn't last long. I remember how everyone thought the world would revolve around the sport compact crowd and that went away. Now it's no prep, street outlaw stuff, and drifting. What's next? Electric bikes? I just bought two. :)
Randy, you may have answered this before, but what would you say a top flite TAFC would cost to get into now...$500K for the car, then support equipment would vary? %15K per race, not hurting anything?

Randy, you may have answered this before, but what would you say a top flite TAFC would cost to get into now...$500K for the car, then support equipment would vary? %15K per race, not hurting anything?

For brand new stuff $250K+. At one time you could save money on 1-2 year old cars from Jay or Bartone and that's what some people did. The last time I ran TA/FC was 2012. After winning the Winternationals I called it quits. I'm thinking we were at $20,000+ per weekend amortizing everything out, flights, food, crankshafts, clutches, entry fees, etc., and we had to make a nickle look like a dollar to go that cheap.

I have about that in my Rick Jones Top Sportsman Camaro, but the cost to run it is pennies on the dollar compared to TA/FC.

For brand new stuff $250K+. At one time you could save money on 1-2 year old cars from Jay or Bartone and that's what some people did. The last time I ran TA/FC was 2012. After winning the Winternationals I called it quits. I'm thinking we were at $20,000+ per weekend amortizing everything out, flights, food, crankshafts, clutches, entry fees, etc., and we had to make a nickle look like a dollar to go that cheap.

I have about that in my Rick Jones Top Sportsman Camaro, but the cost to run it is pennies on the dollar compared to TA/FC.
Thanks for the context. Its sad to see the days of the 'privateers' gone away and you will continue to see its either a 'rich persons game' or people credited to the max to do it....very sad

You know what might be fun would be to start a heads up class running injected alky motors. Maybe gets an older body, etc. Just a thought. Used to see a class like that at Lions.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back