Tony Shoe Wins..... (1 Viewer)

As I see it, AJ WAS the sole determining factor in T/F. Without the record, Kalitta would have earned his championship but AJ stole it away fair and square. I would love to see AJ make a move next year. Oh, Please!!!!

So would I doc, so would I! ;)

BTW: Nobody can complain about diving.........

Mel had the jump and ran all the way.
So many scenarios this year and I can't recall ANY team asking one car to lay down for another.

WHAT a final......What a great Season.

BTW: What kind of S....Storm would have erupted if Sarge had gone TOO QUICK?!?!?!

No Rick Stewart failed. He walked right by Alan and did not shut him off. He is the ultimate one in control and could have not even given the light. It's dark, Alan's trying to check things over. Rick needs to grab abhold of him to make sure he knows to shut it off.

PJ, do you think after Rick told them to shut down he got orders to let him go from the tower? Something is not right because he went ahead and started the tree. And he did walk right past him, like you said.

Remember the Shoe team wiping up the oil after the burn out? They knew they had a problem and ran anyway. Someone could kave been killed. Not good.

You're sh!ttin me right? Are you Robert K's wife?? I'm pointing this to all that seem to have a boil on their butt over this. (not just you)

So a $20,000 fine isn't enough? That is a stout chunk of change..because it's not supposed to happen..ever. Now...are you saying they should have disqualified him? Disqualified him to compete on Sunday? PFFFFTT..why don't you guys eat the crap you just put in the congratulatory cereal that AJ and Shoe deserved eh?

I was rooting for Doug..but you can't deny what was accomplished in the final..you just can't..and still have any shade of credibility left. (thanks Kell)

Just bite the bullet and say 'good job'.

They showed a complete disregard for rules and safety. You really think 20K is a lot of money to a multi million doller team. To quote you: PFFFFTT.

PJ, do you think after Rick told them to shut down he got orders to let him go from the tower? Something is not right because he went ahead and started the tree. And he did walk right past him, like you said.

Remember the Shoe team wiping up the oil after the burn out? They knew they had a problem and ran anyway. Someone could kave been killed. Not good.

I wondered that too but I've never seen him have any communication device with him plus its not like he could hear anything standing there

Beyond what Alan Johnson did yesterday to ensure Tony S. won championship...

Tony should be kissing Melanie's right foot for that unconscious .026 light in the semi's. I mean come on! Doug was a .058, better than his average and Melanie straps that on him for the win!

If not for that .026 light, Tony wouldn't have had the opportunity in the final!

Alan Johnson is the end all, be all, of Fuel crew cheifs in my book!!

Really?
Really?
The numbers demonstrated that Coil had the inferior tune up to Todd's. Anyone could have seen that from Beckman's record run. I believe someone who knows how this sport works would understand that it was clearly decided at the starting line by the superior driver?
You're right - the driver is only to be praised when he has a crew chief that doesn't give him a winning tune-up yet wins the race. We know that the crew chief had nothing to do with the car going down the track in those scenarios. LOL! :rolleyes:

GROW UP PEOPLE!

It's the same story on here and it will be.

Tony Schumacher - regardless of who his crew cheif ever is, will never get credit for being a good driver because people dislike his dad's umbrella operation.

John Force - hung the moon. Don't matter what happens, he is god to the jabber jaws. Yes, he is good, and I like him, and he IS 14x champ. He has the back up to prove his goodness - but he had a crew there too.

Alan Johnson - deserves every bit of credit he gets. He is the best top fuel tuner ever.

Some things are just the way they are - but it doesn't mean they are all right.

YAWN....

I apologize if this was addressed already, but, while I'm not saying Alan was right for not shutting Tony off, does anyone really think he would have sent him if it was unsafe? I wasn't on the starting line, I was watching it on TV, but it seems like it smoked the tires because of the set-up, not because Tony staged in a puddle of oil.

Tony Schumacher - regardless of who his crew cheif ever is, will never get credit for being a good driver because people dislike his dad's umbrella operation.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

What I find interesting is that nobody has discussed what negativity we'd be reading had Alan shut Tony off Saturday night. Did it make a difference come race day? Nope.

That scenario has presented itself at least two other times (Beck back in the 80's to beat Jeb Allen & Ormsby vs. Amato a little later in the decade, or maybe in the early 90's) and nobody has been able to pull it off... until now. Absolutely amazing pass to steal the title... I was in the stands and I was in awe - heck, I still am.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

What I find interesting is that nobody has discussed what negativity we'd be reading had Alan shut Tony off Saturday night. Did it make a difference come race day? Nope.

That scenario has presented itself at least two other times (Beck back in the 80's to beat Jeb Allen & Ormsby vs. Amato a little later in the decade, or maybe in the early 90's) and nobody has been able to pull it off... until now. Absolutely amazing pass to steal the title... I was in the stands and I was in awe - heck, I still am.

Beck won the race but lost the war. He set an all time low ET 5.57 (not a NR) but failed to get Top Speed points and Jeb Allen won the title (1981). Amato beat Ormsby in 1990 with a winner take all final. Garlits' record run to the title in 1975 also rates up there too.

I'm still in awe at what Alan Johnson was able to do with the tuneup for that pass. Like Mike and Marty said, all it would have taken is one dumb little thing to make that pass completely worthless. The endless amount of things that could have went went wrong, like a timer malfunctioning to a blower belt breaking to a clutch disc welding itself too soon, etc...but didn't, make that feat even more amazing. He's definitely the best tuner Top Fuel has ever seen.

I apologize if this was addressed already, but, while I'm not saying Alan was right for not shutting Tony off, does anyone really think he would have sent him if it was unsafe?

Any fluid on the track makes it extremely dangerous. A driver, even Tony has to follow the directions of all track personnel, including the starter.

They did a fantastic job winning the championship but showed a complete disregard for safety and the rules. 95% of the people on here say that's bullsh-t. So I guess they were fined 20K for not polishing the wheels. :rolleyes:

The wizard waited until mid-season to start running the car, he didn't want it to look too easy!
Has anyone ever tagged him with a nickname? If not Merlin comes to mind.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for someone in the know to mention the rev-limiter? Seems it's been a problem operating properly a few times before as well? Could've been a simple malfunction, I guess?
Do the math?

Has anyone heard Alan say "we'll be back next year to do it again" ????
..... makes me wonder if AJ has indeed tuned his last DSR car?

Really?
Really?
The numbers demonstrated that Coil had the inferior tune up to Todd's. Anyone could have seen that from Beckman's record run. I believe someone who knows how this sport works would understand that it was clearly decided at the starting line by the superior driver?

As I see it, AJ WAS the sole determining factor in T/F. Without the record, Kalitta would have earned his championship but AJ stole it away fair and square. I would love to see AJ make a move next year. Oh, Please!!!!

Bobby, I was playing up to all of those people who jump in and say that Crew Chief's win races, not drivers, hence the smiley at the end of my post.

This season it was a race of averages and Coil and AJ turned out to be the best Fuel crew chiefs. Unfortunately next year consistency won't be rewarded as much as it has been in the past.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back